+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 6/5 Show Discussion Thread - "Individuality"

6/5 Show Discussion Thread - "Individuality"

This was our first real look at how the contestants will handle the pressure of the competition.

I have to say, I was impressed with the critiques Lea Michele gave at the homework challenge. I would have chosen Lily for the win, but I thought Shanna did a good job too.

I liked Maxfield in the casting special, but I can see why he got eliminated. It's like he wasn't able to give anything in the video shoot or recording session. It was just so "meh."

I was more impressed with Blake than I thought I would be. He can really sing! I am slightly distracted by his resemblance to Chris "Piz" Lowell from Veronica Mars, but I like him.

After one episode, Nellie, Lily and Dani are still my favorite girls and I still like most of the guys.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: 6/5 Show Discussion Thread - "Individuality"

I was surprised to see Dani there- as I thought these were "unknowns" from a giant casting call across the country. Dani was on America's Got Talent last season and she made it pretty far- her "schtik" was that she looked like the female Justin Beiber. I never saw the casting special, so maybe this was already shown.

FORT Fogey

All that information is in the bios of each kid.

Pretty much followed the same pattern as last year. Love Robert and Zach...they both have always seemed like genuinely nice people. I just never warmed to Ryan and no change there.
    Duxxy and sparklete like this.

Yeah, not a big fan of Dani actually. I wasn't too surprised to see Max go. He seemed very bland compared to the other kids. Nice kid though.

Leah looked amazingly beautiful. I hope she finds good quality work now that she's off the show.
    Last edited by mesachick; 06-06-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Lea's not off the show. She'll still be on next season.

Re: Dani, I don't think the show was every about finding an "unknown," it was about finding a person to cast on this show. We've seen that kind of overlap on reality shows before.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

No not entirely off the show, but I doubt she will be on too many episodes. I have a feeling the seniors that graduated are going to fade off the screen by mid season, except for a few. Regardless, it's going to leave her with plenty of time to do different projects. I just hope she has some coming her way.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I thought the music video was uninspiring. A whole lot of bad angles, heads cut off. Loved the last scene though. I noticed Ailyin has a tattoo on her wrist, I didn't think muslims were permitted tattoos.
    I totally agree with you about Maxfield's meh-ness. He's got a great voice and a cute face but nooo personality.

Robert (the casting director) is so positive, I just love him! I want someone like him in my corner. Lily, Shanna and Nellie were my favourite girls, Taryn surprised me, her speaking voice is beyond annoying but I liked her singing very much. Charlie is so cute but he has no oomph. Abraham and Lily were standouts for me
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I really enjoyed the show, but have no clear cut favorites yet. It is hard with this show because while I may like someone because of their talent and the likeability factor we don't know who Ryan would want to write for. I just enjoy watching it and agree I love Robert as well. I don't remember the ages of the kids from last year, but for some reason I thought last year had younger kids on it or at least appeared to look younger. This year I think they all look older to me to start with. Am I the only one who feels that way? Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who I would think was in high school.
    Debb70 likes this.

I think several of them look young, especially Michael, who I think was still IN h.s. when they were filming. I think most of them look pretty young. Dani doesn't look at all close to 23. They're pretty much all younger than the current cast. Cory Monteith is 28 right now. Mark Salling is about to turn 30. Harry Shum Jr. is 30. I think Chris Colfer is the youngest of the current Glee cast and he's 22. The rest are in their mid-20's and older.

The reality is that they wouldn't likely cast someone who wasn't a legal adult because of the problems that causes with filming. Glee has a pretty punishing schedule and working with minors would hamper that quite a bit. I think the kids they've picked look younger than a lot of actors we've seen play h.s. students on TV.

Maybe this year's contestants (and I don't think they look older than last year's) don't all look like h.s. kids, but they look like TV versions of h.s. kids.

What I love about Robert Ulrich is how sweet he is to the kids, even when he's criticizing them or giving them notes on set. When they were watching Aylin in the music video last week, they were all talking about how lifeless and bad she was, but when Robert went to give her notes, he was so sweet to her. I don't think it did much good, since she still ended up in the bottom 3, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think several of them look young, especially Michael, who I think was still IN h.s. when they were filming. I think most of them look pretty young. Dani doesn't look at all close to 23. They're pretty much all younger than the current cast. Cory Monteith is 28 right now. Mark Salling is about to turn 30. Harry Shum Jr. is 30. I think Chris Colfer is the youngest of the current Glee cast and he's 22. The rest are in their mid-20's and older.

The reality is that they wouldn't likely cast someone who wasn't a legal adult because of the problems that causes with filming. Glee has a pretty punishing schedule and working with minors would hamper that quite a bit. I think the kids they've picked look younger than a lot of actors we've seen play h.s. students on TV.

Maybe this year's contestants (and I don't think they look older than last year's) don't all look like h.s. kids, but they look like TV versions of h.s. kids.

What I love about Robert Ulrich is how sweet he is to the kids, even when he's criticizing them or giving them notes on set. When they were watching Aylin in the music video last week, they were all talking about how lifeless and bad she was, but when Robert went to give her notes, he was so sweet to her. I don't think it did much good, since she still ended up in the bottom 3, but still...
    I can't believe I made such a mistake, but the show I was thinking of with last year's contestants looking so much younger was not even The Glee Project, but Majors and Minors. I looked at the pictures of last year's cast of The Glee Project and thought these are not who I am remembering as looking so young and then realized I had the two shows mixed up. Sorry about that Critical and I do agree with you that this year's kids do not look older than last year's.

At least I had Robert Ulrich correct - love him and all that he does for the kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast