+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What do you look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Very cute Femme! But where's the blond hair? I thought it was a requirement Swedes HAD to have blond hair and blue eyes.

BTW, I like the glasses.
    Thanks Uncle David

No blonde hair or blue eyes anyway near me. We are a dark-haired family, my dad has been mistaken for Italian and Turkish (which I also look when I have a nice tan). My mum also has brown hair as well as my sister (they're both lighter than me though). And my grandparents are dark as well. And we're all Swedish!

Although I might go blonde I am way lighter know, when I was a kid I almost had black hair (natural).

When I visited the US five years ago a lot of people asked if I was 100 % Swedish and yep I am. And just a few months a go a Greek guy asked me the same thing (and then if I was really sure). So maybe Iäm not your stereotypical Swede.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Geek: I can't imagine you as a blond. I personally think you are gorgeous as a brunette. (I would love to see you with your roots growing out. ) To a certain extent I agree with your premise regarding hair color. When I saw the pictures from your last trip I didn't just see the images. I also saw your posts, and the screen name you've chosen. Together I saw you as more three dimensional. However, even without the posts and SN I would have 'suspected' your personality and been attracted to it. (ok, the dark hair and contrasting blue eyes would have swayed me some ) I believe we make big decisions about people based on every aspect of their appearance, including their hair.

Years ago I had major surgery my leg. I knew this would make showering difficult for several weeks. Since I was already losing my hair I decided to shave my head. This was many years before it was common to see men with shaved heads. Immediately afterward I noticed people treating me differently. Occasionally it was so extreme (when I would wear denim and wrap around Ray Bans) people would literally move to the other side of the street to avoid passing me by.

I agree with you that hair, or the lack thereof, has a big influence people's first impression of us, but I'm not sure it has any more influence than, say, our cloths. Put a blond in a Goth outfit and you may get the same effect as dying her hair black. .
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Got a new pic taken

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Very cute Femme! But where's the blond hair? I thought it was a requirement Swedes HAD to have blond hair and blue eyes.
    Nice pictures everyone!

Uncle David, I read somewhere that while Scandinavia has more (natural) blonds than the rest of the world, the majority of Scandinavians actually are brunette. I don't remember the figures but I will try to dig them up some time. And when I was traveling through Scandinavia, I found this to be true as well.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Great pics, femme fatale! It's nice to finally be able to put a face on my fellow Swedish FORTer.

Here's a confession: I am blonde and blue-eyed by birth but have been dyeing my hair for so long that I've come to think of myself as a natural brunette. Truth is, post-puberty, I never felt comfortable as a blonde, and that had everything to do with stereotypes and the way people (some people, not all, thank God!) judge you by the way you look. I remember going to the U.S. at the tender age of fourteen - I had blonde hair almost down to my waist back then - and feeling incredibly uncomfortable with all the attention I got. So I literally got home, bought some hair dye and never looked back. Ever since then, I've felt so much happier with the way I look, and the men that approach me now are much more my type than the leering types I got back when I looked stereotypically Swedish. Most of them at least pretend they're interested in what I have to say, as opposed to back in my blonde days, when it was all bad pick-up lines and guys making me feel genuinely uncomfortable. It's sad, really, that the colour of one's hair should make such a drastic difference in terms of how you're perceived by the world in general and men in particular, but I certainly get much more respect as a brunette than I did back when I was au naturel. Even today, I notice a definite difference in how my blonde girlfriends are treated when we go out.

I realise that this is slightly off-topic - hey, this thread is called "What do you look like?"! - but I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experience with dealing with stereotypes based on hair colour or looks in general.

blonde or brunette.....you are still a babe

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy View Post
    blonde or brunette.....you are still a babe
    Why, thank you!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I realise that this is slightly off-topic - hey, this thread is called "What do you look like?"! - but I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experience with dealing with stereotypes based on hair colour or looks in general.
    I was born with white blonde hair and my eyes are a sort of navy/grey. My hair darkened to a golden blonde around sixth grade and I remember being hit on by a man who was about 50+ when I was only 15. I understand what you are saying about uncomfortable attention. Race has never been a big issue with me, but back then I sometimes felt that the only males interested in me were African-American/Native-American/Asian or over 40. That was a long time ago, I'm now over 45 and pretty much treated as an ordinary mom (where are the geezers now? ).
    Is it ironic that my husband is 1/8 Cherokee?
    Last edited by cricketeen; 09-05-2006 at 07:44 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    (where are the geezers now? ).
    Hey cricketeen, how you doin'?
    I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. My brother was passing through town and stopped by the restaurant to see me. Since it was the holiday, I had all my employees dress in patriotic outfits so that's why I'm wearing the flag shirt. My brother is 2 years older than me, I'm the baby of the family.

Looking good, Unk. I dig the shirt, too.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Great pic, Unc. I love the shirt, too.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread