+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Harry Potter Fan Thread

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Harry Potter Fan Thread

We recently realized that lots of folks here are fans of Harry Potter movies (and books). While each movie has its own thread, now that the series is over - and interest in all things Potter seems to be still going strong - let's put it all here.

OK to discuss:
    • Movies (cast members as their HP persona or sightings of them in other projects, people we know from elsewhere who are in any of the HP films, fun little facts, trying to stump each other with movie trivia, etc.)
    • Books
    • Theme parks, movie studios, traveling exhibits, etc.
    • Any other interesting Harry Potter stuff.

For those who don't like Potter, or who aren't interested . . . now you don't have to be concerned about Pottermania affecting other parts of FoRT. You only have to avoid one thread!!!!

So let's have some fun!!!!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Harry Potter Fan Thread

I wish wizarding was real. I think I'd be like Hermoine--wanting to learn all I could. And I'd love to have a pet owl!

If I went to Hogwart's, they'd never get me to leave after I graduated! I'd be spoiled having a magical banquet appear at each meal and not having to wash dishes.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Thanks for setting this up! So much fun.

I recently finished the entire series again, for I think the 3rd time. It's amazing how much you can pick up on with each re-read. I love how thorough Rowling was with her little details pointing to events that will happen much later. She must have had quite the outline to keep her organized!!

My kids are equally enamoured with all things Harry Potter. We took them to the studio where the movies were filmed when we went to Europe in 2013. It was early in our trip and we were travelling carry on only, but of course each girl just had to buy something from the gift shop. Emma travelled Europe from that point on with a stuffed Buckbeak while Autumn cuddled a stuffed Crookshanks. Pretty funny how many people recognized what they were! The tour itself was simply amazing. If I can I'll dig up some of our pictures and post them here.
    pikachu and AZChristian like this.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

I'd love it if folks would share at what point in their lives and/or in the publishing of the books did they fall in love with Potter.

I never knew anything about HP (I'd heard about it, but that was it) until the weekend after "Deathly Hallows" came out in hardback. A woman (my age) at Sam's Club was standing in front of the display, clutching a copy of the book as though she was afraid someone would rip it out of arms (in spite of the 200 other copies still on the display). I asked her if the books were any good. She said (aghast), "You've never read Harry Potter?" I told her that I wouldn't even know which one was first in the series.

She pointed out to me that on the spine, the first book says "Year 1" . . . and so on. Included in the display were the earlier books in paperback. I picked up "Philosopher's Stone" . . . figuring that if I didn't love it, I was only out $4.88. The next day was Sunday. I plopped down into my recliner and opened the book. About 30 pages in, I was already hooked. I asked my hubby to go up to Sam's and get me the rest of the books. Read through them all in about 3 weeks (I was working full-time), and immediately turned around and read them all again.

How about the rest of you? Were you among the crowds waiting at midnight for the release of each book/movie?

Just in time for our new thread.

JK is sorry she killed off Fred.

Summertime Living Easy Arielflies's Avatar

There is also a link within the link for additional information on Dolores Jane Umbridge. She was meant to be a witch bitch all the way.

I just finished the movies again. I had to take a break before Harry walks into the forest in order to replenish my kleenex supply. That snitch opens and I bawl.

My first book was also a paper back purchased at KMart during its run before book 2. When book 2 came out I pre-ordered the hard cover from Amazon and also purchased the first book in hard cover. I ordered the set book by book and they are the only hard cover books I own; they are that special.

You can purchase the set for kindle, but Amazon sends you off to a Potter site to make the purchase. I have kindle on my phone and, while waiting for whatever, I whip it out. I'm currently reading The Order of the Phoenix one small page at a time.

That's my Potter introduction. Looking forward to others.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-04-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    AZChristian likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I read aloud to my kids a lot and I read almost the whole series with the older ones listening in as we got further into the books and I was still reading to the youngest. (I butchered Hermione's name) Once we got to the last two I had to buy several copies of each so everyone could read at the same time. When the last book came out I ran to the bookstore and sat in the car to read the ending so nobody would spoil it for me.
    When I taught languages I had a Spanish dubbed video that some students weren't allowed to watch for religious reasons.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I was introduced to Harry Potter when I was working on my Master's and looking for something "light" to read for fun. GOF had just come out and I whipped through the first 4 books in a few weeks. Loved it instantly. I was in line at the bookstore for the release of 5, 6 and 7. I actually took the day off of work when 7 was released so I could read it all in one day without getting spoiled.

I dragged my then bf (now husband) to each movie premier. He doesn't really get the Potter love, but he supports it. He bought me tickets to the Harry Potter exhibit last year (where they showcased the movie props) and has bought me all kinds of memorabilia as gifts over the years (I'm not a fan of jewelry, lol). The most recent is an original movie poster for COS that is signed by the 3 stars. Love it!!!

I have all the books on audio and listen to them constantly while on longer drives (by myself....that's where hubby draws the line, lol). For the past few years, I was commuting over an hour to work, so there was plenty of time to listen. Once I get to the end of DH, I instantly flip back to the start of SS. I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the entire series that way....but the narrator is fantastic and I love the story. And I know it so well I don't have to pay attention 100% of the time.

I'm hoping to make it to the theme park in Florida eventually. Maybe next year

And, of course, I'm a member of Pottermore. I don't check in often, but I love the tidbits and new stories when I do.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Don't let the small things sweat

FORT Fogey

Thank you for this thread! Potterlove needs to be exercised regularly.

My kids grew up with Harry and his friends, my son was 11 when the first book came out. We read them as a family, me reading aloud to everybody because if anybody else read aloud, I would fall asleep. Gutmutter, funny that you said you butchered Hermione's name. We did too. We called her HER-mee-onn. What dolts! But hey, we aren't British. Arielflies, when Harry is standing in the forest about to accept his fate and he turns to his mom and says "stay close to me" and she says "to the end" ... I just crumble every time. Big loud sobs! Can't help it.

I remember having to wait between books 4 and 5, it seemed like forever before that book came out. It was especially painful because of the way book 4 ended, with Voldemort coming back. Then to have Dumbledore ignore Harry for the first 2/3 of book 5 was torture. I was so mad at him.

My son has a best friend from 1st grade, they were nearly inseparable back then. Well, one weekend when one of the movies was coming out (can't remember which one right now) we were so excited to go see it. Well, his friend finally got to our house and we headed out to the movie! Halfway there, the friend asks "which movie are we going to see?" I can go see anything except Harry Potter. His pastor had proclaimed all things Harry Potter ungodly. Honestly ...

Anyway ... fun trip down memory lane! I've read the entire series at least half a dozen times. Might be time to pick it up again.

This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

I started reading about the time the third book was about to be released. I love the craftsmanship in the stories: while the "children's book" characterizations (especially the Dursleys) were a little over-the-top for me, the breadth of the world and the great use of Harry's POV as a storytelling device were fantastic (I often liken her to George RR Martin and the Game of Thrones books in that you see the events of the story through the eyes of the characters, but what you're seeing isn't the whole truth and it's kind of up to you to deduce what's really going on. Too few authors are actually good at that).

I got the rest as they game out, even going back and getting the 4-book hardcover set so that I have nice versions of the books for my rereads. The internet spoiled me on book six (three little words.... argh), so for book seven I actually took time off of work and went completely internet dark from the time it released until the time I finished it!

BTW, on another note: if you get the chance, go to the Wizarding World at Universal in Florida. Walking from the London street into Diagon Alley is (if the books inspired anything in you at all) pretty amazingly magical! The area is also spot-on with the movies visually and has plenty of callbacks to the books that never made it to the movies. The whole thing is off the charts good: Hogsmeade was the first section and is good but not as good was Diagon, but both are totally amazing. I may or may not now have a set of robes, a wand, and other various supplies.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast