Closed Thread

Thread: The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

We’re going to try something new with this series. Instead of full recaps, we’ll update this thread weekly with the highlights and the name of the eliminated contestant. First though, here's a quick look at the show and the contestants...

Series rundown: Over 6 weeks, 12 hopefuls will compete to win a 7-episode story arc on Glee . Helping them along, as both mentors and advisors to series creator Ryan Murphy, will be choreographer Zach Woodlee, vocal coach Nikki Anders and casting director Robert Ulrich. Each week, an actor from Glee will help judge a “homework” assignment – generally a group song where each contestant sings a few lines on their own – and then mentor the winner in their featured role in a weekly music video performed by the group.

Each week, the contestants will perform in a music video, complete with choreography, pre-recorded vocals and a little bit of acting. Based on their performance in the homework assignment and the music video (as well as the rehearsals and filming process), a bottom 3 will be chosen. Those three contestants will perform a song chosen for them and Ryan Murphy (with some help from Woodlee and Ulrich) will decide which of the three will be eliminated.

This isn’t just a talent competition, so the decisions will have more to do with whether or not the series producers see the contestants fitting into the Glee cast. This means that the contestants will have to be someone the producers are inspired to write for AND they have to be unique from the existing cast members of Glee. To that end, let’s do a little handicapping, shall we?

Here’s a quick rundown of our 12 contestants and their “Gleequivalent,” (GQ) if you will, if they have one:

Alex:
    GQ: Mercedes, only male
    He could come on the show as Mercedes’ younger brother.
    Bryce:
    GQ: none
    He might not have enough personality to inspire anyone.
    Cameron:
    GQ: Sam, with horn rimmed glasses
    Working the cute nerd angle might set Cameron apart.
    Damian:
    Damian’s Irish brogue sets him apart. Could the newest member of New Directions be a foreign exchange student?
    Ellis:
    GQ: Sunshine Corozon
    She might not be able to drop the cutesy-wootsey act.
    Emily:
    GQ: Santana
    Emily thinks flipping her hair makes her sexy and unique. If that’s all she’s got, she won’t last long.
    Hannah:
    GQ: Lauren Zices
    Will the producers be bold enough to have two big girls on the show?
    Lindsay:
    GQ: Rachel Berry
    Maybe Shelby Corcoran had more than one daughter....
    Marissa:
    Does the show need another hair tossing pretty girl?
    Matheus:
    GQ: Artie, but without the wheel chair
    Casting Matheus would be a bold move, but he might not be up to the challenge.
    McKynleigh:
    This country girl is cute as a button and might keep Mercedes on her toes.
    Samuel:
    Samuel does look an awful lot like American Idol alum Jason Castro and that might work in his favor.

Re: The Glee Project Weekly Rundown Thread

Week 1: Individuality
    Homework assignment: Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered”
    Guest Glee judge: Darren Criss
    Assignment winner: Matheus
    Music Video: Kay Perry’s “Firework”
    Bottom 3: Ellis, Bryce and Damian
    Eliminated: Bryce, for his whiny attitude during rehearsals and inability to really perform when the chips were down.

Week 2: Theatricality
    Homework assignment: Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance”
    Guest Glee judge: Idina Menzel
    Assignment winner: Alex
    Music Video: Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It”
    Bottom 3: Ellis, McKynleigh, Matheus
    Eliminated: Ellis, for her bad attitude during rehearsals. After Ellis’s little kid act last week, the judges wanted to see her real personality. It turns out her real personality wasn’t what they were looking for either.

Week 3: Vulnerability
    Homework assignment: Pink’s, “Please Don’t Leave Me”
    Guest Glee judge: Dot Marie Jones (Coach Beiste)
    Assignment winner: Matheus
    Music Video: “Mad World” by Tears for Fears
    For the video shoot, each contestant was asked to choose a word that represents their biggest insecurity. That word will be written on a sign that they will wear around their neck. The contestants choose the following words:
    • Alex: gay
    • Cameron: misunderstood
    • Damian: numb
    • Emily: used
    • Hannah: fat
    • Lindsay: fake
    • Marissa: (after a last-minute change from “flawed”) anorexic
    • Matheus: small
    • McKynleigh: black or white
    • Samuel: rejected
    Bottom 3: Damian, Cameron and Emily
    Eliminated: Emily for reasons that aren’t explained, but maybe because the judges like her just a little bit less than Damian and Cameron.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Week 4: Dance Ability
    Homework assignment: Train’s “Hey Soul Sister”
    Guest Glee judge: Harry Shum Jr. (aka Mike Chan)
    Assignment winner: Samuel
    Music Video: “Can’t Touch This” by M.C. Hammer
    Bottom 3: Alex, McKynleigh and Matheus
    Eliminated: After a rather alarming “sexy” performance from Matheus (complete with a mini striptease), it’s McKynleigh who’s, inexplicably, eliminated.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Week 5: Pairability

Homework assignment: The contestants were paired off to sing Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now.” The pairs were: Lindsay and Samuel, Hannah and Damian, Marissa and Cameron and Alex and Matheus.
    Guest Glee judge: Darren Criss
    Assignment winner: Marissa
    Music Video: Again, the contestants were paired off, with Marissa (as homework assignment winner) choosing her duet partner, Samuel to perform Human League’s “Don’t You Want Me.” The other pairs were:
    Lindsay and Cameron: “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”
    Matheus and Damian: “The Lady is a Tramp”
    Hannah and Alex: “Nowadays” from Chicago
    Bottom 3: This time, there were 3 bottom pairs who performed for the judges and then Ryan Murphy picked a bottom 3, one of whom was sent home. The pairs were: Lindsay and Cameron, who performed “River Deep, Mountain High”; Matheus and Damian, who took on “These Boots Are Made for Walking” and; Hannah and Alex, who sang Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie.” After the performances, the bottom 3 were Cameron, Alex and Matheus.
    Eliminated: After his third time in the bottom three, Matheus was finally sent packing.

Week 6: Tenacity

Homework assignment: “Bulletproof” by La Roux
    Guest Glee judge: Max Adler (aka Dave Karofsky)
    Assignment winner: Marissa
    Music Video: a mash-up “Ice Ice Baby” and “Under Pressure”
    Bottom 3: Alex, who performed “And I’m Telling You” in drag; Marissa, who belted out Jill Scott’s “Hate on Me” and; Cameron, who performed his original song “Love Can Wait.”
    Eliminated: Marissa

Week 7: Sexuality
    Homework assignment: Madonna’s “Like a Virgin”
    Guest Glee judges: Mark Saling and Ashley Fink
    Assignment winner: Samuel
    Music Video: Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” – the contestants are paired up and filmed in different settings (much like “Like a Virgin” in “The Power of Madonna” episode during the first season of Glee. The pairs are: Samuel and Alex; Damian and Lindsay and; Cameron and Hannah.
    Bottom 3: Alex, who performed “I Will Survive”; Damian, who sang a surprisingly lackluster “Danny Boy” and; Cameron, who performed “Blackbird” by the Beatles.
    Eliminated: Cameron falls on his own sword, eliminating himself even after Ryan Murphy pretty much begs him to stay.

Week 7: Believability
    Homework assignment: Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors”
    Guest Glee judge: Jenna Ushkowitz
    Assignment winner: Hannah
    Music Video: “The Only Exception”– the contestants show off their acting chops in a video where they show longing for another contestant who doesn’t feel the same.
    Bottom 3: Hannah, who sings “Back to December”; Lindsay who performs “Maybe This Time” and: Samuel who sings “Animal.”
    Eliminated: Hannah

Week 7: Generosity
    Homework assignment: “Lean on Me”
    Guest Glee judge: Kevin McHale
    Assignment winner: Lindsay
    Music Video: "Sing" by My Chemical Romance. The contestants are paired with their own “mini me,” who will sing and perform with them in the video. They also have to pretend to play a musical instrument.
    Bottom 3 4: In a “twist,” all four contenders will compete and be judged by Ryan Murphy and Glee co-creator Ian Brennan, who has yet to see any of them. Lindsay performs “Defying Gravity,” Alex sings “His Eye is on the Sparrow” (which was sung at his father’s funeral), Damian sings “I Gotta Be Me” and Samuel tries to rock his way through “My Funny Valentine,” a song he’s never heard before, thus proving that he’s both young and has been living under a rock.
    Eliminated: No one. There will be a final four in the finale next week.

Closed Thread