+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Where Are You From

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Where Are You From

I thought it would be interesting to know where everyone's posting from and where they're originally from, if it's different from their present location.

I was born in Tallahassee, Florida and have lived in other areas (Davenport, Iowa; Naples, Florida; Orlando, Florida) but I ended up back where I started. No place else feels like home to me.

So, where're you from, you sexy thing?
    Current Pools: Face Off 8, Survivor 30, Amazing Race 26
    Other Games: FoRT Yearbook

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Where Are You From

I was born and raised in Baltimore, MD. I now happily live in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ. We call it the last step before the Promised Land, 'cause that's the only place I'll love more than this.
    pikachu and Cornholio like this.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I was born in Baltimore,MD and still reside here at this time, but little does AZ Christian know I will soon be locating to the desert land of Arizona I have had enough of this frigid weather
    Punkin, Ellen, pikachu and 3 others like this.
    “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”- Albert Camus

Punkin

Born and raised in San Francisco. For the last 40 years I have lived in Daly City, the town that borders SF on it's southern border. It's the northernmost, and largest, town in San Mateo County where you'll find Silicone Valley. And unlike San Francisco, we have parking!

My house is just on the north border of Colma, San Francisco's cemetery city. Colma's live population is a small fraction of the dead numbers. At the turn of the last century (c. 1910) The City started running out of burial places so Churches and other groups bought up plots of formerly agricultural land in Colma. We have Catholic, Italian, Jewish, Serbian, Korean, Croatian, Japanese, Chinese, Non-Denominational, and Pet cemeteries, about 16 in all. Colma's motto: "It's great to be alive in Colma!." It's interesting to wander through the older areas of the cemeteries and read the tombstones. I once found Wyatt Earp's! But we often get held up in traffic by long funeral processions.

I was surprised to see so many cemeteries within the city borders of New Orleans and Maui. I always just assumed all cities planted their dear departed outside of the city.

I lived in/around Milwaukee, Wisconsin (eight years of which was in its suburb Oak Creek, when my parents joined the "white flight" in the late 1960s ... ugghhh! ... moved back to Milwaukee ASAP as soon as I started university) for the first half of my life.

About 28 years ago, I moved to San Diego. Almost no regrets — though it's a little too conservative for me. If hubby and I could find a way (jobs for folks in their 50s/60s) to move to the San Francisco area, we'd do so in a heartbeat. Or Maui.)

Given that that's a longshot, we love where we are in San Diego. We make it work.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I was born and raised in Roanoke, Va...its in SW Va along the I81 corridor and Blue Ridge Mountains. I lived in or around Roanoke all my life, going to college about an hour away in the boonies of Franklin County (made popular by the not too recent movie Lawless about moonshining). Now I live in the city of Salem which is right next to Roanoke. I have visited many places...and came real close to moving to San Diego once, but family matters kept me here. Roanoke is probably most well known for being called the Star City of the South, there is a HUGE neon star on one of the mountains that also has an overlook of the city.
    Roanoke, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Roanoke_star.jpg/640px-Roanoke_star.jpg
    and please don't confuse us for the lost colony of Roanoke. That is in NC, we are at the other end of the Roanoke River
    Punkin, pikachu and MReid like this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I was born in Simcoe Ontario, Canada and now live in Woodstock Ontario, Canada.
    Punkin, cablejockey and pikachu like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I feel like I should give more of a backstory since some of you have.

Both of my parents were born and raised in Iowa, that's how I ended up going to kindergarten in Iowa. I never did ask them why they chose to move to Tallahassee instead of staying in Iowa. My dad's parents and brothers also moved to Florida but they were in the Clearwater area. After my dad's parents died, my uncles moved to Tallahassee, too. Two of them still live here but one has relocated to Cape Coral.

I'll definitely ask my dad about it the next time I see him! I know he went to law school at Florida State University but I wouldn't think that's the reason he relocated to Tallahassee.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 8, Survivor 30, Amazing Race 26
    Other Games: FoRT Yearbook

I'm from Ohio, college in AZ, and now live in Mass. (I'd abbreviate to MA, but some people think that's Maine). I could see myself living somewhere else if the wheel of fortune were to spin me around. I've been to Africa, South America, and around Europe and love to learn about other ways of life.
    Punkin, pikachu and AmyKay like this.
    Count your blessings!

Punkin

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I never did ask them why they chose to move to Tallahassee instead of staying in Iowa.
    My guess..... SNOW!
    pikachu likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast