+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 6/26 Show Discussion Thread - "Sexuality"

Re: 6/26 Show Discussion Thread - "Sexuality"

I think that's the problem. He's not repeating the same mistakes, but he's making new ones. I don't know that there's any way to predict the things he'll do so that someone can tell him not to do it.

As far as I can tell, none of the judges/mentors are at all dialed in to the fact that his Aspberger's is playing a part in this. It seems kind of unfair to me.
    mesachick and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that's the problem. He's not repeating the same mistakes, but he's making new ones. I don't know that there's any way to predict the things he'll do so that someone can tell him not to do it.

As far as I can tell, none of the judges/mentors are at all dialed in to the fact that his Aspberger's is playing a part in this. It seems kind of unfair to me.
    I think it's unfair, too.

As for helping him not make mistakes, I'm not saying that they can warn him in advance what not to do. What I'm saying is that since they know he has an issue with impulsivity and failure to read people's signals, they need to come up with a system for signaling him when he's getting out of control. It could be something as simple as saying, "Mashed potatoes" or some other word that's totally out of context and tells him that he's being inappropriate. I'm guessing that 80% of the time he'll know where he's messing up if he stops and thinks about it. The other 20%, he can ask what he's doing, and they can tell him.

Given that he has the conditions he has, it's not something he can just stop doing, but if they want to work with him, there are ways to set up a structure that will allow him to perform adequately within it. At least I think there are. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can say more.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Thumbs up Re: 6/26 Show Discussion Thread - "Sexuality"

I am a teacher of children with mild disabling conditions like Charlie. You have it EXACTLY right.

I taught a 12-year-old boy this year who is a lot like Charlie. Really nice kid with a cute, outgoing personality, but he just took it too far, didn't know boundaries and when to dial it back a little. It caused him problems with peers as well as his teachers. Most kids and adults found him annoying, but I loved him, because I realized he was fighting his impulsivity every day. And yes, I did try to help him learn what was appropriate. Day in and day out.

While there's a certain element of "can't help it" involved, individuals with mild disabilities such as ADHD and high-functioning autism need to learn to function in the real world where they don't cut you a break for having a disability.

I feel like they chose Charlie for the show partly because of his back story, but now they're ignoring it, so he appears to be a charming, but clueless clod. Unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I think it's unfair, too.

As for helping him not make mistakes, I'm not saying that they can warn him in advance what not to do. What I'm saying is that since they know he has an issue with impulsivity and failure to read people's signals, they need to come up with a system for signaling him when he's getting out of control. It could be something as simple as saying, "Mashed potatoes" or some other word that's totally out of context and tells him that he's being inappropriate. I'm guessing that 80% of the time he'll know where he's messing up if he stops and thinks about it. The other 20%, he can ask what he's doing, and they can tell him.

Given that he has the conditions he has, it's not something he can just stop doing, but if they want to work with him, there are ways to set up a structure that will allow him to perform adequately within it. At least I think there are. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can say more.

I really hope that Charlie hangs in there. Ryan did say he really liked him, though he was a hot mess. I do too. I like his on camera look and personality. Plus, he has a great voice IMO. I think he has a large range. Besides, if Ryan likes him enough, he'll make the problems okay. I think the whole bit of him recording and flirting to the side, was staged. Sorry, but I can't buy that. IMO that was planned. I'm not sure about the thing when he was standing on the table, but the other part in the recording booth, I don't buy.

I have finally arrived at my favorites. I'm not sure why, but I seem to favor the trouble makers. LOL I really like Lily, Charlie, and Mario. I thought Mario sexy singing in the first number was spot on. He looked so into it. And I am very impressed with his singing voice. He has won me over. His attitude doesn't bother me. I also like Ali. I find her very interesting to watch and I think she sings great too.

I'm not impressed with Michael, Alyn or Shanna. They just don't speak to me and I don't hear what others do with their voices. I think they are average in almost every area.

I'm just okay with the rest of the contestants.

My cousin's oldest has Aspberger's, so I'm fairly familiar with the challenges that Charlie faces although, of course, every person is different. I love this show, but I'm frustrated that they aren't addressing Charlie's Aspberger's and helping make accommodations for him. They do it for Mario and don't think a thing of it. Charlie is dealing with challenges too, they're just not obvious physically. The way the mentors/judges reacted just shows how much more education needs to be done about the autism spectrum.

