+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Gripes about reality shows

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: Gripes about reality shows

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    My main gripe about reality shows is that many are two hours long. Also, sob stories are repeated for the purpose of filling time. Most reality shows are predictable. It was fairly predictable who would be eliminated from week to week on DWTS. All of the episodes of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss have the same storyline.
    I can't believe I never thought of that.

Well, it's still annoying whenever they're brought up, filler or not. It's clear that they influence the votes, big time.

I get sucked into to tragedy/sob story and am sitting there with tears streaming.

On Master Chef last week there was the burn victim. I found myself alternating between rooting for him and hoping he didn't get picked "just because". I was kind of broken hearted when he ended up not going forward. Then I find myself going "they better not have chosen someone gimicky over him" Was the beaver tail and fried chicken actually that much better?
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I didn't see a thread covering this issue so I decided to start one.

One of my biggest gripes about reality shows is the emphasis on the sob story. From American Idol to So You Think You Can Dance, they spend so much of the audition focusing on the hardships the auditioners have gone through and when they're chosen for the show, we have to endure pity parties from them every week and contestants pleading to the judges to keep them because they really need the money/the chance/a life, etc.

Maybe I'm hard-hearted but I think contestants should win a talent competition because they have the talent and they earned it, not because they need the money and feel entitled to it for that reason. Who doesn't need the money?? Who hasn't had a hard life?? Heck, I could tell my own sob story and if that would entitle me to a million dollars on some reality show, why shouldn't I get it??? Who cares if my singing is only average and I'm not a pro dancer? I deserve the money because life is hard!!!!

I wouldn't mind the shows giving us some background on the contestants so we can get to know them but I don't need to get hit over the head every week with woe-is-me tales. I'd rather hear about what inspired them, what positive influences they had in life, what training they've done, what their greatest accomplishments have been, etc.

Give the whiney-baby contestants with average talent a therapy buddy doll like the one from American Inventor and save the big prize for the contestants with the most talent.
    You took the words right out of my head! I have noticed over the years that the background sob story is filling up more time instead of the actual talent! I am not saying I dont feel bad for certain stories, but you have to know its all deliberate and calculated by the producers! I dont like feeling played and manipulated--I want to watch someone cook or dance or sing.
    Years ago there used to be a show called Queen For A Day and it was evaluated on the saddest story each contestant gave and who looked like they deserved to win only based on whose life was the worst! Maybe they should bring that one back again....

What's bugging me about reality TV is that it's getting less and less "real." The documentary-style shows used to be more documentary than scripted, but that balance has shifted. Pit Boss is completely contrived; Million Dollar Listing shows seem not only contrived, but scripted with bad acting; Duck Dynasty is pretty much fiction. That last one is really a shame because when you've got real characters who are fun and interesting, why not just let them be?

It's as if the genre is now controlled by idiot producers who lack imagination and creativity, so they just keep imitating the imitators until the final product is crap. The one exception is "Small Town Security," which kind of winks at fake storylines while it's indulging in them.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

My personal pet peeve regarding reality shows is you never know if the person(s) you are watching are being their real selves or acting it up for the cameras. This "character" driven aspect of shows like "Survivor" and the "Amazing Race" ticks me off because, for myself, I would like to see how 'real' people behave under these stressful circumstances, not ones who are there to spin it into fame somehow. I could give a gargantuan list of fake "characters" on these shows, but I think everyone can think of them off the top of their heads quickly anyway.
    candor, cablejockey and pikachu like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

FORT Fogey

Typically the sob stories don't accurately describe the contestant. One example was a contestant from a weight loss show. They tried to show her as a victim of divorce, but most saw her as a control freak and a narcissist. I instantly spotted her true character. After doing more reading about other contestants from other reality shows, I find out that the contestants aren't as pitiful as they're portrayed. There was one contestant from American Idol who really was the way he was portrayed. He was homeless: he lived in his car. He wasn't particularly talented: the show temporarily used him for the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I didn't see a thread covering this issue so I decided to start one.

One of my biggest gripes about reality shows is the emphasis on the sob story. From American Idol to So You Think You Can Dance, they spend so much of the audition focusing on the hardships the auditioners have gone through and when they're chosen for the show, we have to endure pity parties from them every week and contestants pleading to the judges to keep them because they really need the money/the chance/a life, etc.

Maybe I'm hard-hearted but I think contestants should win a talent competition because they have the talent and they earned it, not because they need the money and feel entitled to it for that reason. Who doesn't need the money?? Who hasn't had a hard life?? Heck, I could tell my own sob story and if that would entitle me to a million dollars on some reality show, why shouldn't I get it??? Who cares if my singing is only average and I'm not a pro dancer? I deserve the money because life is hard!!!!

I wouldn't mind the shows giving us some background on the contestants so we can get to know them but I don't need to get hit over the head every week with woe-is-me tales. I'd rather hear about what inspired them, what positive influences they had in life, what training they've done, what their greatest accomplishments have been, etc.

Give the whiney-baby contestants with average talent a therapy buddy doll like the one from American Inventor and save the big prize for the contestants with the most talent.
    Everyone has a sob story, a hard luck story, that is life. I don't mind when backgrounds are revealed because that does make the person more human to me, but that does not change my mind on how talented or not talented they are. I do think that the producers use that story to create a character as part of the story they are scripting. The reason we hear the sob stories over and over and over again is that the assistant to the directors and producers are given a list of questions to ask in each interview and if they hear something that fits the character they are trying to create we unfortunately hear it over and over and over again. I heard it the first time and don't need mindless repetitions and I think the contestants are tired of saying the same thing over and over again. The reason that I know this is from an interview with a contestant from Project Runway who mentioned how they are asked all these questions in the one on one interviews after a work day and that when they see the actual footage it was mentioned how out of context it was and how we only heard a small part of the whole conversation. I just tend to ignore the "sob story" other wise it can make me really dislike the contestant as I don't care about their sob story I want to see how well they do in the game/dance/song whatever. I wonder when the producers will finally figure out we don't care that much about the back story and get on with it?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Tom Cotter from AGT 7's sob story = "I have a wife and kids and I need to pay bills!" Um ok. I bet you're the only one that was on the show last year that had that issue.
    cablejockey likes this.

I think my biggest issue with most all these shows on the channels I get is that not only are they 2 hours long but they are on multiple nights a week. And now they're running multiple similar shows overlapping with each other and I just don't care anymore. I used to like that Masterchef show but could live without all the talking and game playing. Show me them cooking and learning how to cook not strategizing. I watch shows like that to get ideas for recipes honestly.

I don't know. I hardly watch any thing that falls into the game show/reality show category anymroe because it's just all the same stuff over and over again.
    cablejockey and Florimel like this.

I was just asked to do a survey on American idol today. When asked about feedback. I mentioned its not fair the contestants have to perform mostly already knowing who is going home because of voter predictabilty. I suggested an overhaul in the way they obtain and count votes.

I mean after awhile I was like why am I watching this mess again?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast