+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Harry Potter Fan Thread

FORT Fogey

Re: Harry Potter Fan Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In the book, she tells Harry and Ron that if they defeat Voldemort and there is no danger to them, she can restore their memories. So I bet she did.
    Thanks! I didn't remember that being addressed in the book, so that's good to know.

BTW, awesome tattoo! Looks like you had great fun with it.
    AZChristian likes this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Shirin's tweet from May 1st

Shirin Oskooi @theshirin · May 1
    Jeff is Horace Slughorn. @gordonholmes ‘Survivor’ Castaway Shirin – “I
    She nailed it! Basically a good guy, kind of a coward, tries not to take sides for most of fight between the good guys and the bad guys, more interested in saving his own skin but genuinely kind and loving for the most part
    AZChristian likes this.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

Why did you (as an adult) pick up the first Harry Potter book? I saw an interview with J.K.Rowling on The Rosie Show and it piqued my interest.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

From my earlier post . . . in answer to your great question, GabbyG:

I never knew anything about HP (I'd heard about it, but that was it) until the weekend after "Deathly Hallows" came out in hardback. A woman (my age) at Sam's Club was standing in front of the display, clutching a copy of the book as though she was afraid someone would rip it out of arms (in spite of the 200 other copies still on the display). I asked her if the books were any good. She said (aghast), "You've never read Harry Potter?" I told her that I wouldn't even know which one was first in the series.

She pointed out to me that on the spine, the first book says "Year 1" . . . and so on. Included in the display were the earlier books in paperback. I picked up "Philosopher's Stone" . . . figuring that if I didn't love it, I was only out $4.88. The next day was Sunday. I plopped down into my recliner and opened the book. About 30 pages in, I was already hooked. I asked my hubby to go up to Sam's and get me the rest of the books. Read through them all in about 3 weeks (I was working full-time), and immediately turned around and read them all again.
    GabbyG likes this.
    I'm Paula.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos from the studio. We'll be there in less than 3 months, and tickets have already been purchased!

The first time we went to WWoHP in Orlando, I asked the conductor to pose with me so that my HP tattoo showed in the picture. He was SO amused by the tattoo ("Is that REAL?" in a British accent), and we had a great time chatting for a bit.
    That is so cool! I'm going to be at WWoHP in 16 days for a day. I may have to ask about you if the conductor is out when I get to Hogsmeade!

I'm hoping to do the studio tour sometime in the next year or so. It took me a long time to get around to the WWoHP (Disney has its claws in me deep if you can't tell by my avatar), but I've been totally on a HP kick ever since then, watching the movies again and now rereading the series. So the studio tour is next!

My Mom and I did a Stonehenge tour in '09 that included village stops, including the one where they filmed the bit where they go get Slughorn.
    Last edited by jsciv; 05-05-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Love those tattoo pictures! His expression (and yours!) is hilarious. When we went to Florida in 2010 we spent all our time at Disney. It was so expensive to go to WWoHP for one day, almost $500! So we just added another day onto our Disney passes for about $25 per person. Next time though, for sure.
    Honestly, you're better having waited. Hogsmeade is cool, and the Escape From Hogwarts ride is IMO better than the new Gringott's one, but Diagon Alley is AMAZEBALLS! You walk through that wall, and you walk into the movie in a truly magical way. I had a ton of fun watching some "too cool" teens see the alley before them for the first time and break into smiles of wonder: if you at all loved the books or movies, this will make your inner child sing. And the Hogwarts Express (also not there in 2010) is also great. On the one hand it's kind of annoying that they make you buy a park hopper to see all of the WWoHP stuff, but on the other hand, if you're going to do that the Hogwarts Express is the way to do it to make me okay with parting with that money.....
    AZChristian likes this.

I've worked in an elementary school library for the last 25 years. I got my intro to Harry Potter when Scholastic first published "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in 1998. It arrived at my Scholastic book fair in hardcover. One of my new students, who was way more worldly than I, told me I had to get it, that it was the coolest book ever. She was right, of course! I read it and was crazy for the sequel which was to be published within months. By the time the third book came out, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I had discovered how to order books from Amazon and actually purchased a first edition British version on Amazon UK. I have books 3-7 in the British versions for my personal use. I went crazy anticipating the day the books would show up at my door! And my students have loved them ever since - we have the Scholastic versions at school. I now have parents who loved HP when they were children, so it is still lots of fun.

I recently dressed up as Professor McGonagall for a viewing at a restored 1925 theater in Oregon. My daughter dressed as a 5'10" Dobby and her friends all dressed as other key characters from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as that was the movie showing. Little kids freaked out when they saw the giant Dobby! We had a great time. My daughter is 28 and read all the books at the same time as I did starting in 1998. That theater is showing the whole series, encouraging viewers to dress up. It is great fun.
    sweetpea, GabbyG and AZChristian like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm listening to Deathly Hallows (AGAIN) while I do my daily walks. Last night, we were walking down the street and I had my headphones on with tears rolling down my face. Hubby looked at me and said, "Who died?" I said, "Fred."

He knows there are more tears to come . . . on this morning's walk, it was Snape, Lupin and Tonks. More tears. Harry will be headed for the Forbidden Forest soon. Must remember to carry tissues while walking.

On an even geekier note. Several years ago, I actually crocheted a Hogwarts afghan. The stripes are in each house's colors, in the order where the tables were in the Great Hall. Yep. Pretty geeky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sweetpea, GabbyG and spockwhat like this.
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I've worked in an elementary school library for the last 25 years. I got my intro to Harry Potter when Scholastic first published "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in 1998. It arrived at my Scholastic book fair in hardcover. One of my new students, who was way more worldly than I, told me I had to get it, that it was the coolest book ever. She was right, of course! I read it and was crazy for the sequel which was to be published within months. By the time the third book came out, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I had discovered how to order books from Amazon and actually purchased a first edition British version on Amazon UK. I have books 3-7 in the British versions for my personal use. I went crazy anticipating the day the books would show up at my door! And my students have loved them ever since - we have the Scholastic versions at school. I now have parents who loved HP when they were children, so it is still lots of fun.

I recently dressed up as Professor McGonagall for a viewing at a restored 1925 theater in Oregon. My daughter dressed as a 5'10" Dobby and her friends all dressed as other key characters from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as that was the movie showing. Little kids freaked out when they saw the giant Dobby! We had a great time. My daughter is 28 and read all the books at the same time as I did starting in 1998. That theater is showing the whole series, encouraging viewers to dress up. It is great fun.
    Can we see pictures? Please.
    AZChristian likes this.

I'm listening to Deathly Hallows (AGAIN) while I do my daily walks. Last night, we were walking down the street and I had my headphones on with tears rolling down my face. Hubby looked at me and said, "Who died?" I said, "Fred."

He knows there are more tears to come . . . on this morning's walk, it was Snape, Lupin and Tonks. More tears. Harry will be headed for the Forbidden Forest soon. Must remember to carry tissues while walking.

On an even geekier note. Several years ago, I actually crocheted a Hogwarts afghan. The stripes are in each house's colors, in the order where the tables were in the Great Hall. Yep. Pretty geeky.
    I have knit several pairs of HP themed socks.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread