+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What do you look like?

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    You write romance? Do tell. Have you been published? Do you write short stories, novels? This is so exciting. I love the word smoldering.
    I write steamy romance. Novel length. My first novel will be published in December and there will probably be another one shortly after that. I'm working on my fourth book now. The first one is horrible and will never see the light of day.

I also write some pieces for Chicken Soup books (under my real name. The romance is under my maiden name).

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel View Post
    I write steamy romance. Novel length. My first novel will be published in December and there will probably be another one shortly after that. I'm working on my fourth book now. The first one is horrible and will never see the light of day.

I also write some pieces for Chicken Soup books (under my real name. The romance is under my maiden name).
    That is so cool to know, nliedel! I feel honored to share writing space with an author... this is the closest I'll ever get......
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    That is so cool to know, nliedel! I feel honored to share writing space with an author... this is the closest I'll ever get......
    Yeah well anyone can write a book, so don't be too honored Everyone has at least one book in em.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by nliedel View Post
    I write steamy romance. .
    I tried reading one of those once. My glasses fogged over and the ink ran off the pages before i could finish reading them and where the water dripped....well lets just say it was embarrassing when I stood up cause I had the book in my lap...

Funny! Snort (yes, I really do snort when I laugh. People don't expect it of me and when it happens they either laugh with me or look horrified. The ones that laugh are the ones I remain friends with).

UncleD I understand what you mean... I already wish I could turn back time and live every minute to the fullest. I miss alot of what I loved so much back then and now. Haejin, nice to know someone my age too.
    Rusty Nail Candy Cane

I am about to cross the final frontier, posting a picture of myself. This is taken yesterday, on a ferry, somewhere between Germany and Denmark.

Can might as well post two pics at once so you can get a full view of me, this is me in Dublin last October

After seeing the other pics here I am starting to feel old. Femme Fatale you look all of 17!
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Very cute Femme! But where's the blond hair? I thought it was a requirement Swedes HAD to have blond hair and blue eyes.

BTW, I like the glasses.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Great pics, femme fatale! It's nice to finally be able to put a face on my fellow Swedish FORTer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Very cute Femme! But where's the blond hair? I thought it was a requirement Swedes HAD to have blond hair and blue eyes.
    Here's a confession: I am blonde and blue-eyed by birth but have been dyeing my hair for so long that I've come to think of myself as a natural brunette. Truth is, post-puberty, I never felt comfortable as a blonde, and that had everything to do with stereotypes and the way people (some people, not all, thank God!) judge you by the way you look. I remember going to the U.S. at the tender age of fourteen - I had blonde hair almost down to my waist back then - and feeling incredibly uncomfortable with all the attention I got. So I literally got home, bought some hair dye and never looked back. Ever since then, I've felt so much happier with the way I look, and the men that approach me now are much more my type than the leering types I got back when I looked stereotypically Swedish. Most of them at least pretend they're interested in what I have to say, as opposed to back in my blonde days, when it was all bad pick-up lines and guys making me feel genuinely uncomfortable. It's sad, really, that the colour of one's hair should make such a drastic difference in terms of how you're perceived by the world in general and men in particular, but I certainly get much more respect as a brunette than I did back when I was au naturel. Even today, I notice a definite difference in how my blonde girlfriends are treated when we go out.

I realise that this is slightly off-topic - hey, this thread is called "What do you look like?"! - but I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experience with dealing with stereotypes based on hair colour or looks in general.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread