+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: The Wonderful World of Disney

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The Wonderful World of Disney

I figure with all the Disney fans on the forum, we can use a thread to discuss all things Disney--the Disney parks! Disney movies! Disney cruises! Disney collectibles!

Like many kids, I grew up watching Disney movies and tv specials. However, I never knew about that parks until I was about 10 or 12. I remember there was a contest at school and the winner's family would win a trip to Disney World. My classmates were flabbergasted when they heard I didn't know about the parks but my parents had never mentioned them, it had never come up in conversations with friends, and back then I don't remember Disney advertising the parks on tv like they do now.

Disney World opened the same year I was born (1971) so I think that's pretty special! The first time I went there, they were celebrating their 15th year. Obviously, I was 15 at the time. My favorite rides are the Haunted Mansion, the Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Peter Pan ride. The Enchanted Tiki Room is a must-see every trip, too.

I actually got to work at Disney World! I was taking a summer class at the community college and we had a visitor come to talk to our class one day about the school's internship program. I wasn't interested at first but when they mentioned that there was a Criminology internship at Disney World, I signed up! My dad knew the general counsel at Disney at the time and I got to work with her sister for awhile at the Epcot ID center before going to the Magic Kingdom to work at main operations, writing a weekly security news bulletin. I learned so much about being a good worker through the Disney College Program. I would highly recommend it to any young adults looking to get into the workforce. I enjoyed my job and only wish I could have gotten a full-time job there after my internship ended.

I don't really have a favorite Disney movie although I liked the earlier ones better than the more recent ones. Mostly just because more recent cartoons, not just Disney ones, tend to have more smart-alec characters and they rub me the wrong way.
    momrek06 and Cornholio like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Re: The Wonderful World of Disney

Did anyone catch that 60th anniversary of Disneyland special last month? It was great! Sunday nights with Disney were an institution for years.
    momrek06 and Allysense like this.
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I EVERYTHING, DISNEY!!!!

Brett and I were just at the Parks all night!!!

The weather was amazing, crowd level was very doable and we just had a blast!!!

Our FIRST time going to WDW was 1980! Our Honeymoon!

I fell immediately in LOVE with everything DISNEY even though it was only ONE Park!

From the Magic Kingdom, you could see in the distance that they were building EPCOT!

Once we had our boys, we went every other year to WDW right through their college breaks!

Then we moved to California! And finally got the chance to go to Disneyland!
    Punkin and MReid like this.
    KAREN

We just recently took a Disney cruise with family, and it was the BEST cruise we have ever been on! Hands down. The entertainment shows were really excellent. The ship itself was so clean, and the staff went out of their way and beyond to make sure you were completely satisfied all the time. The food was great with a fresh grilled seafood offered daily. We thought the cabins were even a little larger than on the Carnival cruise line. We would definitely recommend this cruise to anyone..and we plan on doing it again.
    "Show a dog an ounce of love and he'll be your friend for life." ~ Stuart and Linda Macfarlane

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    We just recently took a Disney cruise with family, and it was the BEST cruise we have ever been on! Hands down. The entertainment shows were really excellent. The ship itself was so clean, and the staff went out of their way and beyond to make sure you were completely satisfied all the time. The food was great with a fresh grilled seafood offered daily. We thought the cabins were even a little larger than on the Carnival cruise line. We would definitely recommend this cruise to anyone..and we plan on doing it again.
    OMG totally AGREE, angelic!!!!

We have done the 'Land & Sea' ... which is 3 days at Animal Kingdom and 4 days at Sea!!!

CASTAWAY CAY

Loved everything!!!
    KAREN

Our ship couldn't stop at Castaway Cay because of really rough water and waves. I hope next time we will get to see the island. I have heard it's beautiful, and fun there. As a result, our captain and crew cruised around the nearby waters and area where it was really warm, sunny, beautiful weather instead. Disney focuses so strongly on safety, first..so that is a good thing.
    "Show a dog an ounce of love and he'll be your friend for life." ~ Stuart and Linda Macfarlane

Momrek is gonna be posting in this thread non stop I have been to Disney World in Florida 3 times and I love it. The Epcot park is my favorite. I love the different countries they offer in the World Showcase section. Its so peaceful there. I never went to the one in California but i hear its even nicer than the one in Florida.
    2016 Yearbook Title: The FoRT's Big Kid

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The first time I went to Disney World, they were working on Epcot so not all of its pavilions were open.

The Magic Kingdom is my favorite park because of the rides. Epcot doesn't have so many rides and is more fun if you have money to spend at the different countries' stores.

My dad did some work for Disney, which is how he got to know their general counsel, Carol Pakula. He was working with the park to help make them compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act. Our family got to go to the parks a few times while my dad was there for business.

One time we got to stay at the Yacht Club. That's the only time I've stayed at a Disney hotel and it was cool! We could take a ferry to Epcot and go to the park earlier than guests who weren't staying at the hotel. We could watch the nightly fireworks without having to fight the crowd to get back to our car and leave the park after. There were a lot of restaurants nearby. We went to a clam bake at one of the Yacht Club's restaurants the night we got there.

I'd like to stay at the Polynesian resort or Fort Wilderness sometime.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Our ship couldn't stop at Castaway Cay because of really rough water and waves. I hope next time we will get to see the island. I have heard it's beautiful, and fun there. As a result, our captain and crew cruised around the nearby waters and area where it was really warm, sunny, beautiful weather instead. Disney focuses so strongly on safety, first..so that is a good thing.
    Ohhhhh my word, angelic, far better than the Bahama's .... when we got to CC .... be.still.my.heart.

Our ship was THE WONDER.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    Momrek is gonna be posting in this thread non stop I have been to Disney World in Florida 3 times and I love it. The Epcot park is my favorite. I love the different countries they offer in the World Showcase section. Its so peaceful there. I never went to the one in California but i hear its even nicer than the one in Florida.
    Mal, hahahahaha!!! You are right!!! This is my NEW go to thread!!!

You soooooo need to come here some day, PLEASE!!!!
    MReid likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast