+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread - "Vulnerability"

Re: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread - "Vulnerability"

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post

ETA: oh and as much as they didn't like Charlie taking Mario's cane - they used it in the video.
    I think this is really bothering me because I'm dwelling on it. Didn't Charlie say in the first show that he has mild Aspergers's Syndrome? One of the markers is not being able to recognize social cues and boundaries. It bugs me that they called so much attention to it and then punished him by putting him in the bottom 3 for it.
    mesachick and Debb70 like this.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I think this is really bothering me because I'm dwelling on it. Didn't Charlie say in the first show that he has mild Aspergers's Syndrome? One of the markers is not being able to recognize social cues and boundaries. It bugs me that they called so much attention to it and then punished him by putting him in the bottom 3 for it.
    I completely forgot that Charlie had mentioned the Asperger's. That would be a perfect explanation for why he didn't realize that grabbing Mario's stick would be a very bad idea. I wonder why the judges didn't think of that.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I completely forgot that Charlie had mentioned the Asperger's. That would be a perfect explanation for why he didn't realize that grabbing Mario's stick would be a very bad idea. I wonder why the judges didn't think of that.
    I don't know. I thought of it immediately! I think he said that he has ADHD and mild Asperger's,so it wasn't surprising at all that he acted impulsively without realizing the implications. He clearly felt really bad once he realized what he'd done!
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-24-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    Duxxy likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I don't know. I thought of it immediately! I think he said that he has ADHD and mild Asperger's,so it wasn't surprising at all that he acted impulsively without realizing the implications. He clearly felt really bad once he realized what he'd done!
    I teach kids like Charlie. The impulsiveness from the ADHD combined with the social cluelessness that is part of being mildly Asperger's is the first thing I thought about. Poor Charlie - that was embarrassing for him. Still, people like that have to learn social expectations and to control their impulsivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I guess it depends on the high school. Some of the most popular kids in my school were heavy like Lily. I think it has more to do with personality and attitude than looks.

Physically, I think she's beautiful - I said at the beginning of the season that she reminded me of Sara Rue when she was heavier. Agreed that it's her personality that makes her ugly.
    I agree! In my high school, the girl who won Prom Queen was obese, she was also very popular..

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    I teach kids like Charlie. The impulsiveness from the ADHD combined with the social cluelessness that is part of being mildly Asperger's is the first thing I thought about. Poor Charlie - that was embarrassing for him. Still, people like that have to learn social expectations and to control their impulsivity.
    That's too bad too. I wish people could just be accepted for who they are, impulsiveness and all. The social expectations part, man is that a pandora's box of ugly. Charlie's only real fault that I can see is not telling Mario of his plan first, or bringing his idea to the director, before just doing it. Although there was a much better reaction from Mario what with the spontaneity of the whole thing.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123