+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Meaning of It All and other Philosophical Questions

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The Meaning of It All and other Philosophical Questions

I think about life and death a lot, trying to figure out the purpose of life in general and the role each person plays in it. I'm not even sure of the basic purpose of life, or if there is one. Are we meant to live our life for ourself, experiencing everything we can and developing our own unique abilities, having our own unique experiences, or is it more important that we contribute to the base of knowledge as a whole, regardless of whether we're noticed individually.

I guess what I'm saying is it more important to discover the wheel for ourselves or should we start from the discovery of the wheel and add to that knowledge so the next generation can take up from where we left off?

I often think about people who died young and experienced a life more full than most people who lived a longer life, like Gia Carangi or Selena Quintanella. What was the purpose of their short lives? If they had lived longer, would the rest of their lives have been as extraordinary as the beginning of their lives or would they have faded away into obscurity over time and become little more than a footnote in history? Perhaps their lives had such impact because they were so abrupt.

I wonder what it's like to learn that your life is destined to be a cautionary tale. Perhaps if you were a member of the Donner Party or Yelena Mukhina (the gymnast who became a quadriplegic after attempting a dangerous tumbling move), you wouldn't realize that you were going to end up a figure in infamy until that tragic moment came and then, how do you come to grips with that? How often must they have asked wished they could undo what happened? How many times must they have thought "what if" and wondered how undoing one moment in time might have changed their outcome? How did they come to accept what couldn't be changed, or what if they never really did?

Anyway, I thought this topic was important enough to deserve a thread of its own. I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts on it and I'm sure I'll be adding more of my own thoughts as I puzzle over these complicated matters.
    Kip and JosephD like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Re: The Meaning of It All and other Philosophical Questions

Hi Pikachu, Iím sure you knew I would chime in on this one. ;^)

Lifeís big questions started to come together for me after I started working with remote animal communicators in 2008. To have five people who donít know each other all give me the same feedback on my cats, accurately describing TJ and Doraís very different personalities, itís hard to ignore. When a communicator accurately describes internal physical ailments (what turned out to be liver cancer) and accurately identifies which teeth are bothersome and need to be extracted, etc., itís hard for me to ignore. When a communicator discusses behavioral issues with TJ and they stop immediately, itís hard for me to ignore. So when those conversations extend into more spiritual areas and Iím still getting the same information from more than one communicator (like exactly how TJ and Dora spend their time with my late husband when Iím at work), itís hard to ignore that too. It has also taken away fear of the transition. Here is some of what Iíve learnedÖ

Weíre here to grow spiritually, over a series of reincarnations. But spiritual growth may not be sequential Ė we may be more spiritually aware in earlier lifetimes than we are now because there is a different lesson we needed to learn this time. At some point we can elect not to come back (if we donít mess up as angels). I guess what is out there for us might be considered heaven. I havenít heard any indication of any hell after we die, and no sign that there's nothing out there. We tend to travel in packs as souls (soulmates), but may not always be on friendly terms (karma issues). Weíre not limited to always being human or our pets to having always been animals. TJ and Dora are part of my longtime spiritual family. I would say in this lifetime that TJ and Dora are more spiritually aware than I am, and thatís rather humbling. We have personal choice but a lot does happen for a reason. So someone may die because they completed what they set out to do in that lifetime, or their life may have been taken by a tragic event. We do have angels watching over us, and we can seek their help, but they donít get involved in matters like manipulating the outcome of sporting events.

So I'd say we're mostly here to learn, but also to love and care for each other.
    Punkin, pikachu, famita and 2 others like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think what you have to say is fascinating, Brooks! I have to say I'm not religious at all but I do have a strong sense of spirtuality. I don't necessarily feel that there's a higher being that makes things happen but I do think there's some over-arching order in the universe, a pattern that can't necessarily change but that can be influenced to some extent. The more in touch we are with that order, the more we can make positive things happen for us and deflect the negative.
    Punkin and Jax like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Wow, Brooks, wonderful deep thoughts. I used to think I had answers, but after losing my sister in Nov am completely adrift. Great topic, Pik!

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think what you have to say is fascinating, Brooks! I have to say I'm not religious at all but I do have a strong sense of spirtuality. I don't necessarily feel that there's a higher being that makes things happen but I do think there's some over-arching order in the universe, a pattern that can't necessarily change but that can be influenced to some extent. The more in touch we are with that order, the more we can make positive things happen for us and deflect the negative.
    Now that was well said and I would say that is pretty much how I think also.

I think we're being tested all the time. And not to sound too boastful, but I think I just passed one of those test.

It's interesting that I decided to click on this thread after just coming back from the library. I had to get there before they closed at 6:00, so I was in a rush. I finished what I came for and went back to my car intending to leave but right as I was about to open my car door, I noticed an iPhone laying on the pavement half sticking out of the snow. Mind you, it's 4 degrees here and since I was in a rush to get to the library before they closed, I forgot to grab my gloves, scarf, hat -- I was freezing!

I thought about leaving the phone on the ground but then I also started think about what if it was MY phone laying there, and someone just left it? Surely a car would drive over it or some kid would find it and keep it. Then I started thinking about the owner of the phone,.... how they probably have all their friends and family information on the phone... how frantic they're going to be when they realize that they lost it. Long story short, my conscience got the better of me.

I picked up the phone, made that slippery slow hike back through the icy parking lot and into the library and turned it in at the front desk because that's what I would hope someone would do if it was my phone that was dropped.

So at least for today, I think I pleased the angels above watching over me.

--------------------

I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation, but I do believe in God. And I do believe that God (or a higher power, or whatever you prefer to call it) puts us through a series of test.
    Punkin, pikachu, Brooks and 2 others like this.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

After the horrible day we went through when my daughter lost her phone New Year's Eve, I thank you on behalf of the family and friends of the phone's owner. You did the right thing.
    Cootie and JosephD like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    After the horrible day we went through when my daughter lost her phone New Year's Eve, I thank you on behalf of the family and friends of the phone's owner. You did the right thing.
    Thanks, Gutmutter. I've never had to deal with that situation myself, but I can only imagine what a headache it would be to have to cancel your service or what all a person would have to do if they ever lost their phone. Not to mention all the personal pictures, addresses and so forth, and wondering whose hands that information might have fallen into.

Good job, JD! Last time we were in New Orleans we were visiting the famous "Tabasco" factory on Avery Island and when I stepped from the car I found a cell phone. I went through the call list and found "Mom" and dialed it. I explained where I was and what I had found and she called her son's wife. They had just taken out-of-town friends to visit the factory where we were and were driving home when she reached them and sent them turning around back to the factory to retrieve the lost phone. He was beyond himself happy because it was loaded with business contacts he'd have a hard time recreating. These are opportunities to build up good Karmic points and we all need them! Cha-ching!

I believe there is one God and we haven't a clue what the nature of that entity or existence is. The fact that there are so many religions and so many believers gives truth to the fact that there is some guiding force and we all gravitate towards something greater than ourselves. I believe each of us has a soul that incarnates over and over on this and other planes while we try to learn to perfect our souls to a point of 'godliness' as the end goal. I am not afraid of death as an ending, but as a return to home base. I know I'll see my sister, Jan, again and I can't wait. I hope all my cats are there too!
    Brooks and JosephD like this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

Punkin, I agree with your spiritual assessment,.... well,.... all except the "I am not afraid of death" part. As for the phone, maybe it was just the bitter cold temperature, but I never even thought to see if I could turn it on and scroll through the call list. My own phone is password protected, so I just assumed that one would be too.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast