+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shooting ranges and other reality show cliches

Shooting ranges and other reality show cliches

Kim Zolciak went to a shooting range on last night's RHOA, which marks probably the 50th time a reality show featured someone at a shooting range. Is target practice really that common or are producers consulting some secret handbook called "20 Things To Do When the Cameras Are Rolling"?

Other concocted and recycled story lines:
    1. Renewing wedding vows
    2. Starting a line of ___________ (fill in the blank)
    3. Recording a single/writing a book
    4. Getting botox injections

I've never done any of those things, nor have I walked a red carpet at a teenager's birthday party.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Shooting ranges and other reality show cliches

I've done 2 of those things. I go to a shooting range at least once a year, and we renew our wedding vows every 25 years (coming up on our 50th anniversary in 2014 and already making plans).

A friend of mine once told me she & her husband were going to renew their wedding vows for their 25th aniversary.
    My response: "THEY EXPIRE?!?!?!?!?"

I was joking.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I had that EXACT same thought watching the girls from Texas Women shoot on their season finale last night. I've lived my whole life in Texas (Dallas, Austin, Houston, and Waco - so... everywhere but the panhandle ) and I've never gone shooting with the girls. I have been with my husband, and I had fun, but I just think it's funny that they all pretend it's SO prevalent.

Oh! And to the list of cliches I would add: shopping for lingerie, and (in the botox vein) boob jobs/nose jobs

You know what else they all do? They all do a teaser at the beginning of the season showing flashing lights/sirens/squawking over a radio that leads you to believe someone either got hurt or (more often, they insinuate) hurt themselves. And it always turns out to be nothing.
    Last edited by addison h.; 06-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.

The short-lived Sunset Daze, about a retirement community in Arizona, could have been a fun show if the producers hadn't orchestrated their lives to the point of total fakeness. The seniors went skydiving, put on a talent show, held a dog birthday party, held a senior prom. It was a contrived version of "Andrew Jenks Room 335," a really good and honest documentary about living in a retirement community. (The 20-something filmmaker actually moved in.)

It feels like reality TV producers are beginning to imitate the imitators, and the genre is getting further and further from actual reality. Sunset Daze had a fascinating cast of real characters, including a former actress and her droll gay son. If they'd just filmed their lives it would have been a lot more entertaining than creating stupid scenarios based on a young producer's cliched notion of how a "young at heart" old person would act.

+ Reply to Thread