+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Gripes about reality shows

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Gripes about reality shows

I didn't see a thread covering this issue so I decided to start one.

One of my biggest gripes about reality shows is the emphasis on the sob story. From American Idol to So You Think You Can Dance, they spend so much of the audition focusing on the hardships the auditioners have gone through and when they're chosen for the show, we have to endure pity parties from them every week and contestants pleading to the judges to keep them because they really need the money/the chance/a life, etc.

Maybe I'm hard-hearted but I think contestants should win a talent competition because they have the talent and they earned it, not because they need the money and feel entitled to it for that reason. Who doesn't need the money?? Who hasn't had a hard life?? Heck, I could tell my own sob story and if that would entitle me to a million dollars on some reality show, why shouldn't I get it??? Who cares if my singing is only average and I'm not a pro dancer? I deserve the money because life is hard!!!!

I wouldn't mind the shows giving us some background on the contestants so we can get to know them but I don't need to get hit over the head every week with woe-is-me tales. I'd rather hear about what inspired them, what positive influences they had in life, what training they've done, what their greatest accomplishments have been, etc.

Give the whiney-baby contestants with average talent a therapy buddy doll like the one from American Inventor and save the big prize for the contestants with the most talent.
    cablejockey, justCoz and JohnnyK like this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Re: Gripes about reality shows

I thought this thread was going to be about reality shows that are very much scripted more than real, like the Kardashian shows, Jersey Shore, etc.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It's about anything that irks you about reality shows.

I also don't like scripted reality shows. I'd rather have the producers let things happen instead of influencing events or downright telling the contestants what to do or say to get their desired outcome.
    holly71 likes this.
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,

I tend to record most shows, so if there I sob story I can choose to FF. I see them for the talent alone - rather than the story
    holly71 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

One of my biggest gripes is eliminations right from the get-go, before the contestants can even do anything.

Wanda and that young fellow from one season of Survivor, who got eliminated when the teams were formed and they couldn't compete. Twice in The Amazing Race, with one team being eliminated right when they got to China, and another team was eliminated before even leaving the starting line, and the third season of their China Rush version also did it, a team eliminated right on the starting line, leaving the lady of that team absolutely heartbroken. The third season of MasterChef eliminated a lady named Samantha on the very first mystery box challenge, before we even got to know anything about her. And last season of Big Brother had Jodi eliminated right after the very first challenge.

It just makes my blood boil in rage to see these people who tried so hard to get into these competitions be eliminated right as it starts or even before the start, never to have a second chance at proving what they can really do. It's easily the most infuriating thing I can think of in reality shows, and utterly cruel and humiliating to the contestants it happens to.

Yeah, that is sucky, Rembrandt. Usually early eliminations like that are based on luck of the draw or people on the teams voting someone out/not choosing them for their team so they're hardly fair. I like it when reality shows have a non-elimination round the first week and then either start eliminations the second week or have a double elimination to make up for not getting rid of someone the first week. That at least gives the contestants a chance.

If you are hard-hearted pikachu then so am I. I usually don't even mind the sob story the first time. It gives me a small reason to root for them. But, when TPTB beat us in the head with it ad nauseum it almost works in reverse for me. Usually it's the show that either plays the story over and over, or asks leading questions but IMO they are doing a disservice to those contestants. Thankfully now that I have a DVR I can fast-forward through all the filler sob stories.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    One of my biggest gripes about reality shows is the emphasis on the sob story.
    I don't watch many competition shows, but it's the same with "Undercover Boss." Fnd a couple of dedicated employees who have gone through tragedy or poverty and have them share their story with the undercover boss, who then rewards them at the end. It got so predictable I stopped recording it.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I agree. I thought I risked seeming heartless when I'd hate on people on AGT for thinking that they use their sob story to their advantage (which they probably did, but whatever).

What pisses me off to no end is how sob stories almost always win out over better talent.

FORT Fogey

My main gripe about reality shows is that many are two hours long. Also, sob stories are repeated for the purpose of filling time. Most reality shows are predictable. It was fairly predictable who would be eliminated from week to week on DWTS. All of the episodes of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss have the same storyline.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast