+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Kip
  • 1 Post By Debb70
  • 3 Post By tealtacos

Thread: Possible Part Time Work?

FORT Newbie

Possible Part Time Work?

I am thinking of working part time by offering freelance IT services. Don't companies have their own IT teams? Is this worth doing, you think?

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Possible Part Time Work?

You could make up nice flyers (real and virtual) and market your services to small businesses. Also, consider putting up flyers on bulletin boards at senior adult communities. There are lots of folks there who can do minimal online stuff (e-mail, internet), but don't know how to fix things when they go flooey . . . or if they buy new equipment, they don't know how to set it up.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I've hired IT people off Craigslist before to do jobs. I was very happy with the ones I used (I've used a couple because we have both PCs and Macs, and I've hired people over several years).

In a CL ad or flyer, list the types of things you can do, bullet-point style. Those are the features of what you're offering.

But benefits are what motivates people to buy. Benefits of your services might be greater productivity, less stress, freedom from worry about identity theft, etc.

Having a testimonial or two will really increase the pull of your ad because it will give people confidence in you. Ask some people you've worked with with write a short 2-3 sentence testimonial about the job you did for them.

I used to be responsible for getting testimonials for the back of book jackets. People would say they would give one, but then they don't get around to it or don't know what to say. So I'd write up a couple of testimonials for them and tell them they could write their own or they could feel free to modify one of the examples I had written. Nine times out of ten, they'd just tell me to use one I had written without making any modifications. For ads, I'd tell people I will just use their initials after the testimonial, not their full name. So write some sample testimonials for yourself.
    Brooks, AZChristian and tealtacos like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Another thought: As a consultant, one thing you might be able to offer that larger companies don't is being available on nights and weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by tealtacos View Post
    I am thinking of working part time by offering freelance IT services. Don't companies have their own IT teams? Is this worth doing, you think?
    The ones that I know are very busy indeed. Small businesses often don't have in house IT people. I might make myself known in the legal community. Some counties have their local groups like the Criminal Defense Bar, that if you get work with some of their attorneys, they would refer you to other attorneys in their area. Some have monthly meetings at public places where you might go with your business cards and let them know what your services are.

If you could get in contact and become friendly with a paralegal association that might help too. The paralegals run the offices and they can recommend your services if the office needs assistance. Large IT providers are always too busy and pricey. You might be able to fill a niche.

I know that an IT person I used a couple of times had regular clients consisting of medical and dental offices. It kept him very busy. He didn't have time for small jobs. If you could find someone who could refer their overload, that would be nice.

You might also check with computer rental companies. Some of them have IT support, but some don't and they may refer clients to you when they call and need help.

Once your name gets out with a couple of clients, they should refer you to others.

You might also go to Professional Business Suites where professionals lease office space. They may be willing to hand your business cards out to their residents.

Good luck with your endeavor. I would think having those skills would be very productive in your part time job venture.
    Kip likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I've hired IT people off Craigslist before to do jobs. I was very happy with the ones I used (I've used a couple because we have both PCs and Macs, and I've hired people over several years).
    I'm curious about what you said. Did you ever hire the same person twice? What do you look for so that you will want repeat service from a technician. Thanks.

FORT Newbie

Thank you for your inputs. It looks like a very promising part time job - sort of like parachutetechs - but for small businesses. I worked with this small / specialty grocery a few months back because keep going offline and when it happens, they get a long line processing their remittances (they do this on the side - or maybe the grocery is one the side - not sure). Anyway, the guy who owns the place keeps saying that he set up the connections and the networks himself, but he just can't figure out what went wrong. Anyway, long story short, I have 1 client and I am hoping this will be the start of it.
    Punkin, Kip and Debb70 like this.

GREAT! I would be careful to take it slowly at first and see how much volume you want. It seems that many take on too much and can't meet the demand. I would be surprised if you don't have yourself a nice side business soon. You might have to hire employees to meet the demand. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread