+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 8/14 Show Discussion Thread - Generosity

FORT Fogey

8/14 Show Discussion Thread - Generosity

Who would have thought it?? I thought the fellow writer that Ryan brought with him was the generous one. His comment that they would be lucky tio get any of the finalists for the show was really nice.
    princess07 and Debb70 like this.

Re: 8/14 =====Generosity

Man, last night show was tough. I am glad that they all made it to the finals because they sanged their hearts outs. Alex sanged my favorite song "His Eye is on the sparrow". It was song at both my parents funerals and it brought back memories of them.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I wondered about the song choices...All three guys got things out of their comfort zone-----Samuel the most different and Alex with a traditional funeral song which would be difficult since he shared his father's death story. Damien got a classic but I wonder if his world-touring Irish group may also sing things like this so he may have had some experience singing. But all three guys did very well.

Lindsey, however, gets yet another Broadway show stopper. WTH with her going out of her comfort zone. I know that Lea( and Chris) did that song on GLEE so did they want to compare her with the two singers already on the show? Who knows what is going on with their choices.

I've gotten to the point where, truthfully, I don't give a hang about who wins. There's way too much game playing going on by the show runners. The build up to the "game changing" surprise was joke. Wow, one of the writers showed up. Big deal, like the writers aren't aware of what has been happening? Murphy's comment about how he must have Lindsey? Give me a break. Of the remaining four, the only one who would bring anything fresh and unique to the show is Damian. The exchange student "stranger in strange land" angle could definitely work as story arc. I am less impressed with Samuel every week and as far as Alex goes, a more flamboyant Kurt character? Why? Lindsey is a belter but nowhere close to Lea's talent level and I can't see her character being as likeable as Rachel, even on her worst, most self-centered days.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

WOW, I don't dislike Lindsay as much as others clearly do. I think, actually, she's had an especially hard road. It's been very clear from day one that a girl does not have a chance in heck of winning this thing. Between that music coach (who is arrogant and a stealth **tch and I can't stand her) and the way Ryan clearly thinks females are the root of all evil....yeah....I'm rather shocked that a female even managed to make it half way through the competition.

My little grassy knoll loving self thinks that the only reason they declared what they did was because otherwise Samuel would have gone home. He did the worst, IMO, but Ryan has this "thing" now where suddenly he wants to write for a Christian because...you know....he doesn't already have Mercedes and Quinn on there wasting away. Sam comes off as fake, the fake little tear dripping down his cheek so artfully. The way suddenly he's all about God and Jesus. Blergh...whatever.

At this point, I want Damian to win because he's the only one left that I can somewhat tolerate. The rest seem so fake. I think Lindsay has something the others don't have, she has a star quality but I also think she's not right for this show. She and Sam are too "normal".

Oh and the writer? What a waste of suspense. The only thing he said that I enjoyed was his comments on Britany interacting with Damian. I'd watch that, I'd actually start watching the show again just to see her trying to figure out what he's saying and him trying to figure out what she's saying.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Lindsey, however, gets yet another Broadway show stopper. WTH with her going out of her comfort zone. I know that Lea( and Chris) did that song on GLEE so did they want to compare her with the two singers already on the show? Who knows what is going on with their choices.
    Lindsey may have, potentially, a Broadway level voice but she would need a ton more training and polish before she could approach that level. When Lea and Chris did Defying Gravity as a mellow ballad on the show, I had issues with it because the song is anything but a ballad. It's an angry and defiant statement by Elphaba and Lea could have easily pulled that off. Look at how Rachel throws vocal daggers at Finn when she wants to get a message across to him. I saw Eden Espinoza in the role of Elphaba in the National Tour production so my view of the song is influenced by that. I think Lindsey, even though she faltered a bit vocally at the end, actually was closer to the original intent of the piece and I give her credit for that.

Re: 8/14 Show Discussion Thread - Generosity

I had a funny feeling they were going to keep all 4 last night. I just knew it. OH, what did Lyndsay mean at the end when she said Yeah for the final 5? There are 4 left, not 5 right? LOL

I thought they all did great last night. I still don't enjoy Samuel very much. He's okay, but does not hold my interest. The others did.

Did anyone see the previews? It looks like Alex is in a dress again. Didn't the writer tell him they wanted him to do something a little differnt, like show his masculine side? Maybe he doesn't have one. I liked the way Alex held back on his song last night. He handled it so gently. Perfect touch IMO. I hope he gets some kind of offer as a result of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I had a funny feeling they were going to keep all 4 last night. I just knew it. OH, what did Lyndsay mean at the end when she said Yeah for the final 5? There are 4 left, not 5 right? LOL
    I just watched and she did say "four" - it just sounded funny because they were all hugging, so it was muffled a bit.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hmmmm.....I'm clearly in the minority, but I thought Samuel sang better last night than he has all through the competition. Normally I don't think his vocals are particularly strong, but I enjoyed his take on "Funny Valentine" - which is one of my favorites from that genre, so maybe I'm biased Honestly, I thought he was the only one that had a song outside his comfort zone. Lindsay - broadway, yup. Alex - gospel, makes perfect sense. And Damien, a rat-pack standard. Samuel had never even heard of his song! Which frankly should lose him points right there, but I'm willing to forgive At this point, I think they're all talented and would do well. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it's not Alex though, I'm still just not feelin' it.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I really wish Alex could just be an actor...not a "gay" actor. We don't hear them talk about the other three and their "straight"ness. Just because Alex happens to be gay, why are people so fixated on it (especially Alex himself). He has never had to play straight in a video, but the others have had to play gay. He seems to mostly sing female songs and they dress him in drag. He has a fabulous voice, but I would like him to sing something out of his comfort zone just to see how he does. Country maybe? Rock? Rat Packy? Just something.
    Hyper and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast