+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 175 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree2130Likes

Thread: Girl Talk

Re: Girl Talk

One thing I DON'T search for in a bra, are underwires. I do not like them. I prefer mine not to have underwires, and not overly padded. I was always told it isn't strictly the brand you buy that determines whether a good bra will last, but it's the way you should launder them.. they should be washed on a gentle cycle, then air dried.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've heard that how you put your bra on and take it off also affects it's longevity. It's bad to pull them over your head, like a t-shirt, because it can stretch them and make them sag. I put my bra on by having it upside down with the back facing the front, then I hook it, turn it to the back, and pull the straps up over my arms. I'm not as good at taking them off, though. I usually do pull them over my head like a t-shirt instead of reversing the putting on process.

When I can't find any bras but underwires and I desperately need a new bra, I'll buy the underwires and then remove the wires when I get home. They aren't as supportive then but at least they're not painful, either.

I'm not as good as I could be with laundering bras. They go in the wash with the rest of my clothes. At one time, I bought lingerie bags to put them in and I used them a few times but now I don't know where they're at. I also put my bras in the dryer instead of hanging them up. I haven't found a place in my condo where I can hang clothes and get them dry. They stay damp on my back porch and in the bathroom. Since I live in a condo instead of a house, I don't want to put my unmentionables on a clothesline out in the yard.
    Last edited by pikachu; 06-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Since I never had an underwire bra, I didn't realize you can take the wires out. That's good to know. I use to launder mine gently, but anymore, I launder mine with the white loads.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

My boss and I were discussing spending more money on bras the other day. I hate to spend money on them, however I'm almost to the point I got to with shoes. Some things are just worth spending more on. If you cinsider how often you wear bras as opposed to other clothing it may make it less painful. The spending ratio per use is probably pretty good.

As far as laundering them, probably the more gentle you are with them the longer they will last. I wash mine in a lingerie bag and never dry them in the dryer. That's because my mother told me that heat breaks down elasticity. Oddly, I don't think she air drys her bras! To air dry them, I usually lay them on the guest bed or even my bed, and turn the overhead fan on. As I do more laundry throughout the day I try to totate them so the fan reaches different spots. They are almost always dry by nightime.

My prefered bra is underwire. I love them. I also love a molded cup. It doesn't need to have padding but does need to be molded. That's because. I don't want the world to know when. I'm too cold.
    Punkin, karna68 and AmyKay like this.

I haven't worn underwire bras since I discovered that the numbness in my arms was from the wire poking into my arms. I have taken wires out of underwire bras, but then they don't have any support, so I prefer a bra that is designed to support you without underwires. I actually prefer J.Jill's tank tops with built in shelf bras. It isn't as much support and doesn't shape me to my best advantage, but it is the next best thing to going braless. Very comfortable. I haven't worn slips or pantyhose or any kind of shape wear for decades. I'm all about comfort. I don't own a single pair of heels.
    Count your blessings!

I don't own shoes with heels anymore, either. I used to have a pair of dress sandals I absolutely loved that had a short, sturdy heel. After they fell apart, I wasn't able to find another shoe I liked as well so now I stick to fisherman's sandals. I used to love the Cabin Creek brand they sold at JC Penney but they discontinued the brand so now I buy Aerosoles.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

I never wear a bra two days in a row - the elastic needs to "recover" and wearing them all the time causes them get out of shape. I don't wash them after every wearing because that can wear out the elastic too. I wear them a few times and then work out a few times in them and then wash them. Always on gentle and in cold water (if I don't hand wash) and then I hang them to dry. I've got 6 or 7 in "rotation" right now, so I'm not constantly washing them.

Bras aren't cheap, but the right one - underwire or not - shouldn't be uncomfortable. I just watch sales and wait. I usually get pretty good prices. I found a style that fits, so I can order online without the ordeal of the fitting room.

I don't have an issue with Victoria's Secret, although I've always considered it a place that sells bras mainly to women who don't need to wear them. I like a cute bra, but I also need one with support. I don't want a bra that looks like the lingerie equivalent of orthopedic shoes.

I have quite a few pairs of heels in my closet, although I don't have occasion to wear them very often. My winter shoes are heeled "shooties" in several colors. My favorite shoes - at least aesthetically - are my 3" stack heeled Fluevogs. They're dark red tooled leather and I love them. I periodically just take them out of the box to look at them. I feel like Pee Wee Herman and his bike with these shoes. They're a work of art.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So what do you like most about being a girl?

I love not having to shave my face every day like men do. I think women have more options open to them than men do. A woman can dress in the clothes men do, do typical "manly activities", etc, but the same is not always true for men. Some men do wear makeup, women's clothes, and take professions that are typically thought of as feminine but they're often ridiculed when they do. I'm sort of old-fashioned so I like being treated with chivalry--having guys open doors for me, offer to carry heavy objects for me, etc. I like being able to be open with my emotions and not being told to "act like a man" and kept it inside.

I like having long, wavy hair and dressing in my own bohemian style. I wear a lot of long skirts layered with a tank top and kimono style top, unbuttoned shirt, or a cardigan in the winter. I rarely wear structured pants except jeans when I'm gardening or hiking. I find that when I wear yoga pants and tennis shoes I have more energy and get more work done, but at home I mostly go barefoot or just socks in the winter.
    pikachu likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I buy the balconette bras from Cacique, lots of pretty colors and patterns. They give good shape and support and are comfortable, they have underwires too.

I wear mostly flat shoes, I've tried to get more adventurous and wear a low heel. I'll wear a wedge or something but definitely no spikey heels.

I'm definitely a girly girl, I love makeup and everything girly, I love getting pretty but I also love relaxing in sweats and a t-shirt.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread