+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Stupid is as stupid does": Dumbest moves made on reality shows

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

"Stupid is as stupid does": Dumbest moves made on reality shows

Sometimes you watch people on reality shows make mind-boggling decisions or strategic moves and wonder what the heck were they thinking??? I thought it would be fun to compile some of the most memorable snafu's, big or little.
    One thing that sticks with me after all these years is when Rupert came back on Survivor All-Stars and built his team's shelter in the sand next to the ocean, where it promptly got flooded out. What on earth was he thinking??? He took charge of the project because he supposedly had some building experience. I'm no contracter or engineer but as a child growing up in Florida, building sandcastles on the beach, I quickly learned that if you dig down in the sand you come to water and the tide doesn't stay in one place. The water might be some distance from your castle when you begin building it but by the time you finish, the tide might be on your castle, washing it away. I could see his shelter was doomed while he was still building it and had to wonder why he didn't build a shelter on stilts, farther from the shoreline.

Rupert needs to watch more Holmes on Homes, like I do, so he can learn where to, and where not to, build a shelter.
    JohnnyK likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: "Stupid is as stupid does": Dumbest moves made on reality shows

Erik's Immunity forfeit in Survivor: FvF is always the first to come to mind.

TAR has had some, too. Such as teams that don't know what "walk" means and getting eliminated because of it (Heather and Eve in TAR3). Any team quitting any task usually isn't good either. Big Easy's roadblock quit in TAR15 I always thought was dumb.

Marcellas not using the PoV on himself in BB3 and getting evicted right after.

Project Managers on the Apprentice bringing people into the Boardroom who they just don't like as opposed to who actually sucked, and getting themselves fired.

Some I can think of right now.

FORT Fogey

I can't remember his name, but there was that guy in the first season of Survivor who based whom he was voting out at tribal on an "alphabetical" system in order to be fair. How stupid was that? Not to mention unfair to the rest of the players, because how they played or treated him or anyone else had absolutely nothing to do with whether he voted them out or not.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I can't remember his name, but there was that guy in the first season of Survivor who based whom he was voting out at tribal on an "alphabetical" system in order to be fair. How stupid was that? Not to mention unfair to the rest of the players, because how they played or treated him or anyone else had absolutely nothing to do with whether he voted them out or not.
    I looked it up and the guy who did the alphabet system was Sean Kenniff.

Johnny K reminded me of Bradford on Season Two of the Apprentice, who had immunity but felt so confident he gave it up and told Trump to take him to the boardroom if need be. Trump took him at his word and Bradford was fired, partly for being so stupid as to give up immunity! Partly because he did a lousy job as project manager, leading to his team's loss.

The Amazing Race always has loads of stupid moments--people passing right by clue boxes, getting penalties because they don't read a clue where it tells them to walk to the next destination and they take a taxi, U-Turning a team who is ahead of them, etc.

I just remembered a good one from Big Brother--Kaysar getting back into the house because of votes from his fans and then giving up on the Head of Household competition because he made a deal with the last person standing, Jen, that she wouldn't put him up for eviction. She promptly reneged on the deal, put him up for eviction, and Kaysar was out of the house for good. Everyone else saw that coming. How could Kaysar trust her after she and the others had voted him out once before??? Time to put down the hookah and get your head of the clouds, Kaysar.
    Last edited by pikachu; 12-21-2011 at 01:21 PM.

FORT Fogey

That's him alright--and it just occurred to me that he's actually Dr. Sean in real life.

I'd add to the list of those contestants that just fall into a general category of stupidity anyone who appears on Hell's Kitchen who doesn't make sure they know how to cook beef Wellington, scallops, and risotto correctly before they arrive and/or who are astonished when Ramsey starts verbally abusing them. Or any "customer" on the show who's surprised/irritated when it takes forever to get served. Have they never seen the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Yeah, and that alphabet system SAVED Rich and determined the game. (While not a fan of his - that is what happened). He'd been safe if he had voted for Rich no matter what instead of going to Kelly on the alphabet system.

Another stupid one I've noticed - on Chopped - is that they say you must use all ingredients, yet they will not do one and yet say that they should be safe. I'm like... what part of "All" do you not get?

Models in "ANTM" - this case Shannon - not wanting to do nude/underwear shots yet return to the series knowing that it was most likely going to happen, THEN hoping that their difference between "Underwear" and "Swimsuit" fit the same as the judges' (Never mind that the lingerie looked more like a swimsuit than the panties she wore in the stilt shot). OR thinking that they're going to be exempt from the makeovers and cry about it. While I'm too old for the show, I would - if eligible, take the good with the bad, including makeovers.

FORT Fogey

More general stupidity: anybody on any food-related competition who uses a cake mix unless the challenge specifically requires it. Has using a cake mix ever, ever helped anyone be impressive?

Specific stupidity: Spike, given first choice of any proteins for a challenge, choosing frozen scallops (I think it was scallops--I know it was frozen). Again, using frozen anything when fresh is available almost automatically sends you out the door.

Fort Member

Colby for taking Tina to the final two
    Russell for thinking its a good idea to sabotage your own team
    Every player in Seasons 16, 19, 21 and 22

Anybody who does not bother to learn how to drive a manual car when going on Amazing Race

Any girl who is obsessed with her hair that enters ANTM

Any bachelor/bachelorette who thinks its a good idea to drink as much free booze as possible on the first night
    Any bachelor/bachelorette who has a GF or BF who happens to be a friend of an ex cast member
    Sorry ignore the above two as there has to be a reason for me to keep watching the show

FORT Fogey

Anybody who goes on TAR or any of the MTV challenges who is deathly afraid of heights or water. Come on, you KNOW there are going to be challenges that involve heights or water, and you may not be able to avoid them, even on TAR where only one person has to do some challenges.

Same thing with anyone who goes on Survivor who can't swim or can barely swim. How often do people on Survivor have to swim?

Going on "Fear Factor" and not think that you weren't going to get some sort of adrenaline rush or be SCARED/AFRAID...

I still remember the episode where this duo was eliminated simply because the girl didn't want to do any of them just halfheartedly tried. First round they were saved simply because it was just a prize only challenge, but the second one she tried one time (it was some sort of leech passing bit I think) and then gave up.

I mean... seriously, it's bad when a group just has to get 1 to guarantee they advance and they know it. Even I ca do a couple of these challenges (though no, I wouldn't compete in "Fear Factor" - the live hissing cockroach eating to me was too much).

Not knowing how to make the basic designs in fabric - dress/pants/shorts/etc. for "Project Runway."

Not knowing the difference between silicone and latex in "Face Off" nor a basic understanding of genres/themes to compete in it. (Loved Sam, but she really didn't know psychadelic for that final challenge).

On "Face Off" - not realizing you may have to paint a nude actor in paint in the industry, so they may have the challenge (images of that half-hearted (to be nice) elevator painting with a CLEARLY WRONG lampshade floating in the air just to not paint the person's head still float in my head).

"Project Accessory" Chandelier earrings does not mean make them look literally like chandeliers with the heavy crystals. (Again, loved Diego, but those earrings would pass for mobiles and be just as heavy).

"Survivor" - not knowing how to make fire, boil water, build a simple shelter, fish (at least with hands, unless they're not allowed to in the countries).

Basic, basic stuff - and while I admit a lot of this is due to the pressures and being trapped in a bubble so to speak... it's just some of these are just common sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast