+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal With Problem Co-Workers?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee

Question, are other employees affected by her incompetance or bothered by it? If so, unite. Either way, do what you have to do. A good worker shouldn't have to worry about cr@p like that. If they drag their feet, remind them that it's a business and not an outreach or charity.

Good luck and please keep us up to date.
    Awww. Thanks eldee. I know I can always come to my family at FoRT for advice. Unfortunately, it is just the two of us in the office and my boss. Its an insurance agency, so we really don't need more than that right now. Our business is still growing, despite her loosing some clients. I've made up for the ones she lost. To be perfectly honest, he doesn't even need her because I do all the work with little help from my boss. Right now, I'm just not speaking to them in hopes that something will change, since I don't like confrontation. I've also cut back in the amount of work I do. I refuse to be someone's slave when they get paid more than I do.

We still hope that you at least make that meeting with your boss. I understand about confrontation. Maybe if you pretend that you are speaking on behalf of a sister or bestfriend (but, don't tell him this) you will find your voice.

Just remember, you are NOT doing anything wrong. It is your RIGHT to speak for yourself. If you don't try again, not talking to your boss will not help you, especially if you originally liked him. Eventually, you will be more miserable while the problem continues and you hold your discontent inside. Don't let others have any power (real or otherwise) over you.

Remember, you can always come to your FORT friends to let off steam.

CC - I really do feel for you, and I think that you have been given a lot of great advice. Even though it is just the three of y'all in the office, I would still document everything - meetings, confrontations, even the work you do that is hers to do. If - for some reason - you ever needed the documentation . . . say you get laid off or fired and she doesn't, it just might come in handy when it comes to unemployment or fighting back.

Other than that, I would just recommend that you look for somewhere else to work. Life is just too short to be unhappy in what you do, and if you are going home crying every single day, then you're not happy. It will eventually take a toll on you in all areas of your life - your marriage, your friendships, etc. because you will be at the breaking point.

Sending good thoughts your way . . . .
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey
    Other than that, I would just recommend that you look for somewhere else to work. Life is just too short to be unhappy in what you do, and if you are going home crying every single day, then you're not happy. It will eventually take a toll on you in all areas of your life - your marriage, your friendships, etc. because you will be at the breaking point.

Sending good thoughts your way . . . .
    CC! Sorry this is happening to you! I agree with John and MIss F and Eldee etc. about documenting everything, and that said, I really, really, think you should look for something else. It honestly doesn't sound like this woman will change. She sounds toxic, and you've got to get away from toxic people like that! Like Miss F said, there will be icky people everywhere, but that said, there are degrees of "ickiness". You'll run into peope with whom you don't mesh with, but then there are those people who make life a living hell. Get away from those people!

I work with such great people now that I can't even imagine why I put up with all the unprofessional crap I put up with in the past. :rolleyes There are better places to work, CC!

ETA: Miss F! So happy you're leaving that guy behind! "Girl" is on her way out! Whoo hoo!
    Last edited by Shazzer; 11-14-2003 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to start documenting things now. But for the time being, I will also continue to not talk to either of them until absolutely necessary. I'm hoping that my boss will come to his senses and say something to her, especially since he is starting to pick up the slack here.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    ........I'm hoping that my boss will come to his senses and say something to her, especially since he is starting to pick up the slack here.

Good. Does he even realize how and why he has more work to do or is he just thick?

FORT Fogey
    I think the next time he asks for repeated help I would say I don't know they must have changed the system since I showed you the last few times. If you figure it out will you show me?

Quote Originally Posted by eldee

Good. Does he even realize how and why he has more work to do or is he just thick?

I think he realizes it, but doesn't want to say anything. His motto is "If I'm not complaining, then why do anything about it". Even though he has to do extra work. Oh well, eventually he'll have to say something. My husband plays paintball with him and they will be playing in the next week or so and if its not fixed by then, my husband is going to tell him that I'm not happy with this situation and am looking for work elsewhere. I know that's not the way to deal with it, but I don't know what else to do. The problem is my boss is way too nice and lets people walk all over him.

Its totally unfair that you 'girls' are being treated this way. As usual the FORTies have offered up sound advice, I hope it serves you well.
    CC- if this woman has been in the work force for 26 years is it possible that she is close to retirement? Maybe your boss has a soft spot for her and he knows darn well that it's you who is doing all of the work he just doesn't have the heart to get rid of her so late in her life? I had a boss like this, he let this much older woman slack off and I picked up her slack - with no pay raise of course (job- not a career, money was an issue) and when I asked him about it one day he said .. so-and-so has been with me for 32 years. She dedicated herself to my business and I don't have a pension plan in place for her, this is all that she has are you going to ask me to take that away from her? Also she was single and just a tad bit needy in the attention department. He honestly felt that if he let her go that she would just wither away and die within 6 months with no direction in life- no reason to get out of the bed in the morning.
    I am not telling you this to elicit a drop of sympathy from you, just to maybe give you an insight into his thinking.. I'm probably dead wrong.
    I feel badly for you, for everyone who is good at their job, puts in 110%, takes on extra tasks without complaining, those who generally keeps the business marching on and you still have to put up with lame ass co-workers that suck the joy out of your work day. Its hard enough to maintain a positive attitude without picking up the slack for 'lazybones'
    Good Luck!! Keep your chin up
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    ...... My husband plays paintball with him and they will be playing in the next week or so and if its not fixed by then, my husband is going to tell him that I'm not happy with this situation and am looking for work elsewhere.......
    And if that doesn't work, tell your husband to aim at his...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast