+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 112 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree1351Likes

Thread: Girl Talk

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Girl Talk

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread split off from the Koffee Klatch to discuss feminine issues that might make the guys uncomfortable.

My issue today is bras. How many bras do you have and how many do you regularly wear? How often do you get a new bra?

I usually keep a bra until it's coming apart or sagging too badly to be of any use. It's hard for me to find bras my size and that I actually like so I'll patch up bras if necessary until I find a satisfactory replacement. I prefer to find one type of brand I like and then keep buying that but brands change all the time and they don't always keep around the type of bra I liked.

I have a whole drawerful of bras at home but I only wear a few. I have one main one that I always wear (brown) and another one I wear when this one is in the wash (white) or when wearing a white shirt that might be sheer enough for my darker bra to be seen through. I also have a black bra that I wear with black dresses.

When I was younger, I hated what I called hook and ladder bras, that is bras with a lot of hooks in the back. But now I realize that with the load I'm carrying upfront, I need more support than one or two little hooks can give! No one seems my bra anyway so they're not going to see how many hooks there are.

I need to get a new bra soon. I don't remember when I bought this last one but I think it was probably two years ago, around the time when I lost a lot of weight. It's not holding up like it used to and it smells, even after I've taken it out of the wash. I hate the idea of bra shopping but I must do it. I really should get 2 or 3 bras so I can rotate bras and not wear the same one all week.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Re: Girl Talk

I wash my bras every time I use them. I have one brand/style I like and have several of that style in white, beige, and black. I was taught to wear nude color bras with white shirts or anything the least bit sheer. Of course, now the style is to wear black or a bold color with the intention of it being seen underneath.
    Count your blessings!

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I hate any bra that hooks in the back. Playtex makes a number of good front-opening bras with padded straps that aren't expensive, and I love them. They also tend to be a better back support than a traditional bra. And good back support equals good front support.

The first step, pikachu, is to have a profession bra fitting if you've never had one. Any good department store will have women in the lingerie department who are trained to do this. And I also occasionally go to the Hanes / Playtex outlet at any outlet mall; their salesladies can do the fitting, too. The fittings are free.

Once I find a bra I like, I go online and order one or two in white, beige, and black. Then I know I have a comfy bra to wear under everything. I have 8-10 bras of various ages and colors. I also have a separate supply of less restrictive sports bras that I sometimes wear if I'm not leaving the house. LOL.

A good bra is not an expense - it is an investment. Good bras last longer, help avoid shoulder and back problems, and make you feel good from the skin out.
    karna68 likes this.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

I hate spending money on clothes when there are so many other things I'd rather spend money on but it does become a necessity at some point!

I did have a bra fitting once but it was a while ago and I didn't think they did such a good job. It wasn't like I've seen on What Not to Wear, where they discuss which type of bra would be best for your body and make sure everything fits correctly. It was more like the lady recommended what size I needed but didn't get into which type of bra would work best for me. I think I'll check into getting a bra fitting somewhere else. I don't remember right off where I got the other one. I think it was Victoria's Secret.

I'm picky about bras. I like adjustable straps because I don't have to worry about them getting unhooked and falling off. I don't like overly frilly or lacy bras with bows and doo-dads that can rub against me or show through my clothing. Underwire bras can be unfortable and leave a mark under my boobs. I prefer to get a nude bra so it can be worn under anything but sometimes I can only find one in my size in white or brown. I have tried front-closure bras but they tend to work themselves loose.

Sometimes when I'm wearing a dress, I'll wear a one-piece bathing suit underneath. It makes going to the bathroom more complicated but it's good for keeping everything tucked in and if my dress flies up, I won't be embarrased about having anything showing. People would only get a look at my bathing suit!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Do you know what they call old people at Victoria's Secret? Nothing . . . because apparently we are invisible there. I've walked into several of their stores and can not get a saleslady to even acknowledge my existence. So I take my Visa card with it's high-spending capability and go somewhere else.

And I have NEVER had a front-opening bra come open. Ever. Not even one hook. Methinks you definitely need another fitting. Go to Macy's or Dillards. They have women working there, not high-school students who can't be bothered to look up from their iPhones.

Here's the type I like. It's real comfy.
    karna68 and pikachu like this.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

I just got 4 new maidenform bras on a living social deal. It was 2 for $24.99. Once you get your size nailed down maybe you can do this?

I like how they show the bra fittings on What Not to Wear. It makes such a big difference. I had one at Victoria's Secret and it was the same experience as you girls - I think the girl working there was maybe 16 or 17 and had no clue.

https://www.livingsocial.com/browse/cities/524/searches?utf8=%E2%9C%93&city_search_id=524&country_search_id=1&query=bras&city_name=Naples

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with Victoria's Secret. I thought they would be the place to go since they're all about bras and panties but their customer service leaves much to be desired, especially if you're not built like a model. Macy's and Dillards are good! I'll definitely check out one of them.

I am such a failure as a girl. I absolutely hate clothes shopping!! I always have, even when I was younger and not quite so overweight. Trying on clothes isn't fun for me and I'm not good at telling how something will look on me when I see it on a mannequin or on a hanger. My grandma (mom's mom) was an excellent shopper. She could accurately guess a person's size and was very good at picking out things that looked good on me. There were plenty of times she'd send my sister and I clothes for Christmas and I'd think I wasn't going to like something because it wasn't my style on it, but it looked different when I put it on and I actually liked it! I wish some of her magic had rubbed off on me.

I guess my mom was a pretty decent shopper. I know she loved spending money and she had a lot of outfits that I thought looked really nice on her. I'm not sure how often she went shopping. She usually didn't take me with her because she knew I hated clothes shopping.

Im pretty picky about mine too. I dont like lacy/frilly. I prefer back closure and adjustable straps. I prefer underwire or I feel droopy. I need slightly padded because my nipples are VERY sensitive (I know, TMI) When I find one I like and fits well I make sure I have at least a tan one and a black one. I rarely wear a white one, I think that goes back to college when after one wash it would get discolored thanks to the iron in the water. I have a couple of patterned ones that I wear here and there. I have a strapless to wear with my maxi dresses. I have 2 sports bras that are pretty uncomfortable so I don't wear them too often lol

I'm like that with underwear too, pretty picky. I used to LOVE Hanes Her Way (HHW) which they don't make anymore so I'm having trouble finding what I like recently. There are HANES for women, but they dont seem to fit the same. I prefer bikini cut, darker colors to lighter colors.

VS people aren't good for the "plus" ladies either. I am right on the cusp of plus and can never find underwear that fits there, I have never even tried bras there because I haven't seen any that I liked in my size. I still have a gift card from my wedding 10 years ago that I haven't used (I keep meaning to use it on lotion or something but keep forgetting I have it til I see it in the recesses of my wallet!)
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Oh, yes, I'm picky about underwear, too! I don't like thongs, high-risers, bikini cut, boy shorts, etc. I like just plain granny panties, I suppose you could call them (or briefs). I hate the feel of nylon or other synthetic fabrics. It's boring wearing plain white panties so I like the variety packs where you get assorted patterns and colors. It annoys me when I find packs where I love the colors and prints but they aren't my size and when I finally find some in my size, all they have is all-white or solid colors. It's like they think once a gal gets big, she doesn't want cute underwear anymore!

I used to wear Hanes Her Way, too, AmyKay! Now I usually get Just My Size.

I don't wear a whole lot of other lingerie. I used to wear body shapers quite a bit when I wore dresses and skirts more frequently but now that I wear jeans and shirts all the time, I don't wear them. I absolutely loathe pantyhose and tights. I haven't worn slips in a long time, either. I find them annoying because they like to ride up so all day, I'm pulling them down to keep them covering what I want to cover. That's why I usually just wear a bathing suit instead. It stays in place!

Oh I hear you about Victoria's secret! I'm on the low side of plus but I have small hips so I can wear VS panties. I went in there one day to look at them and they were stocking right where I wanted to look and didn't even acknowledge me! I was fuming. I emailed their customer service and they sent me a 20% off coupon. Haven't used it yet, was going to go to a different store but just haven't made it there yet.

Bras are a different story, they don't carry my size in all stores, I have to go to Cacique. But I love all different colors and patterns. I probably have 20 bras, lol!

+ Reply to Thread