+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 8/14 Show Discussion Thread - Generosity

Re: 8/14 Show Discussion Thread - Generosity

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I like Damian a lot and that made me want him to win even more! Anything that would give Brittany more lines makes me happy! She could be totally infatuated with him, making Artie jealous, and still not understand a word Damian says! She wouldn't even know where he was from or that they speak English there!

I think one of the judges mentioned that Lindsay could give Rachel a run for her money, but I don't remember who said it or when.
    Did one of the judges really say that? Was that a comparison of Lindsey and Lea or a possible character for Lindsey and Rachel's character. I would hope that it's not the former. If so, and this came from a critical member of Glee's production team, I would wonder how the show made it though one season. Murphy has described (with some justification) Lea Michele as a "once in a generation" voice, not to mention that she's been in four Broadway shows including the lead in Spring Awakening. Lindsey shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Lea, at least not at this point. Even from a character standpoint, Rachel has been perfected over two seasons and any new character would be hard pressed to compete on the same playing field.

A quick aside. My wife and I saw a late morning showing of the Glee 3D movie yesterday. We were two of a throng of three in the theater. There was a tight closeup of Damian in the audience but I didn't see any of the others, although my wife thinks that she saw Hannah very early in the film. We wondered if this was a tell of some kind. The movie was OK but it looked and sounded, to me, like there was a lot of lip syncing going on or the editors layed prerecorded tracks over the live singing. People who saw the shows live swear that on most of the numbers, the cast was singing live on mic.

I saw the show live in Vegas and I believe they were singing live on mic.... was looking for any evidence otherwise! It was amazing to see all the cast in person. Was a little bummed that Shue wasn't there - no adults, only the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by cal1981 View Post
    Did one of the judges really say that? Was that a comparison of Lindsey and Lea or a possible character for Lindsey and Rachel's character. I would hope that it's not the former. If so, and this came from a critical member of Glee's production team, I would wonder how the show made it though one season. Murphy has described (with some justification) Lea Michele as a "once in a generation" voice, not to mention that she's been in four Broadway shows including the lead in Spring Awakening. Lindsey shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Lea, at least not at this point.
    I don't remember the exact wording, but it was Ryan who said it when she sang for him the first time (I think). Basically, he said something like "We're going to be looking for someone to replace Lea when it's time for her to leave the show, and you could be that person" or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording, and I may have it all wrong, but he definitely compared her to Lea. I don't remember if it was in the same conversation or a different one, though, that he said that the difference was that he wants to root for Lea's character, but Lindsay doesn't show the vulnerability that makes him want to root for her.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey

I remember Ryan saying that to L...however, after hearing Ryan tell too many kids that he envisioned a role for them and then dumping them right after that, I don't listen to his comments. Regarding Damen being in the audience of the GLEE movie...that is fascinating...and maybe telling. There would be no reason for him to be featured in the movie unless there is a "reason". We will know tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I saw the show live in Vegas and I believe they were singing live on mic.... was looking for any evidence otherwise! It was amazing to see all the cast in person. Was a little bummed that Shue wasn't there - no adults, only the kids.
    I just listened to the CD and it's clear that, for instance, Naya Rivera was live on mic when she did Valarie but in the film, it's just as clear that the movie's production team dubbed the canned track over the live performance. Maybe they got panicky about the audio quality or felt that movie goers would prefer the same auto-tuned, amped up sound that's used on the show. IMHO, it was poor judgement and decision making on their part. These kids can flat out sing and to disrespect that was a low rent move. Listening to Lea, live, holding that 11 second note at the end of Don't Rain on My Parade is thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I remember Ryan saying that to L...however, after hearing Ryan tell too many kids that he envisioned a role for them and then dumping them right after that, I don't listen to his comments. Regarding Damen being in the audience of the GLEE movie...that is fascinating...and maybe telling. There would be no reason for him to be featured in the movie unless there is a "reason". We will know tomorrow.
    I think that Murphy has been lying through his teeth throughout the run of the show. I've lost a lot of respect for him.

Just sitting here reading an article in People about the final four. In response to why he should win, Alex says "I have a great story....I want to explore more about being a gay Christian." Please, please don't let that be a hint, as we all know about Ryan and his desire for a Christian character. I don't recall Alex ever discussing his Christianity before, but maybe I missed it.....I would be really disappointed if he won
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Just sitting here reading an article in People about the final four. In response to why he should win, Alex says "I have a great story....I want to explore more about being a gay Christian." Please, please don't let that be a hint, as we all know about Ryan and his desire for a Christian character. I don't recall Alex ever discussing his Christianity before, but maybe I missed it.....I would be really disappointed if he won
    Me too. Alex winning would make me less likely to tune into Glee next season.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I would watch it regardless of who wins. Actually just to hear Alex sing would be worth it.

So the show has gotten some publicity if there is an article in PEOPLE. I said earlier and am still surprised that FOX didn't take it for the summer replacements.

I guess it wasn't really a full-fledged article. Just a single page with some questions and answers from each of the final four. I didn't realize that Sam had already auditioned once for Glee and been turned down! Still, it was nice to see the show get some recognition. Despite the gripes, I've really enjoyed this show and the format of the competition they used. It was unique from others in that we really got to know the competitors. I'm a bit sad they probably won't be able to do another season like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast