+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By mindy384
  • 2 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By echo226
  • 1 Post By Critical

Thread: 8/7 Show Discussion - "Actability"

8/7 Show Discussion - "Actability"

Holy cr@p! Double elimination! I like Lily and Michael and thought sure at least he would make it to the finals.

I still really want Blake to win, but I feel like Ryan Murphy REALLY wants Aylin to win. Unless she blows it or Blake steps it up, I think Aylin's going to get it. That would make up for TM losing his real choice, Cameron, last season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: 8/7 Show Discussion - "Actability"

It's going to make me sick if Aylin wins with her whole "Im changing the stereotypes of Muslims" farce.
    First, she should be ashamed of how she has publically insulted both her family and [presumably] her religion on tv for the sake of standing out. Second, just because she comes from a Turkish family doesn't inherently make her a follower of Islam--practicing this religion is a choice--and so far I haven't seen her act in any manner or say anything that indicates that she believes and practices her faith...on the contrary, all she seems to do is mention how she's not like her parents (who are believers) and how she enjoys doing things that they don't know about and would certainly offend 'fellow' Muslims and the God of her religion. I don't know how she keeps a straight face while looking at the camera and admitting things that will obviously hurt her parents and shame her family (and the giggling about it infuriates me). Finally, we all see right through this little act (with the exception of RM)--stop toying with an already precarious stereotype and insulting those who truly believe in this religion--it honestly makes me sick.
    In case she isn't aware, there are women in some parts of the world who truly struggle under certain religions, people who strongly value their faiths, and family units that value their honor and she is insulting all of these groups with her nonchalant attitude and laughter. I know some people will disagree but she has complained about the constraints of her family and religion every single episode without displaying a shred of remorse for how she is insulting her family and other Muslims. Further, if her family was that strict I can't imagine that she would have had all that freedom to, say, go out with boys or APPEAR ON THE GLEE PROJECT. I've never seen a clip of her praying (and seeing how she should be doing it multiple times daily I think they would have caught it at least once), I have yet to see her even make an attempt at modesty in her appearance and I don't know what a "Muslim Head Scarf" is (commonly knowns as a hijab--because Im pretty sure the editors would have included that?). I'd love to see different religions explored and I truly think it would add to the show (and be very beneficial for many Americans) to have a new face to associate with Islam but I'm sorry to say that Aylin is NOT a role model for young Muslims, young women, or ANYBODY.

Wow, you really don't like Aylin! I think she's a talented girl and I wouldn't hate seeing her on the show, but I'd prefer Blake. Sometimes I think Glee devolves into an ABC Afterschool Special and I fear that would happen if either Aylin or Ali won. I think Blake is just a good, solid actor and performer. No gimmicks or hook needed.

I was annoyed that the female writer said something about Blake not showing his weakness (or whatever word she used). Why does EVERY person on this show have to be a wounded bird? I happen to think nice, normal kids can be interesting too. They don't have to harbor some private pain to make me want to watch them or to show some vulnerability. I think Blake has shown lots of range, particularly after this week's video. One of the other writers said that Blake is a star and I think it's true. I didn't expect so much from him, but he's really impressed me. I think he'd fit into the cast and show seamlessly.

I like that they're focusing more on acting ability this season. Clearly, it's something they should have done more last season, based on the performances from the kids who ended up on Glee, especially Damian. I think he's adorable, but he didn't really light up unless he was singing a solo. He never really stood out otherwise.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Obviously the producers agree, since they announced that he won't be back for the new season. No word on Samuel or Alex yet
    Katydyd and mesachick like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Newbie

I was surprised by the double elimination especially based on the comments I thought Lilly would have stayed and Aly would have gone home.

I think it's down to Aylin and Blake and I can picture them both on the show. With regards to Aylin, she is the "rebellious" teen that is going against her parents wishes (at least that's my interpretation) which alot of teens can relate to. Blake can be depicted either way, he can be the likeable "Finn" character or he can be the villian. I think the show is lacking a strong male character as I never was a fan of Finn which to me leaves Kurt as the strongest male role. Puck is underutilized but I think it's cause of the behind the scenes drama. I can see them going with Aylin cause they had two male winners last year but since they are bringing back all of the "senior" cast to some capacity there is less of a need for a strong female role in my opinion. I can only think that Aly and the 2nd place finisher will still get a couple episodes.

I liked the trailer video more after watching it a second time. I think they all did very well in it, even Michael.

I was so sad to see Lily go home. Oh well, I still have Ali to root for.

I thought Ali's last chance performance was incredible. I think she's the strongest vocalist there, plus I like her acting and personality. I'm rooting for her to win it all.

Aylin, who I do not care for at all, did impresss me with her acting. Her last chance performance was pretty good too. RM seems to want her to win. Still, I don't get it. I think his idea is not as great as he thinks it is. I would prefer the other remaining two over her for the win.

I preferred Michael's vocals to Blake's last night. Blake was great in the video but his last chance performance was painful for me. I had to FF on it. Maybe it was just the song or something, but I don't think he fits in vocally with the same level as the other vocalists. He still seems to be a big favorite for most of the staff and RM seems to like him too.

So, will they chose a star over a storyline?

Just an off the wall opinion since ((gulp)) I don't watch Glee.

They did say Ryan will only be selecting ONE winner this year ... BUT ... I thought the "love" interaction between Blake and Ali on a previous episode was impressive. Tie that with this hypothetical "trailer" premise about a would-be-champion becoming disabled and there you have your story line ... vulnerabilities and all!

I don't know if anything like this has been done on Glee, but if not, it then becomes new.

I do not think it's going to be Aylin.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I liked the trailer video more after watching it a second time. I think they all did very well in it, even Michael.

I was so sad to see Lily go home. Oh well, I still have Ali to root for.

I thought Ali's last chance performance was incredible. I think she's the strongest vocalist there, plus I like her acting and personality. I'm rooting for her to win it all.

Aylin, who I do not care for at all, did impresss me with her acting. Her last chance performance was pretty good too. RM seems to want her to win. Still, I don't get it. I think his idea is not as great as he thinks it is. I would prefer the other remaining two over her for the win.

I preferred Michael's vocals to Blake's last night. Blake was great in the video but his last chance performance was painful for me. I had to FF on it. Maybe it was just the song or something, but I don't think he fits in vocally with the same level as the other vocalists. He still seems to be a big favorite for most of the staff and RM seems to like him too.

So, will they chose a star over a storyline?
    I think Michael's voice sounded better because he got the easier song. I liked the Elton John song back in the day, but it's not exactly good for showing off vocal talent. I think that song choice was very deliberate - they wanted to see how Blake would handle something that wasn't so intense or earnest.

I understand why Ryan wants to pick someone whose story he finds interesting, but I think he also has to go with a strong actor. I'm hoping he learned his lesson after last season and Damian. Not that I didn't like Damian, but he just never improved.

I don't think RM will pick two winners this time. He may give the other two a few episodes, but I can't see him picking two to have 7 episode arcs. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

I DO think he wants to pick Aylin. He's interested in her story and he did lose Cameron last season. I hope he doesn't pick Aylin, but I think she's his favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Just an off the wall opinion since ((gulp)) I don't watch Glee.

They did say Ryan will only be selecting ONE winner this year ... BUT ... I thought the "love" interaction between Blake and Ali on a previous episode was impressive. Tie that with this hypothetical "trailer" premise about a would-be-champion becoming disabled and there you have your story line ... vulnerabilities and all!

I don't know if anything like this has been done on Glee, but if not, it then becomes new.

I do not think it's going to be Aylin.
    I like your idea of Blake and Ali. I wonder if RM considered that? I think he's stuck on the storyline of Aylin being a Muslim, I guess. I don't find it as appealing as he seems to.

When I saw all those writers, I wondered how much writing does RM actually do? Hmmmm.....maybe those guys would have been helpful from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I like your idea of Blake and Ali. I wonder if RM considered that? I think he's stuck on the storyline of Aylin being a Muslim, I guess. I don't find it as appealing as he seems to.

When I saw all those writers, I wondered how much writing does RM actually do? Hmmmm.....maybe those guys would have been helpful from day 1.
    RM writes a fair amount of scripts each season and directs episodes as well, but I think he's also in control of the overall storyline. He definitely hasn't had as much involvement in the show since American Horror Story premiered last season....and I think it shows. Season 3 was the weakest.

I'll likely keep watching Glee, regardless of what happens, but I know I'd rather watch Blake on the show than Aylin or Ali.
    Duxxy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll likely keep watching Glee, regardless of what happens, but I know I'd rather watch Blake on the show than Aylin or Ali.
    I totally agree!
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

+ Reply to Thread