+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 7/31 Show Discussion - "Romanticality"

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/31 Show Discussion - "Romanticality"

They have some big shoes to fill with Rachel and Mercedes gone....Lily is one who could do it.
    Debb70 likes this.

I definitely want Lily or Aylin to win, with Blake the highest finishing guy. IMO Lily's voice is spectacular, she's pretty, and can act.
    Debb70 likes this.

I think Lily has a great voice, but there is just something about her expressions that I enjoy seeing, especially when she was looking at Michael in that video. Maybe she reminds me of someone I knew long ago or something, but I just like her for that reason.

I also enjoy watching Ali. I find her very visually appealing for some reason too. Plus, she' got a great voice.

FORT Fogey

I was negative about Lily for a few weeks, but as she said herself....the judges were pleased with the softer Lily and I guess I was too. That is not to say that she should turn her personality off, but she could just act human......with good and bad points....highs and lows.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I was negative about Lily for a few weeks, but as she said herself....the judges were pleased with the softer Lily and I guess I was too. That is not to say that she should turn her personality off, but she could just act human......with good and bad points....highs and lows.
    Yeah, she definitely has a personality that she needs to reign in at times, but I think the show picked her for that and played it up as much as possible. I guess I am jaded enough to think these shows pick characters to be on these contest shows. For example, there is the good looking jock, smart asp, handicap, etc. and they want each to add a little something for drama purposes.

I like Lily and would prefer her to Aylin as the winner, but I still want Blake to win. I think he's the most natural on camera as an actor. While it's great if they can sing and dance, they'll be doing more acting on Glee than anything else. I think that was the problem with Damian. He was cute and charming while he was singing, but he didn't have much in the way of acting ability. I think Samuel did better on the acting front and he did improve.

I don't think any of the final 5 would be bad on Glee, but I just think Blake would do the best on the show.

I think RM changes his opinions on various contestants as he sees more from them. After all, this is a job interview, not a talent contest. He needs the winner to be able to handle the rigors of a tough production schedule and fit in with the group (both in front of and behind the camera).....and have the personality to stand out.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

If RM is really going on vocal talent, then Lily would probably win. If he's going on voice and acting then Ally is the best choice. If he wants to replace Finn, then Blake will win. If he wants an interesting storyline Aylin will win. It's all up to RM because it's his show and what he wants seems to change on a dime. As a Glee watcher, I think Ally's character has been done too much, Artie and Quinn. It's not new and different anymore, but she would be a good guest as the member of a rival show choir like Vocal Adrenaline. If I had to pick one of them I would watch, I would pick Blake, even if he's not the strongest actual performer. Lily and Aylin are too over the top for me.

I'd pick Blake because he seems to be the most natural in front of the camera. Although I like him, Michael takes too long to get up to speed and Aylin and Lily are too hammy. I like Ali, but she looks a bit older than the rest of them. RM said from the beginning that he was looking for someone who looked young, so he could cast them as a Freshman or Sophomore....although if that was his only determining factor, Michael would win out of these 5 and Dani would still be around!

I think Blake has shown that he can adapt quickly, work hard (remember that Tenacity video shoot?) and he can act. Although he has been cast as the hunky jock in several of the video shoots, I was impressed with him in the Boy George makeup. Not only did he look great, but he looked just as comfortable in that costume than he does as himself. If he can get his harmonizing problems sorted out, I think he's the best fit for Glee.

The mistake I think RM made last season was seemingly just going on singing ability and personality. I think Samuel got better acting-wise, but Damian never seemed comfortable NOT singing and Alex and Lindsay were way too over-the-top.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Good point Critical about the kids last year not being actors......neither was RM's long time fav who quit. So hopefully he learned and will be casting someone who can take on a story line and not just sing.

However, the point of RM's whims still is important. I am thinking back to at least 3 story lines in the past year or two: A)Chad Overstreet.....out publically and then he was taken back B) Sue's political life.....the story line ended with one sentence "Oh I lost". C)The kid who plays Puck was "suspended" from GLEE for pushing his own singing career. When he was allowed to come back, they continued to punish him by showing a scene when he was picked out of the trash barrel by the Lauren character. And then his long romance with Lauren was so sily and improbable.

I guess the seniors leaving GLEE then the announcement that all will be returning in some capacity also fits under the RM whim.

Well, Chord Overstreet left because he didn't want a reduced role on the show for the first half or so of the season - his departure was his choice, not Ryan's. As for Sue's political career, I don't think that storyline was very popular, so he probably dropped it because of that. I didn't know Mark Saling had been suspended. Hadn't heard anything about that. There may be something in the contract they signed that precludes them from putting out any music on their own. If so, then he should have been suspended or whatever happened to him

I don't think the dumpster/Lauren storyline had anything to do with punishing the actor. I think it had to do with humanizing Puck.

If RM is the showrunner, I think he needs to be open to changing his mind to do what's right for the show. Or at least what he thinks is right. I wouldn't call it "whim," I'd call it adaptation and making decisions as the creator of a show. I'd much rather see that than watch a show where a storyline isn't working, but they just keep going with it, in spite of what the audience thinks. Lots of shows change mid-stream. Certain actors become popular, certain actors that the producers think will be popular aren't and the people in charge have to adapt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12