If Charlie didn't have so much talent, I guess I wouldn't be as annoyed. I was so impressed with how he sang his last chance song this week and put his own spin on it, even though he'd never heard it before.
    Duxxy, Allie, mesachick and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Michael is just so generic - I don't think he's ready yet. Aylin bugs the heck out of me, I like her singing and in the videos but the other times she annoys me
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My 13yo son has Asperger's, and he's a lot like Charlie. His mind just never seems to stop, plus he has a difficult time following directions, especially when he feels that his way of doing things is a better way. In school it's quite the challenge, going against a school's systematic way of teaching, and he just figures out shortcuts to do things. You can't argue with his method, it usually is better, makes more sense, and he gets all A's and B's lol. Maybe he'll decide to change the way schools teach kids when he becomes an adult, he sure has plenty of fantastic ideas! I do wish they'd address Charlie's being an Aspie. They already have that one girl on the show that supposedly has it (although they really haven't touched on it much). The issue with having Aspergers is that it is not something that people see beyond how different the child acts. Most people just assume the parents are horrible and don't discipline the kid (not true), or that the child is just a brat (also not true). Being in a wheelchair, being blind... it's something that people can see. Aspergers/Autism - it is an issue, considering 1 out of 6 boys are affected with it now.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    My 13yo son has Asperger's, and he's a lot like Charlie. His mind just never seems to stop, plus he has a difficult time following directions, especially when he feels that his way of doing things is a better way. In school it's quite the challenge, going against a school's systematic way of teaching, and he just figures out shortcuts to do things. You can't argue with his method, it usually is better, makes more sense, and he gets all A's and B's lol. Maybe he'll decide to change the way schools teach kids when he becomes an adult, he sure has plenty of fantastic ideas! I do wish they'd address Charlie's being an Aspie. They already have that one girl on the show that supposedly has it (although they really haven't touched on it much). The issue with having Aspergers is that it is not something that people see beyond how different the child acts. Most people just assume the parents are horrible and don't discipline the kid (not true), or that the child is just a brat (also not true). Being in a wheelchair, being blind... it's something that people can see. Aspergers/Autism - it is an issue, considering 1 out of 6 boys are affected with it now.
    Exactly! My cousin's son gets into trouble for fighting, but it's because there are kids who tease and bully him to the point where he lashes out because he doesn't pick up on social cues that would tell him the kids are setting him up. They act like they want to be friends with him and he believes them, time and time again. Then they turn on him and say horrible things and he gets upset. He's lucky that his current school is really understanding, but those little monsters that tease him still keep doing it. I do worry what will happen in a few years, when he's in high school.

I thought sure Charlie's Aspbergers would be discussed more during the show, since they made a point of bringing it up during the auditions. I hope they finally do address it soon. I think it's easy to look at him and think he looks "normal" vs. the obvious physical challenges that Ally and Mario deal with. If you didn't know better, you might think that Charlie is just being difficult and unprofessional. I sure wish he would speak up and explain that he sometimes has trouble knowing what the limits are because of his Aspbergers.

I think that, if they worked with him a little bit and got some education about it, Charlie could be doing so much better in the competition. He's obviously very talented. I do wonder if the producers would be willing to that kind of work with him long term on Glee. It seems like that show's schedule is pretty punishing, especially for the glee club kids, and that they need everyone to just be easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought sure Charlie's Aspbergers would be discussed more during the show, since they made a point of bringing it up during the auditions. I hope they finally do address it soon. I think it's easy to look at him and think he looks "normal" vs. the obvious physical challenges that Ally and Mario deal with. If you didn't know better, you might think that Charlie is just being difficult and unprofessional. I sure wish he would speak up and explain that he sometimes has trouble knowing what the limits are because of his Aspbergers.
    I guess I missed this in Charlie's audition. I actually came on the forum tonight because I've been watching the show and wondered if charlie had ever been diagnosed with ASperger's. Like so many are saying, it certainly explains his behavior. I really feel for him -- it must be so frustrating to try so hard to fit in and constantly be just a little out of step.

During the audition special, Charlie said that he has Aspberger's and ADHD. His profile info from Oxygen (it's in the info in his thread here: Charlie - Season 2) says he has severe ADHD as well.

It absolutely explains his behavior. I hope they bring this up and try to help him and don't just give him the boot. I'm still not sure that he would be a good fit for the show, but I think he's very talented.
    TripleGemini and mesachick like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast