+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Is cussing the new "thing"?

Is cussing the new "thing"?

So this is kind of TV related but I won't make it about TV. In case you don't watch the BB live feeds there are 2 contestants that cuss like sailors! One guy, Paulie says f*cking for every other word. Not quite as shocking since he's a guy but still kind of annoying. Then this other girl, Bridgette, pretty girl, inserts lots of cuss words into normal conversation. I also watched a vlog on FB earlier and again, a pretty girl was doing it and cussing quite a bit.

So my question is, is cussing a "thing"? Don't get me wrong, I cuss but not in everyday conversation, I just think it sounds plain stupid!
    beerbelly likes this.

Re: Is cussing the new "thing"?

I see that Paul on BB18 also uses the F cuss like a pause.

I'm curious too if people are running into this in real life. I don't curse at all - the most I say is 'poop. I *hate* when my mom curses. It drives me crazy. When I told her that 'it's not lady like' she told me 'I don't want to be a f'n lady'. She also seems to curse around children - which makes me want to jump out of my skin.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

When I get angry I probably curse some but don't really like it much, esp. in women. Hope it is not the trend. Wonder how guys feel when they hear a lady curse.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

In spite of my screen name, I'm not perfect. I've been known to drop an occasional swear word, but I try to be aware of who is around me. I don't like offending people.

A couple of weeks ago, my physical therapist was doing one of those measurements on my new knee angle, and he pushed it past my point of silently bearing it. I screamed, "Jesus!" I was so upset WITH MYSELF that I had taken the Lord's name in vain that I asked Jim to take me into one of the private treatment rooms from now on for our end-of-session measurements. I told him that it's never my wish to be offensive, and I had offended MYSELF when I did that. He's a kind person, and we now do the measurements privately, because he pushes HARD, and it HURTS. Nobody there now but hubby and me with him, but I've been told by others that if I groan too loudly, they can hear me. So I still try not to curse.

Hearing someone constantly swear tends to make me disrespect them. It's a sign that their command of the English language is so limited that they don't know proper adjectives, nouns and verbs, so they stick to the few words they do know. Not a sign of class or intelligence, IMHO.
    I'm Paula.

I cuss all the time - at home or around just my immediate family. My mother doesn't like it so I try to respect her and not swear around her. I very rarely cussed in front of my daughter when she was little and try not to out in public. I think of them as just words but understand that others don't feel the same way. I've heard it shows a lack of vocabulary but I reject that premise. My vocabulary is fairly large although not exhaustive. We've had similar discussions before and rattus who occasionally stumps me with words says she swears all the time. IMO her vocabulary is extensive. Having said all that I do have boundaries and try to not cuss like a sailor in front of small children or even loudly out in public.
    Maveno and beerbelly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In spite of my screen name, I'm not perfect. I've been known to drop an occasional swear word, but I try to be aware of who is around me. I don't like offending people.

A couple of weeks ago, my physical therapist was doing one of those measurements on my new knee angle, and he pushed it past my point of silently bearing it. I screamed, "Jesus!" I was so upset WITH MYSELF that I had taken the Lord's name in vain that I asked Jim to take me into one of the private treatment rooms from now on for our end-of-session measurements. I told him that it's never my wish to be offensive, and I had offended MYSELF when I did that. He's a kind person, and we now do the measurements privately, because he pushes HARD, and it HURTS. Nobody there now but hubby and me with him, but I've been told by others that if I groan too loudly, they can hear me. So I still try not to curse.

Hearing someone constantly swear tends to make me disrespect them. It's a sign that their command of the English language is so limited that they don't know proper adjectives, nouns and verbs, so they stick to the few words they do know. Not a sign of class or intelligence, IMHO.
    I was typing as you posted this so I see you are one that is of the opinion it shows a lack of intelligence. My post wasn't directed at you as I was typing before you posted.
    PGM35 and AZChristian like this.

It just seems like millennials do it to be cool again, I just think it sounds ignorant.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I cuss, but that F word is used far too much. When they use it every other word, I feel embarrassed for them quite frankly..
    karna68 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Cussing doesn't seem like anything new to me. I remember Richard Pryor cussing non-stop through his comedy routines way back and there have been plenty of "shock jocks" who say offensive things, including cursing, to provoke a reaction. Personally, I don't like comedians who rely on cussing because it makes them sound crude and unintelligent.

As far as casual use, a lot depends on the situation and the frequency of it. It's never cool to cuss at work, even while on break with co-workers you're friends with. However, I've been hearing more people at working cussing recently, including supervisors! My circle of friends are more intelligent so they're not the type to cuss. I sometimes slip up and cuss with them but I apologize right away. I usually only cuss as a spontaneous expression of emotion. I don't drop cuss words in every sentence, and certainly not every other word in the sentence!

My mom didn't allow cussing when my sister and I were growing up so I wasn't raised to hear or use those words. My dad's new wife, though, swears a lot and now my dad swears a lot in casual conversation like her.
    Current Pools: Celebrity Apprentice 8, Project Runway: Junior 2
    Upcoming Pools:
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

If you cuss all the time you probably can't easily turn it off. It's rude and disrespectful, and for many people it does indicate an inability to draw on more appropriate and potentially colorful language. So a better plan to save it for when there doesn't seem to be a good substitute, or to let the person know you really mean it!

As pik said, cussing isn't new at all, but the cusswords have changed over time.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast