+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal With Problem Co-Workers?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Duxxy, like I've said before, I'm not out to get her fired. All I want is for her to do her share of the work. I understand that she has worked for the company for 26 years, but NOT for this particular boss. She has worked for him the same amount of time I have. I don't care that she knits, especially since I'm here on my down time. I care that she won't put the stuff down to take care of a client or to do her own paperwork. I wasn't hired as her personal secretary. I was hired to be a licensed agent. I know that if she were ever to lose this job, it would kill her. But if someone isn't doing their job, the boss has every right to tell them that they need to start without feeling guilty they told them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    And if that doesn't work, tell your husband to aim at his...

I'd do that except my husband is usually always on his team :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    I'd do that except my husband is usually always on his team :mad:
    Sucks. Well, John from FORT knows how to play paintball. Maybe if you baked him some delicious cookies...

(Also, what you said above re:people doing their own work is very true. What would happen if you returned the work that belongs to her? That might be something to consider. It might not kill her to work either. Maybe she'll even get a sense of accomplishment).

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Sucks. Well, John from FORT knows how to play paintball. Maybe if you baked him some delicious cookies...

(Also, what you said above re:people doing their own work is very true. What would happen if you returned the work that belongs to her? That might be something to consider. It might not kill her to work either. Maybe she'll even get a sense of accomplishment).

Now theres an idea.....Oh John what kind of cookies do you like? LOL

Oh Jeez if I give her back the work she gives me, she throws a hissy fit like a little kid. It never gets done either, then the boss looks at me like hey why wasn't this done yet. Luckily for him he has never said anything to me about it yet because I think I would have to slap him.

But you know what, I'm a firm believer that we actually do someone a disservice when we don't require them to be accountable for their actions or when we cover up for them, because then they never learn from it.

I would really want to say, Who cares if she throws a hissy. If it's her work, then let her have her fit - but in the end, it will be her work that doesn't get done. And, if you are documenting it, "So and so gave me X, Y, and Z work to do, which was hers, and I didn't have time to do it because I was doing my own work and she got upset about it," then you've been accountable, and you are requiring her to be accountable. Plus, you are keeping a written journal documenting it.

People like that just tick me off so much!!!! My hat is off to you for putting up with it for so long.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

CC...this may have been mentioned and if it has, my apologies for the redundancy. Ask your boss to completely and fully document specific job responsibilities for both positions. Not only could this help now, but would also help your boss if he/she ever needs to fill one of the positions in the future. Having weekly status meetings also helps once the jobs are documented. If it's on paper that something is her responsibility and it comes to light during the weekly status meeting, then it's not you telling on her, it's her lack of closure being outted.

As an HR professional, I've found that specific job descriptions and documention works wonders for situations like this. The status meetings hold employees' feet to the fire for their own job duties.

GrammarGoddess, that is excellent advice. The only problem is we are both licensed agents. There are no differences between us. We are both supposed to be doing the same work. We are here to service our clients, get new ones and help with problems. I do my part, she doesn't. There is really no way for him to slipt the work, since we both answer the phone and are here to help.

Combatcutie, chrelsey and GrammarGoddess and others have such great advice.

There must be someway your boss gages the work performance of his employees. Either by calls made and received or who goes into account or ? How are performances measured>

Have you started baking yet?

Do you each have your own accounts? If so, that would be a good way to document with an action item list. I don't know what biz you're in, so hard to give detailed advice. Give it some thought - you might come up with an out-of-the-box, subversive way to accomplish this and gain a little sanity back. Or, make the status meeting performance-based, where you document what you accomplished the previous week and discuss what you're going to accomplish the coming week.

Good luck...workplace stuff sucks rocks, I know. Hard to spend the majority of your time in a place where you're miserable.

I know my boss knows I do the majority of the work. He has told his mother, wife, family, and friends that if it wasn't for me his business would have closed. I know he appreciates the effort I put into my job. His friends who are agents (oh by the way I'm an insurance agent) have teased him about stealing me away from him so their business could grow like his did the first year I was here. All of his agent friends (and his regular friends) like me a ton and have told him that when she does answer the phone she is very rude to them. I've come to the conclusion that he would rather give me the work to do b/c he knows it will get done, which is fine. But when I'm busy doing something he gave me, she doesn't try to help out with the phones or taking care of the customers that walk in. Not to mention that she is getting paid to do personal stuff ALL the time. She never EVER puts it to the side.

Now where did I put the flour

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast