• 3 Post By Miss Scarlet
  • 1 Post By pikachu
  • 3 Post By momrek06
  • 3 Post By Baby's Breath
  • 1 Post By pikachu

Thread: Trends and fads

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Trends and fads

How trendy are you? Are you likely to embrace the newest fad and be one of the first to join in or are you more likely to be dismissive of fads and either not participate or be one of the last to join? What are some of the fads that have come and gone in your time and which have you participated in? Let us know of any new trends or fads so those not in-the-know will be in-the-know!

I have never been one to follow fads. Of everyone in my immediate family, I'd say my dad was the biggest fad-follower, my mom less so, me even less so, and my sister was a trend-setter. So my dad rushed out to get an IBM PC when those were all the rage, our family was one of the first on the block to get a microwave, and of course he had to get a Rush Limbaugh tie when they became popular. My mom and sister were both into the kinetic watches and handless watches when they came out. I preferred to keep my digital watch.

The earliest trend I can remember is when Esprit really took off as a brand. My sister and I were staying with our grandparents one summer while my parents moved us to a new city and while we were in Iowa, my sister found an Esprit shirt she really liked. We were surprised when school started to see how many kids were wearing Esprit. As usual, my sister was right on the cusp of the trend. Of course, she had to get some Reebok's to go with her shirt when she found out those were the popular shoe.

High school fads I can remember were girls drinking out of baby bottles, cinnamon oil (usually on toothpicks), jelly shoes, Rubik's cubes, feather hair accessories, and rubber bracelets. Boy, I feel like there were a lot more but that's all that comes to mind at the moment. I did have a Rubik's cube, a Rubik's snake and a Rubik's chain. I never got very good at solving the cube, though! I did have some feather hair clips and I got rubber bracelets when I dressed as Madonna one year for Halloween.

I never have been into trendy dances and challenges. The chicken dance, the Macarena, gangnam-style, the whip/nae nae? Never cared to learn them. Ice bucket challenge, running man challenge? Don't bother to challenge me. I won't do them. It's interesting that stuff like this comes and goes. I have a hard time understanding why people are interested in them but whatever floats your boat! Maybe I'd have more friends if I stopped analyzing things so much and just participate in whatever goofy thing comes along.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Re: Trends and fads

I've never been strongly into fads. I usually wait to see if they become common use to jump on the bandwagon.
    Usually that's about 3 days before the fad becomes obsolete. Remember, I'm the gal who still uses a VCR to tape.

You must be a lot younger than me. I don't remember any of the high school fads you mentioned, except the jelly shoes. I tried them, wore them once, got the worst open blisters on my feet that didn't heal for a week. Threw them out.
    beerbelly likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Wow, Pik - you're making me feel old. Our high school fads were bell bottoms, peace sign necklaces, and headbands. Of course we also had see-through blouses and hot pants. And you should have seen our mini skirts!! Jeans were only allowed on Fridays. In junior high girls weren't allowed to wear pants at all!
    Punkin and beerbelly like this.
    Count your blessings!

Pants weren't allowed for girls at all, just skirts/dresses. That is, except for after school functions or school dances.

Believe it or not, I have the dubious distinction of being the first girl to ever wear a pair of jeans to a dance at our school. Everyone noticed. I was thought of as being quite the rebel and quite cutting edge. I really didn't even think of it at the time. They were hip hugger bell bottoms and I had just gotten them and was dying to wear them somewhere.

Yes, I was notorious.
    pikachu, beerbelly and Gutmutter like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I was born in 1971. The high school trends I mentioned happened in the late 70's/early 80's.

Gutmutter reminded me of some other ones--mini skirts (I got one skirt and blouse combo but that was the only mini-skirt I ever owned, fingerless gloves ala Billy Idol and Madonna, a real early trend from elementary school days when kids were wearing multiple gold necklaces and bracelets, when guys first started wearing earrings and there was controversy over if they wore one on their right ear alone they were guy, or if it was the left ear alone, or if they were earrings on both ears. Then they had the trend where girls were having their ears pierced multiple times. I only got mine pierced once but my sister had two piercings in each ear. Later they got the trend of eyebrow, tongue, and nose piercings. I only knew one girl in high school who had her nose pierced and she was from India. It hadn't caught on as a fad yet so other students thought it was weird. Boy, wasn't she ahead of her time!

I remember when tribal tattoos where all the rage. Now I watch shows like Ink Master and customers are coming in to get those old tribal tattoos removed or covered.

How about mood rings/bracelets? Pet rocks? Chia pets? Rabbit foot keychains? Scratch and sniff stickers?

I'm not sure what they're called now but the little felt ball things with feet and rolly eyes? You could stick them on desks or on the end of a pencil.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

All those fads were between my time and my kids'. One of my siblings got a pet rock for Christmas one year. I don't think there were as many fads when I was young because most people didn't watch a lot of tv. Then after I left for college, I didn't have a tv for over 10 years, so I wasn't tuned in to all the fads. I was vegetarian when "Diet for a Small Planet" was popular. I guess you could say that was kind of a fad.
    Count your blessings!

Early 1990's .... all my GF's .... we were young Mom's and had BF our kiddos .... the MIRACLE BRA/WONDERBRA is introduced to us and we all ran out and bought it.

None of us felt like it was any kind of WONDER or MIRACLE ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderbra
    KAREN

Happy Fourth of July! Baby's Breath's Avatar

At one point, I had a pair of white patent leather go-go boots. I’m going to guess that was in middle school, but I can’t be sure. Probably my most trendy high school outfit was my matching vest and gaucho pants. I remember it being itchy (must have had wool in it) but it was a brown plaid of some sort, and I always felt very sharp wearing that outfit with a crisp white blouse or a turtleneck leotard. And gosh, in college the fad I wore then (and I’m embarrassed to admit now) Mom purchased for interviews and family holiday gatherings. I would pair a wool plaid skirt (also itchy), a velvet black blazer, and a blouse, and under the collar of the blouse, I’d wear one or two ribbons that matched the colors in the skirt. After graduaiton, that blazer became my staple for something to wear with jeans out to the club. And OH, I had white carpenter jeans. I loved those!

Like so many others, I wanted a Dorothy Hamill haircut, but because my hair had so much body, I ended up with a cut more similar to Olivia Newton-John. I grew to love it and kept my hair that way for many years.

Kids had jumping beans and pet rocks, mood rings, goofy pencil tops, and silly paperweights… but not me. My prized possessions were my PaperMate blue and silver refillable ballpoint pen, my mechanical pencils, and a couple favorite leather purses. One of those purses had the colored engraved flowers on it. Do you remember those?

retro purse.jpg
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

I remember those purses, Baby's Breath! Very pretty.
    Baby's Breath likes this.

+ Reply to Thread