+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Harry Potter Fan Thread

Re: Harry Potter Fan Thread

MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter SiteThe original fansite set up by two lads in high school. It has morphed and matured over the years.

https://www.pottermore.com/en-us?returnPath=en-us/welcomeThis site seems to have a closer relation to JK Rowling and, in the beginning, was a rival of mugglenet.

jsciv - envy!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

I also have the books in hardback. A college student (ASU) offered his for sale on craigslist several years ago, and my original set (some paperback, some hardback) was falling apart, so I bought the student's set. He actually looked relieved when I assured him they were going to a good home and would be loved.

I also listen to the audiobooks . . . Severe tinnitus makes falling asleep in a quiet room difficult, so I started listening to Jim Dale read the books. So every night, I listen and fall right to sleep. I also listen on long solitary road trips, because it's like hanging out with a friend while I drive.

I'm sure a lot of people roll their eyes at my geekdom, but something cool happened a couple of weeks ago. One of my husband's coworkers recently moved a little farther from the office, and said she was going to start listening to audiobooks to pass the time while she drives. She asked if I could recommend anything. Hell-OOOOOO. Folks, we now have a new member in the Potterhead following. She's been through the first two books (and I loaned her my DVDs, so she's watching the movie after reading each book). Today she starts "PoA." I told her it was one of my favorites.

I'm visiting the movie studio in England in July and also doing a "Muggle Walking Tour." Such a patient man is Mr. AZC.
    I'm Paula.

I think I've told this story before somewhere, but I love it. When my daughter and her now husband had been together 7 years, he got her a hard-cover set of the books for Valentine's Day. In the front of each book he put a picture of them and a written account of the highlights of that corresponding year. Do I need to mention she's a huge fan of the books? Her copies were all worn.
    When I was reading the last book, my son had gotten behind and was reading the 6th book. He was adamant that nobody spoil him about anything. When Dobby died I had tears streaming down my face and it drove him crazy not knowing what I was reading.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter SiteThe original fansite set up by two lads in high school. It has morphed and matured over the years.

https://www.pottermore.com/en-us?returnPath=en-us/welcomeThis site seems to have a closer relation to JK Rowling and, in the beginning, was a rival of mugglenet.

jsciv - envy!
    Pottermore is JK Rowling's site.
    I'be been to the movie studio tour in the UK. I would love to go to the theme park in Florida but I'm not sure if it gets too busy? Not one for the huge crowds.
    I think I started reading around the release of book three. Goblet of Fire is probably my favourite book, though I did like the set-up of the magical world in the first book.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

My, at the time, barely grown daughter got hooked on them first. She kept talking about them & told me to read them - that I'd love them. My answer "Yeah, maybe one of these days." Then when the 1st movie was on TV, I thought "what the heck" & watched it. I got hooked immediately& told her. She immediately went out & ordered the book set on Amazon, as far as they were at the time, and had them sent to me.

I read them straight through until I had no more books. As the others came out, I ordered them immediately & kept my previous books right there at hand to reread things that were referred to in subsequent books. And I watched every movie as it came out. I believe, at least, the last 4 movies I saw with her, even though we live in different states. We'd sit around afterwards & talk about each one & the differences between the books & the movies. Some of those differences had us quite angry ("That's NOT how it happened!!!!!" "WHY did they do it that way????") We were adamant book fanatics.

Every so often a question about the Potter saga comes up & I immediately get out my books to look it up. I know exactly which book to go to & roughly where in the book to find it.

My hardest death to take was Dobby. I wasn't expecting that one at all & still tear up thinking about it.

Some day I hope to go to Universal Studios Park. They'll probably think I'm nuts, at my age, giggling & shrieking & jumping up and down, like a 10 year old.

Yeah, I'm a Potter Nerd. And proud of it!
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I'm currently reading her book, The Casual Vacancy. Nothing like Potter, of course, but I'm enjoying it.
    Count your blessings!

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Just don't go to WWoHP during school vacation times. And be sure to do the Hogwarts Express (the real train) early in the morning. That line DOES back up.

Best amusement park ride ever is The Forbidden Journey. Quidditch, dragons, dementors . . . what more could you want. And if you go to the park, DO be sure to go into Ollivanders (there's one in Hogsmeade and one in Diagon Alley) and watch a wand ceremony. It's all kinds of awesome for geeks. And if you're lucky, you might get picked as the person who gets to have a wand choose them.

I'm so well known at the park (been there 3 times) because of my HP tattoo, that the conductor of the Hogwarts Express and I have a wonderful time renewing our acquaintance every time I go. Toying with the idea of going back in December for my birthday. :-)

And when you see 12 Grimmauld Place outside of Diagon Alley, watch for Kreacher in the second-floor window.
    GabbyG likes this.
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Some day I hope to go to Universal Studios Park. They'll probably think I'm nuts, at my age, giggling & shrieking & jumping up and down, like a 10 year old.
    They won't think that at all. There are plenty of us big kids wandering around without children there. Yes (to the other post), it can get crowded, but really isn't Diagon Alley supposed to be that way?

I even bought an interactive wand and was waiting with the other kids (big and small) to cast spells at the spots all over the area where stuff happens!
    GabbyG and AZChristian like this.

Some photos from when we were at the Harry Potter Studio Tour outside London in 2013.

9481845075_b647161ee0_z.jpg

9484651856_1537b6781b_z.jpg

9482782550_8911661347_z.jpg

9482752346_6cf228596e_z.jpg

9484628722_a1641c3da2_z.jpg
    GabbyG, spockwhat and AZChristian like this.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

AZChristian likes this.
    "I suck at life" ~Dan

+ Reply to Thread