+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread - "Vulnerability"

Re: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread - "Vulnerability"

I think there's a thin line between bullies and the bullied. I think there are many bullies who become bullies to avoid being bullied themselves.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Why is she "gross looking"? Because she's overweight? I think she's beautiful and she's got a great voice. It's her attitude that makes her ugly.
    In a high school setting, that weight would have made her the kid the others pick on.

She's gross looking because of her attitude. She's got this ugly look on her face a lot of times and it just makes her very unappealing. I've always believed that a persons insides will eventually show on their faces. Hers has started to show.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I guess it depends on the high school. Some of the most popular kids in my school were heavy like Lily. I think it has more to do with personality and attitude than looks.

Physically, I think she's beautiful - I said at the beginning of the season that she reminded me of Sara Rue when she was heavier. Agreed that it's her personality that makes her ugly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I think Lily is beautiful too, well I did, I find her less and less likable by the week. Harmony I will tell you 2 things about fat chicks - 1)the confident ones can get anything and anywhere they want to be.
    People discount us because of how we look but our personality and charisma can carry us pretty damned far. We have loyal friends and believe or not, 2) we get the guy too. I completely believe Lily was a bully and she still is.

The reason I came tonight: Crit I'm watching the show again and I swear Cory was coached before he even saw the kids perform. Robert is right in there with commentary and it sounds previously discussed. If you get a chance to watch it again let me know what you think.

ETA: oh and as much as they didn't like Charlie taking Mario's cane - they used it in the video.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 06-21-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I think Lily is beautiful too, well I did, I find her less and less likable by the week. Harmony I will tell you 2 things about fat chicks - 1)the confident ones can get anything and anywhere they want to be.
    People discount us because of how we look but our personality and charisma can carry us pretty damned far. We have loyal friends and believe or not, 2) we get the guy too. I completely believe Lily was a bully and she still is.

The reason I came tonight: Crit I'm watching the show again and I swear Cory was coached before he even saw the kids perform. Robert is right in there with commentary and it sounds previously discussed. If you get a chance to watch it again let me know what you think.

ETA: oh and as much as they didn't like Charlie taking Mario's cane - they used it in the video.
    I noticed that. Their selection of the bottom 3 was just too nit picky. IMO none of them deserved to be there, they just wanted Ryan to check them out.

Lily doesn't bother me as much as she does others. I find her rather amusing. I hope she stays around. In fact, I thought all three in the bottom were fantastic! Their performances were great. I'm glad I didn't have to boot one of them. They all need to stay longer IMO.

I do wish I thought someone other than a cute boy could win it. They may pretend someone else is tough competition, but I don't buy it.

Since the public doesn't vote, anybody Ryan Murphey and the others want to win can win - boy, girl, tall, short, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    Since the public doesn't vote, anybody Ryan Murphey and the others want to win can win - boy, girl, tall, short, whatever.
    I realize that is what we are told, however, I have heard that the Glee Project is really a marketing ploy for the show Glee and is not really intended as a vehicle to locate new mainstream talent for the show. Perhaps that is why last season great talent was ignored for the cute boys. I am curious to see how it is handled this season. From past experience, I ignore much of what Ryan Murphy says in the bottom 3 auditions. It's usually the opposite of what he says.

FORT Fanatic

Again, it's not about who is the best performer. It's who they can write a role for that will mesh with the current "characters". Since Finn and Puck graduated, they could use a good looking popular guy character. I am not sure what role some of the participants could play that would be compelling and actually add something to the show. I think "who would I want to watch?"

It's not about the most talented or the best looking or whatever. It's just who Ryan wants to write for. I'm sure the producers of the show at Oxygen have their opinions and maybe they would do something like put Charlie in the bottom three knowing that he's not going anywhere. The decision is ultimately Ryan's and if he wants to write for one of the guys - and frankly, the guys are standing out more than the girls this season - that's who he'll pick.

Because these kids are largely inexperienced as actors, keeping their potential characters as close to their actual personalities as possible is a smart move. If they can be natural and likeable on camera, that's more than half the battle.

FORT Fogey

The last page of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY is THE BULLSEYE...entertainment events that were right on target or missed the mark. They had The Glee Project near the center with these words: "You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll sing. TGP may be the summer's most perfect hour of TV."

Nice words that I hope will increase their viewership
    Duxxy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast