+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Harry Potter Fan Thread

GabbyG likes this.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

FORT Fogey Ms.pacman New Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion awesomekina23's Avatar

Re: Harry Potter Fan Thread

My third grade teacher read us the first book. I then saw Prisoner of Azkaban in the library and read it not realizing it was the third book. Imagine my surprise when I came across the references to Chamber of Secrets! I truly think Harry Potter is the best series ever written. Droves of children and adults alike thought it was Christmas every time a new book came out.

My one disappointment is that Harry and Hermione didn't end up together. I loved the respect they had for each other.
    pikachu likes this.

Oh, my goodness, sweetpea. What an awesome place. Thanks for the golden snitch ready to fly.

OMG...Dumbledore in slumber in his portrait after death. All of it...even the covered bridge that saw so much action in the movies.

Thanks.

I vaguely remember a behind the scenes tv show that featured Tonks. They took us through make-up, props and set design. Fascinating.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have all the books on audio and have listened every year while I mowed the lawns. I also have all the books and all the movies. When the last book came out I was as the grocery store (we don't have a bookstore in town) at midnight to get my copy. At the time, I was 54. I love these stories. I think I may have to start again.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    My third grade teacher read us the first book. I then saw Prisoner of Azkaban in the library and read it not realizing it was the third book. Imagine my surprise when I came across the references to Chamber of Secrets! I truly think Harry Potter is the best series ever written. Droves of children and adults alike thought it was Christmas every time a new book came out.

My one disappointment is that Harry and Hermione didn't end up together. I loved the respect they had for each other.
    I like that Harry ended up with Ginny, he needed a big family.
    Gutmutter likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I like that Harry ended up with Ginny, he needed a big family.
    Me too! And Hermione ended up with that same big family by marrying Ron.

I always wondered -- since Hermione erased herself from her parents memories to go search for the Deathly Hallows, was she able to go back and undo that spell after it was over? I don't think that was ever addressed and it seems a shame for her to have to give up her parents forever, even if it was to save the world.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos from the studio. We'll be there in less than 3 months, and tickets have already been purchased!

The first time we went to WWoHP in Orlando, I asked the conductor to pose with me so that my HP tattoo showed in the picture. He was SO amused by the tattoo ("Is that REAL?" in a British accent), and we had a great time chatting for a bit.

THREE YEARS LATER when we went back, I walked up to that same guy and said, "Can I get another picture with my tattoo?" He broke into a huge grin and said, "I remember you! You had just had that done when you were here before!"

And then another year after that . . . here we go again.

I printed out this picture and gave it to him on the second day of our last trip. Apparently, he showed it to the other guys who do the conductor gig. My nephew was there with his family over Christmas, and I told him to be sure to tell the conductor that his aunt was the crazy old HP tattoo lady. The man he spoke with said, "Well, I'm not the conductor that your aunt knows, but we ALL know who she is!" LOL.

Well, if I'm gonna be famous for something, this is a good thing to be famous for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    Me too! And Hermione ended up with that same big family by marrying Ron.

I always wondered -- since Hermione erased herself from her parents memories to go search for the Deathly Hallows, was she able to go back and undo that spell after it was over? I don't think that was ever addressed and it seems a shame for her to have to give up her parents forever, even if it was to save the world.
    In the book, she tells Harry and Ron that if they defeat Voldemort and there is no danger to them, she can restore their memories. So I bet she did.
    Alexxxx likes this.
    I'm Paula.

Love those tattoo pictures! His expression (and yours!) is hilarious. When we went to Florida in 2010 we spent all our time at Disney. It was so expensive to go to WWoHP for one day, almost $500! So we just added another day onto our Disney passes for about $25 per person. Next time though, for sure.

I read the first book when I was pregnant with my twins, staying for a holiday with my SIL in Arizona. I had already read the book I brought and was antsy because I need a book to read, especially before I fall asleep. She asked if I had read Harry Potter and assured me it was great. I'm a huge kids book lover so "why not?" I remember reading far too late that night, laughing the whole time. I loved it! From then on I was hooked. I've re-read the series several times over the years. My husband bought me book 6 as an anniversary present and then left me alone so I could read it...hahaha. What a darling.

I just wish she could start another series and have it be equally as good, but something tells me nothing will ever be as good as these books. Ariel, I also cry my eyes out in the book and the movie when Harry breathes onto the snitch and says "I am about to die" OR "I am prepared to die" depending on book/movie. He's just so brave and selfless.

My sister also does not read the books or watch the movies, and neither did my nieces or nephews. Their church told them not to. I wanted to argue with her, tell her to make up her own mind but realized that I was fighting a losing battle. The funny thing is, about halfway through the series a local pastor who writes a blog for the newspaper wrote a very articulate defence of the books and the story as one that mirrors much of the bible, actually. Not sure it changed anyone's mind but it was reassuring to know that there are many who can look beyond the idea of "witchcraft" to focus on a story about love, compassion, selflessness, bravery, and friendship.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

I have a book called, "Finding God in Harry Potter." It was written by a father whose wife home-schools their children. They are very religiously conservative, and felt that the parents needed to read the books before giving into the kids' requests to read them.

Reading it for himself convinced the father that there are a lot of people who have refused to read it because they misunderstood how deeply spiritual, moral, and ethical the premise of the stories is. I wish more people had enough sense to do that, rather than blindly following a "leader" who hasn't read it either.
    I'm Paula.

+ Reply to Thread