+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Gripes about reality shows

Re: Gripes about reality shows

I saw that NYP article...pretty revealing. I mean, I expect some level of producer manipulation with every reality show, but some of it is ridiculous!
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Jax

The torture behind ‘Apprentice,’ ‘Hell’s Kitchen,’ and ‘Top Chef’ | New York Post
    I think the torture on those three shows is pretty evident just by watching them!
    cablejockey likes this.

It seems like a tsunami of reality show contestants are putting their gripes out there! Now the winner of American Idol is suing to get out of his "oppressive" contract! Phillip Phillips Sues to Get Out of His 'American Idol' Contract - ABC News

FORT Regular

When you compare the number of repeated series, compared to new,and I mean NEW programming, the scale is harshly tipped towards the old. And it's getting worse. Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares Is on ALL DAY and now on TWO separate stations. Thing is, even as soon as 3 years ago, these shows were already 10 years old. NYPD Blue is on and I was pregnant w/my oldest when that was new & she's 44 now!
    Roseanne is on all day. How long has it been since that was new? These stations just buy up old shows & re-run them ad-nauseum & still think they will have viewers. They should know we are wise to them.
    A "season" for a program used to be 13 weeks. Now it's 6 weeks.
    Fed up.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by krmujn View Post
    A "season" for a program used to be 13 weeks. Now it's 6 weeks.
    Fed up.
    Yeah and with non reality shows they used to show all NEW episodes then went to repeats AFTER the season finale. Now it's a couple new shows, repeat, a couple new shows, repeat, HATE that!
    Punkin and Kip like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't mind 6-week seasons. I'd rather have a short season of something than one that drags on too long.

My big grip is the repetition. An hour-long show is only about 44 min when you take away the ads. So the show starts with some previews of some crazy emotional scenes so we won't turn the channel. Then they introduce what's coming in the next scene. Then we get to see the part of the scene. Then they cut to commercial just before the resolution of the scene. After the commercial, they play the preview aain, then replay the last minute of what we saw just before the commercial....repeat the cycle.

I bet a 60-min show only has about 25 min of material in it.
    Punkin likes this.

JUST stumbled up on this thread today (THANKS, pika!) . . .

Sorry if I'm rehashing old ground, but SOME of my gripes are:

Instead of running TWO seasons per year of a show, could somebody please explain to me what was wrong with the old-school way of just running ONE season per year? 12, 13 shows? I mean, I LOVE FaceOff, and I'm ALWAYS and will FOREVER BE happy when a new season pops up. I can't lie about that. But, even taking into account that it's my FAVORITE show, two times per year --- love the show though I do --- is overkill.

The villains on these shows are SO overdrawn, SO over-the-top, that they might as well be breathing Snidely Whiplashes. I mean, come ON, people! Johnny "Fairplay"? Russell? COLTON? Joe and Autumn (from FaceOff)? Teresa? Whatshername --- Natalie? --- who's on "Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars" right now?

Damn.

True, it's possible that some of them are actually, ACTIVELY, card-carryin', paper-holdin', certified, patented, Grade-A crazy. Having said that, allow me to THEN say that I watched cartoons YEARS and YEARS and YEARS ago; if I wanted to continue to do so, that's what God invented Cartoon Network for.

But please hear and understand me: I have NEVER in my LIFE voluntarily turned on Cartoon Network and sat my behind down with my popcorn and lemonade to "enjoy" an afternoon of it.

Nor will I EVER do so.

And if these folks literally ARE mentally unstable fruitcakes, somebody needs to explain to me how in the HELL they actually got past the mental/psychological testing and made it on these shows, in the FIRST place.

IF there was mental/psych testing even going ON, that is.

And I read the linked articles.

SMH.

I don't get it. I mean, having to give up your cell phone is one thing. No TV/newspapers, whatever, THOSE are other things, too. I actually can see WHY they ban those. But DAMN, clothes for THREE DAYS? Getting $#!+ from producers because you've got a sick family member back home and need/want to leave?

Oh, PLEASE.

That kind of crap sounds absolutely barbaric, and very possibly illegal, perhaps, to me.

Contract, or NO contract.

Now, I DID see one show that had a contestant on it with a family member who gave her bad news about things back home. Whoever it was let her know that her not being there meant they were going down, financially, for the third time. Matter of fact, I believe she might've been told that they were about to get put out on the street. IIRC, the girl talked to whoever her mentor on the show was. The mentor listened to her when she said she was sorry, but she had to go. So she left the show to handle her business back home.

No fuss, no putting the girl down, or trying to pressure her into staying. No being pissed off or pouting about her having to leave (not that I perceived, any way). Just apparently genuine concern and asking her ONLY ONE TIME if she felt she needed to go. When she said "yes", it was a wrap, for her. The show in question was that modeling show hosted by Nigel that had Naomi Campbell on it. Which is why I stopped watching it. I mean, if you needed to look up the definitions for "villain" and "bitch" in a Dark Ages dictionary, you'd find a head shot of Naomi in both locations.

The older I get, the lower my bull$#!+ level. So since Naomi was on that show --- AND acting a fool, of course --- I wasn't about to continue to watch it.

More later, as it hits me.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown
    Spring 2016 FoRT Yearbook Title: "Most Likely to Make a Short Story Long, and a Long Story LONGER!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234