+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 7/10 Show Discussion "Fearlessness"

7/10 Show Discussion "Fearlessness"

Yay! Finally, Jane Lynch. She was wonderful and supportive. I liked everything she had to share with Ailyn.
    I'm devastated that Charlie was cut for the reasons he was cut, it certainly wasn't his talent. I'm kinda hoping there's a bit of backlash. They'll tolerate visible handicaps but not the unseen. Poor Nellie. Great talent, lots of potential, she's too wrapped up in her shortcomings to really shine.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Re: 7/10 Show Discussion "Fearlessness"

Well, I'm sorry to see Charlie go because I think he's very talented, but I'd begun to question whether he would be up for the rigors of Glee.....even if they did acknowledge his Aspbergers and ADHD. I think those challenges would have been more of an issue in production than, say, Mario's blindness or Ali's wheelchair. With Charlie, interpersonal communication is a problem and I get the feeling that one of the most important qualities they're looking for is someone who's easy to deal with and get along with. While Charlie can't help how he is (the way that Lily could adjust her attitude, if she wanted), I can still see it being a problem.

At this point, for me, the only two acceptable winners would be Blake and Michael. I'd love to see Nellie win, but I don't think she's going to last much longer. I wish you could give someone a pill that would give them more confidence! She looked just fine in that swimsuit. Heck, Lily outweighs her by probably 100+ pounds and look at her in that music video. She just went for it. I still don't want Lily to win - I think her bad attitude is still a problem - but I admire her confidence.
    mesachick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Jane Lynch was a great mentor. I was not sorry to see Charlie go. The romance was getting hard to take and I just thought that he was pulled into the attention-getting romance by Aylin ( who of course had to tell us yet again....flirtatious....Muslim .... yawn). I was sorry to see Ryan so positive to her.....that she would represent and serve as a model to many girls. Yea??Who??

Loved Nellie's song---what a heartfelt job she did

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Jane Lynch was a great mentor. I was not sorry to see Charlie go. The romance was getting hard to take and I just thought that he was pulled into the attention-getting romance by Aylin ( who of course had to tell us yet again....flirtatious....Muslim .... yawn). I was sorry to see Ryan so positive to her.....that she would represent and serve as a model to many girls. Yea??Who??

Loved Nellie's song---what a heartfelt job she did
    The millions of young Muslim women who don't have any positive role models on TV? At this point, Aylin isn't entirely positive, but I think she could be. I was impressed with her LCP last night. She's got a great voice. Hopefully, without Charlie distracting her, she'll up her game and take the competition more seriously.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I assumed that was what he meant...but I don't see a) that big of a Muslim audience in America b) Aylin playing that "positive" role. She has gone out of way to show that she is deliberately going against what she has been taught in her family.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I assumed that was what he meant...but I don't see a) that big of a Muslim audience in America b) Aylin playing that "positive" role. She has gone out of way to show that she is deliberately going against what she has been taught in her family.
    Well, as of 2010, the Muslim population in this country alone was 2.6 million. I'm sure it's increased markedly since then. Plus, Glee isn't shown in just America. I'd assume that lots of those Muslims watch TV and many are young girls who don't see any girls that look like them.

Aylin is one of about a half dozen contestants on this show who has moved or is planning a move to LA. She's obviously a traditional Muslim girl. But, she could show that not being strictly observant doesn't make you a bad person. Still, RM could make her character more observant and that would be a positive thing for people to see. Usually, all we see of Muslims on scripted TV is negative stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, as of 2010, the Muslim population in this country alone was 2.6 million. I'm sure it's increased markedly since then. Plus, Glee isn't shown in just America. I'd assume that lots of those Muslims watch TV and many are young girls who don't see any girls that look like them.

Aylin is one of about a half dozen contestants on this show who has moved or is planning a move to LA. She's obviously a traditional Muslim girl. But, she could show that not being strictly observant doesn't make you a bad person. Still, RM could make her character more observant and that would be a positive thing for people to see. Usually, all we see of Muslims on scripted TV is negative stereotypes.
    Or he could just make her a Muslim girl who is struggling with how to be part of the world and still be part of her family, which seems to be basically what Aylin is doing (or should I say overdoing!).
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Or he could just make her a Muslim girl who is struggling with how to be part of the world and still be part of her family, which seems to be basically what Aylin is doing (or should I say overdoing!).
    OR she could just portray herself and maybe people who don't know a thing about Islam or Muslims other than "terrorist" might learn something.

Aylin's not one of my favorites, but I can't deny that she's got a great voice.

I'm still not a BIG fan of Lily, but it does seem like she's working on the issues that put her in the bottom 3 a few weeks back. I was impressed with her performance this week. I wouldn't be too upset if she won, because it would be nice to have a big girl on the show who could actually sing. I never understood Lauren Zizes on the show. She can't sing, can't dance and had a nasty personality. What's not to love, right?
    Miss_Griss likes this.

FORT Fogey

I guess we will just disagree on the value of Aylin as any kind of role model. I will agree with you that Lily as the big girl would be an interesting move. Why and how anybody hired Lauren for that role remains a mystery. All the things you noted were true but to kick in that Puck was interested in her and pursued her madly just made her role totally unbelievable.

I watched last night and it was sad to see Charlie leave. I love to see that guy perform.

Nellie was frustrating to me. Too much whining over herself. She doesn't seem like someone who is cut out for being a peformer. Even when she is on stage, she shrinks down. I think she has the most lovely voice on the show, but her personality screams misery and it's not attractive. I'm done with that.

Michael didn't impress me again, although, his voice sounded good to me.

Blake reminds of the younger Ashton Krutcher from that 70's show. Been there, done that. I don't get him.

I don't find Alyn or Shanna visually interesting, but they sure do sing well. Still, it's not enough for me.

I loved Lily and Ali! I find them both amusing to watch and think they really want the job.

I loved both songs that they performed, expecially the first one. I thought they all sounded great in that song. I know Nellie flubbed her first set of lines, but she did recover well and made up for it. It's just her negativity that bothers me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast