Closed Thread

Thread: The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

This thread seemed to work well for last season, so we're going to try it again.

Week 1: Individuality
    Homework assignment: “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga
    Guest Glee judge: Lea Michele (aka Rachel Berry)
    Assignment winner: Alanna
    Music Video: Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again”
    Bottom 3: Maxfield, who sang a lackluster version of Willie Nelson’s classic “Always on My Mind”; Tyler, who was confused by the judges’ choice of the Jackson Five’s “ABC”; and Aylin nails a rendition of “Without You” by David Guetta and Usher, although the judges think it pales in comparison to Lea Michele’s version of the same song.
    Eliminated: Ultimately, Ryan Murphy opted to send Maxfield home.

Next week: Samuel Larson (season 1 co-winner) will be on hand to mentor the kids in “Dance-ability”

Re: The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

Week 2: Dance-ability

Homework assignment: "We Got the Beat" by The Go-Go's. I was waiting for someone to refer to this song as an “oldie,” at which point I would have run screaming from the room....or curl into a ball and weep.

Guest Glee judge: Samuel Larson (aka, Joe Hart and co-winner of season 1 of The Glee Project)

Assignment winner: Abraham

Music Video: "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO, which depicted a house party where every cast member played tonsil hockey with every other cast member in a game of Spin the Bottle. It was sort of horrifying.

Bottom 3: Dani, who gave a lackluster performance in the video, sang an emotional rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s "Landslide"; Tyler, who sang "Daniel" by Elton John, which was much more in his wheelhouse than last week’s Jackson 5 song and; a surprisingly snotty Lily Mae, who belted out "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" by Shania Twain.

Eliminated: Ultimately, Ryan Murphy sent Dani home saying that, although she is an artist, she’s just not the right fit for Glee.

Highlights (or low-lights, depending on how you look at it):
    • Aylin acting like a slutty kid in a beefcake candy store and attempting to stuff her tongue down the throat of every male contestant on the show. I was worried she’d tackle poor Samuel and try to hump his leg.
    • Taryn crying on the phone to her mother and then going home with no fanfare or weepy goodbye. Later alligator. I hate a quitter.
    • Lilly talking back during her critique and admitting that she did the same thing to her h.s. vocal coach.
    • Mario showing a little bite when the group is dividing up lines for the homework assignment. Well, MEEE-ow. I had him pegged as a big teddy bear.
    • Dani showing a horrifying lack of rhythm in the video shoot. If Ryan Murphy had a little more vision, he would have cast her as Finn’s even less coordinated cousin.
    Next week: Cory Monteith (aka Finn Hudson) will be on hand to mentor the kids in “Vulnerability” and everyone gets diagnosed with Mono.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-13-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Week 3: Vulnerability

Homework assignment: “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson

Guest Glee judge: A surprisingly dishy Cory Monteith (aka Finn Hudson)

Assignment winner: Nellie

Music Video: In this week’s video, for "Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M. , the kids will tackle the subject of bullying. Some play the bully, others the bullies and many play both. It’s surprisingly good.

Bottom 3: Indignant about being in the bottom 3 again, Lily belts out “Mercy” by Duffy; Charlie puts his own spin on Coldplay’s “Fix You” and; Mario sings a sweet version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

Eliminated: No one. It’s only week 3 and already Ryan Murphy decides to NOT eliminate someone. The likelihood of him only picking one winner at the end just went down.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Charlie taking the bully role a bit too far and grabbing Mario’s cane during the video shoot. He later apologized.
    • Lily admitting that, in middle school, she was a bully. She says she changed her ways and apologized to one of her victims after seeing the movie Mean Girls.
    • Lily giving more attitude during the video shoot and having problems with lip-synching
    • Mario giving attitude about his classical training to Nikki Anders both in the sound booth and when the bottom 3 are announced.
    • Blake “winning” the video shoot by being called back first.
    • Nellie finally getting a chance to shine, but admitting to she’s afraid of making a fool of herself.
    Next week: Naya Rivera (aka Santana Lopez) gives the kids a lesson in “Sexuality.”

Week 4: Sexuality

Homework assignment: "I Wanna Sex You Up" – Color Me Badd ....and it was just as bad as you imagine.

Guest Glee judge: Naya Rivera (aka Santana Lopez)

Assignment winner: Charlie

Music Video: This week’s video, a mash-up of "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 and “Milkshake" by Kelis has the kids pretending to get sexy in a Sex Ed class, with varying degrees of success.

Bottom 3: In spite of the fact that he rubbed everyone the wrong way during the video shoot, Charlie charmed the judges with Cole Porter’s “I Get a Kick Out of You”; Tyler sang Charlie Chaplin’s “Smile,” which he claimed to have never heard before; Michael, who forgot the lyrics in the recording studio this week, fumbled his way through “Lucky” by Jason Mraz, making up his own lyrics when he forgot the words.

Eliminated: Tyler

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Charlie getting bossy during the video shoot
    • Aylin continuing her quest to make out with and/or straddle every male in the cast
    • Nellie finally letting loose – at the right time – and showing her sexy size to win this week’s video shoot
    • Mario announcing that he would work on NOT rubbing people the wrong way and then being nearly invisible during the episode
    • The judges deciding that the positive change in Abraham is all due to him removing the red streak from his hair
    Next week: Kevin McHale (aka Artie Abrams) teaches the kids about “Adaptability”
    Last edited by Critical; 07-31-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Don't mind me. Just learning how to count....

Week 5: Adaptability

Homework assignment: In the spirit of adaptability, the kids are assigned their lines, rather than being able to choose them, for "You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morissette

Guest Glee judge: Kevin McHale (aka Artie Abrams)

Assignment winner: Aylin

Music Video: Continuing the adaptability theme, the kids aren’t told what the song will be until they get into the sound booth and many don’t know the words to this week’s song, “Price Tag” by Jessie J.

Bottom 3 Bottom 6: Again in keeping with the adaptability theme, the bottom six are chosen to perform in pairs for Ryan Murphy. He will select the bottom three from those six. Nellie and Blake perform a touching and surprisingly emotional version of "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner; Ali and Abraham give an uneven (Abraham), but funny (Ali) performance of "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry and; Mario and Charlie pair up to belt out "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" by Elton John.

Bottom Three:
    Abraham
    Charlie
    Mario

Eliminated: Mario

Next week: Jane Lynch is on hand to give a lesson in “Fearlessness.”
    Last edited by Critical; 07-31-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Week 6: Fearlessness

Homework assignment: "Now That We Found Love" by Heavy D & The Boyz and it’s weird and awkward and kind of hilarious…probably not the adjectives they were going for.

Guest Glee judge: Jane Lynch (aka Sue Sylvester)

Assignment winner: Lily

Music Video: In this week’s video shoot, the kids pretend to be a swim team and have to perform for the cameras while being slushied repeatedly and singing a mash-up of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar and "One Way or Another" by Blondie. Did I mention they all wore swimsuits and had to perform some of the song under water?

Bottom 3 : Aylin belts out a powerful rendition of "Take a Bow" by Rihanna; Charlie wows the judges with the Tom Jones classic "It's Not Unusual" and; Nellie gives an emotional performance of Beyoncé’s "If I Were a Boy.”

Eliminated: In spite of his impressive last chance performance, Charlie was sent home.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Lily’s confidence at the video shoot and owning her body in a swimsuit
    • Charlie and Aylin’s relationship being back on again in time for him to be sent home
    • Nellie’s anguish over being in a swimsuit in public
    • Ali’s physical breakdown after being out of her wheelchair while being slushied over and over again (extreme changes in temperature are hard for her system to handle)
    • Michael narrowly avoiding the bottom 3 after getting the same corrections as always about being too slow to get going
    Next week: Grant Gustin (aka Sebastian Smythe, aka the Warbler that tried to break up Blaine and Kurt) is on hand for “Theatricality.”
    Last edited by Critical; 07-31-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Week 7: Theatricality

Homework assignment: “I Hope I Get It” from A Chorus Line

Guest Glee judge: Grant Guston (aka Sebastian Smythe)

Assignment winner: Ali

Music Video: In this week’s video, “When I Grow Up” by the Pussycat Dolls, the contestants play grocery store employees who fantasize about being various music icons. They play scenes in their store uniform and then as their icon. The icons were assigned as follows:
    Michael – Elvis Presley
    Aylin – Madonna
    Abraham – David Bowie
    Blake – Boy George
    Lily – Cyndi Lauper
    Ali – Katy Perry (pushing the “icon” thing a bit there, I think)
    Shanna – Lady Gaga
    Nellie – Britney Spears.

Bottom 3 : Nellie belted out “The Only One” by Melissa Etheridge; Abraham impressed with his version of “Stereo Hearts” by Gym Class Heroes featuring Adam Levine and; Lily sang an emotional rendition of “Someone Like You” by Adele.

Eliminated: In the end, Nellie’s continued confidence problems got her sent home.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Abraham getting upset and losing confidence after being called “androgynous” by Nikki Anders in the recording studio
    • Blake blowing the judges away as Boy George during the video shoot
    • Shanna rocking a stinky Gaga-style meat dress
    • Lily struggling at the video shoot when trying to portray anything resembling Cyndi Lauper
    • A still tentative Michael barely escaping the bottom 3
    • Ali making a pretty impressive Katy Perry, complete with blue wig

Next week: Amber Riley (aka Mercedes Jones) and “Tenacity.”
    Last edited by Critical; 07-31-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Week 8: Tenacity

Homework assignment: "Survivor" by Destiny’s Child

Guest Glee judge: Amber Riley (aka Mercedes Jones)

Assignment winner: Ali

Music Video: “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor. In this week’s video, the contestants played athletes in a high school gymnasium, doing multiple exercises including jumping rope (Abraham and Michael), running a tire course (Abraham) and hurdling (Aylin)…all while singing AND with no cuts. If one person messed up, they started all over again. It took more 34 takes.

Bottom 3 : Michael performs a quietly powerful rendition of "Brick" by Ben Folds Five where he actually steps out from the mike stand (much to the delight of the judges); Abraham rushes through a slightly lackluster version of Michael Jackson’s "Man in the Mirror" and; Lily blows the judges away with a powerful and comedic interpretation of "I'm the Greatest Star" from Funny Girl.

Eliminated: Abraham, who pretty much shot himself in the foot by interrupting the judges after the last change performances to plead his case with Ryan Murphy, instead of asking to perform his song again and do it better, which Murphy admits might have swayed him.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Michael and Abraham both struggling in the recording studio
    • Lily being forced to accept help from Aylin – in removing her sweat pants no less – during the video shoot.
    • Ali struggling with the final shot of the video where she was required to make a basket by throwing the ball over her shoulder
    • Ali, Shanna and Blake as the top 3 in the video shoot
    • Aylin not knocking over one of the 3 hurdles she had to jump….in all 34 video shoot takes
    • Robert Ulrich telling Abraham to not suck up to Ryan Murphy during his last chance performance
    Next week: Darren Criss (aka Blaine Anderson) and “Romanticality”
    Last edited by Critical; 07-31-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Week 9: Romanticality

Homework assignment: Classic 90’s power ballad “More Than Words” by Extreme. The contestants pair off (Blake with Ali, Michael with Shanna and Lily with Aylin) while accompanied by Extreme guitarist and songwriter, Nuno Bettencourt.

Guest Glee judge: Darren Criss (aka Blaine Anderson)

Assignment winner: Blake

Music Video: In this week’s video, for Rihanna’s ubiquitous "We Found Love,” the kids play high school students on detention, who sneak off in pairs for romance when the teacher leaves the room. The pairs here are: Blake and Ali (as homework winner, he was able to choose his partner); Aylin and Shanna and; Michael and Lily. Iqbal Theba (aka Principal Figgins) guest stars in the video.

Bottom 3 : Aylin gives a sweet and vulnerable rendition of Roberta Flack’s classic, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"; Blake impresses the judges (although not too much) with “Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. and; Shanna delivers a powerhouse performance of "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson.

Eliminated: Shanna is sent home, likely because Ryan Murphy can see himself writing for Aylin, but still wasn’t sure where Shanna would fit on Glee.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Aylin forgetting some of the lyrics of her last chance performance song
    • Michael bringing out Lily’s softer side and Lily bringing Michael’s energy level up in the video shoot
    • Aylin and Shanna totally hamming it up in the video shoot and turning it into a dance routine
    • Blake finally showing some weakness, first in the studio with his inability to harmonize with Ali and second with his obvious nervousness before performing for Ryan Murphy
    • Shanna telling Ryan Murphy that she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom 3 and Michael did. Well, meow.

Next week: Dianna Agron (aka Quinn Fabray) and “Actability”

Week 9: Actability

Homework assignment: While singing “Addicted to Love” by Robert Palmer, the contestants are required to portray an emotion, given to them by Dianna via flash cards. The emotions are: “Determined” (Michael); “Scared” (Lily); “Angry” (Blake); “Anxious” (Aylin) and; “Excited” (Ali)

Guest Glee judge: Dianna Agron (aka Quinn Fabray)

Assignment winner: Michael

Music Video: This week’s song was “Perfect” by Pink, but they didn’t film a regular music video. Instead, they showed off their acting chops by improvising scenes in a movie trailer for a faux coming-of-age movie. Aylin portrayed (surprise!) a Muslim girl from a conservative family who’s dating the quarterback of the football team, played by Blake. Michael played a teammate of Blake’s who is in love with Aylin. Ali played Michael’s sister, who was a runner until she was paralyzed in a car accident. A guilt-ridden Lily was driving the car in that accident.

Bottom 3 : There was no bottom 3 this week. All five contestants performed, and not just for Ryan Murphy and the three mentors. This week, the entire writing staff of Glee will watched and helped decide who stays and who goes.
    Here’s what they sing:
    • Michael: "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper a la Cory Monteith on Glee instead of Cyndi Lauper (which would have been really weird)
    • Lily Mae: "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield
    • Ali: "Here's to Us" by Halestorm
    • Blake: "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John
    • Aylin: "Fighter" – Christina Aguilera
    Eliminated: Michael AND Lily are both sent home in a double elimination.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    • Lily struggling with the improve aspect of the video shoot and hurting Ali’s performance as well.
    • Blake stepping out of his usual nice guy role and playing a big jerk in the video.
    • Michael calling after Aylin in the video shoot all “Streetcar Named Desire”- “AYLIIIIIIIINNNN!!!” All that was missing was a wife-beater.
    • Lily hamming it up and singing the poignant “Son of a Preacher Man” like she’s a member of Up With People.
    • The three mentors emotionally expressing their affection for all of the remaining five contestants.

Next week: Chris Colfer (aka Kurt Hummel) is on hand for the finale, “Gleeality.”

Closed Thread