+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 8/7 Show Discussion Thread - "Believability"

8/7 Show Discussion Thread - "Believability"

Another shocking elimination and, once again, the spoilers are wrong! I read spoilers from 2 days ago with tons of detail about the bottom 3 and how Samuel would get the boot.

So much for that!

I'm going to miss Hannah. I wish it had been Alex. How many times is he going to be in the bottom 3 before they finally cut him loose?
    sparklete likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: 8/7 Show Discussion Thread - "Believability"

I agree about Alex. It may be just me, but I don't get anything "real" from him when he sings or acts. I get the same feeling about Lindsey. I was surprised that Hannah wasn't called back because she has barely been in the bottom 3 (maybe one other time?), but I don't think her final performance was very strong. The song seemed very thin when she sang it and I kept waiting for her to belt out parts of it, but it seemed she was holding back. I'm glad to see Damien finally made it out of the bottom 3 and had a good week. I can see what kind of a story Ryan could write for him with the exchange student angle so I hope he continues to do well. I think Ryan may have decided that Samuel will replace Cameron with the "Christian student" story arc, but I'm not convinced he is the right guy for the job. Lindsey was right when she said he just squints into the camera and stares when he is trying to portray emotion- but he seems to have the same look for all his emotions. I don't know see a storyline for Lindsey, unless Ryan is grooming someone to take Lea's place- and he did allude to that. I'm not sure LIndsey is that someone, though. I also have no idea where Alex would fit in either.

FORT Fogey

I was glad to see the always in the bottom three get replaced by the barely or never in the bottom three. I wonder if that had more to do with letting Ryan "see" all the kids. That being said, I was sad to see Hannah go. Like I've said in the past, if Ryan raves about you, pack your pags. Poor Hannah was told that she is what GLEE is and girls would relate to her....and boom out she goes. They gave Hannah one of those Taylor Swift pop pieces of crap to sing and Lindsey gets a Broadway show tune.....duh. Granted Hannah maybe could have done some belting out, but I think she was keeping to the original gentileness of the song.

I thought Nikki hit it perfectly when she commented on L. lack of sincerity....even that "I'm adopted" story line she fed Ryan sounded so fake. I could almost see her peekingin out of one teary eye to see if he was buying it.

And Samuel...."I love JC, I have his name tattooed on my neck".....make me the Christian guy now that Cameron walked. SIGH.

I am so happy that Alex wasn't in the bottom three. I was also mad that Hannah got cut, because it should have been the one note one look Sammuel that should have been cut. And how many times is Sammuel going to do those Michael Jackson moves? And especially how he threw that "Oh I'm a christian" comment in (stealing from Cameron). Really Samuel?????

In watching the video my husband thought that Damien looked like a serial stalker lol! Even though I don't like him, I thought he was the most believeable with the secret crush.

BTW, I thought Hannah sanged that song better than Taylor Swift did lol! Best of Luck Hannah, I know we will be seeing you again.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I was glad to see the always in the bottom three get replaced by the barely or never in the bottom three. I wonder if that had more to do with letting Ryan "see" all the kids. That being said, I was sad to see Hannah go. Like I've said in the past, if Ryan raves about you, pack your pags. Poor Hannah was told that she is what GLEE is and girls would relate to her....and boom out she goes. They gave Hannah one of those Taylor Swift pop pieces of crap to sing and Lindsey gets a Broadway show tune.....duh. Granted Hannah maybe could have done some belting out, but I think she was keeping to the original gentileness of the song.

I thought Nikki hit it perfectly when she commented on L. lack of sincerity....even that "I'm adopted" story line she fed Ryan sounded so fake. I could almost see her peekingin out of one teary eye to see if he was buying it.

And Samuel...."I love JC, I have his name tattooed on my neck".....make me the Christian guy now that Cameron walked. SIGH.
    Yeah, I agree with you on Lindsey. Sammuel stole from Cameron as well with the christian comment.

I can see why Hannah was sent home, but I still like her better than most of the others. Granted Lyndsay can sing, but it is difficult to like her.

I'm not sure I can be objective about Samuel. He does nothing for me. I don't see his appeal. He's not a great singer either.

Damien is very cute and okay with singing and acting. I can see the young girls liking him a lot.

Alex is my favorite now. I think he's so talented, but needs work on his acting. I'd like to see them do more than just the music video.

Oh, I can't recall the name of the lady who produces the voice portion of the video, but I have not liked her since day 1. IMO she seems as fake as Lindsay. She is quite the diva IMO. I'm not sure if her comments and looks are scripted, but if not, she's a piece of work. I would not trust her. The kids seems crazy about her. Has anyone else noticed anything odd about her? Maybe it's just me. She seems to single people out and the guys seem to be her favorites.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Ryan Murphy is one of the most singularly pompous individuals that I've seen in long time. Talk about being self-absorbed. What makes him think that a story arc about the steadfast Christian student will play well? Like he did with Kurt's storyline at times, he risks getting preachy and beating viewers over the head with it. When he told Hannah that Samuel was better singer, my mouth dropped. As a pure vocalist, I think she's better. Samuel has a limited range in comparison. I did enjoy watching Nikki call Lindsey out for being a transparent manipulator. I also thought that, while Lindsey has a fine voice, she goes to the very edge of her range at times and that can sound screechy. So we had Samuel and Lindsey who will clearly say or do anything to please Murphy and then we had Hannah and Damian who had no clue as to what Ryan wants so they ended up just being themselves, clearly not always good enough for Lord Ryan. All I can say is "Damian, don't plan on a long stay".
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Another shocking elimination and, once again, the spoilers are wrong! I read spoilers from 2 days ago with tons of detail about the bottom 3 and how Samuel would get the boot.

So much for that!

I'm going to miss Hannah. I wish it had been Alex. How many times is he going to be in the bottom 3 before they finally cut him loose?

Regarding the spoilers--who are these people and why to they NEED strangers to think that they have an inside track on this?? Then they are blown out of the water when they are naturally wrong....doesn't that affect them?? Shaking my head in puzzlement.

I like Alex more than you do so I was glad when he wasn't in the bottom three. I am picturing a conversation between A and D when the other three were on the line. They had to be saying to each other during that many hours " Oh...isn't this relaxing, knowing we are back one more week and not having to perform.....better them than us."

FORT Fan

Among those left I don't have a strong favorite. I like Damian and Alex's spirit, just don't connect with Alex. In the long run it may be that the two of them having been in the bottom three so much they have have just gotten more critical feedback than the others to succeed or it may drive them harder than the others who each were in the bottom three for the first time.

Because so much is edited out it is hard to know what is said to the others about their potential story arcs. For example, they may want to keep the story arc of the person who won a secret until the episodes starring the winner begin airing. In that case only those story lines not featured are being discussed.

It wasn't my impression that Samuel was promoting himself as Cameron's replacement in the "Christian student" story, just that Ryan brought it up and Samuel went with it. Why not? He at least is clear that he wants the position and is willing to work hard for it. I've liked Samuel, but do agree that he doesn't have a variety of looks that we've seen yet.

Given Damian's background I'm surprised he isn't a better performing. He's been touring internationally with a pretty successful Irish group (Celtic Thunder). It does explain the eye roll over Danny boy last week. I'm sure he is sick of singing it. That said, he needs to up his professionalism and belt it out like it is his favorite, most meaningful song ever. While I'm pulling for him now to get it together and win this, he may lack the maturity to do so. On the other hand, maybe losing his BFF Cameron, a person who became ambivalent about doing the show, is the best thing to get Damian focused on what he wants, instead of worrying over losing his best mate on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by cal1981 View Post
    Ryan Murphy is one of the most singularly pompous individuals that I've seen in long time. Talk about being self-absorbed.
    I have to agree with you on this one!! My 17 year old son happened to be home and watched this with me last night. He's never seen it before (though he does watch Glee), and the one comment he made was "Wow, I'm glad that guy's not my boss. I really wouldn't want to work for him."

As for the remaining contestants, my faves are Samuel and Damien (and have been for awhile). I would have rather seen Marissa in the top three with them, but I think I'd be OK with Lindsey. But, it's been a whole other week and I'm still not an Alex fan I do think it's hard to judge how any of them might do on the show though, because we haven't really seen them interact with the rest of the cast as an actual character, speaking scripted words...and when Glee is at the top of it's game, the writing is great. So I'm going to hold off judging whoever wins until I actually see what they do with him or her on the show. Ryan Murphy may be a huge jerk, but he has done a fabulous job of casting Glee so far...I have to believe he knows what he's doing in that department.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast