+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Job Offer with Relocation

FORT Newbie

Job Offer with Relocation

I recently got a job offer and this requires me to move to Oregon. The offer is good but I am quite hesitant because of relocating. Is there anyone of you who can give me any idea anything about living Oregon specifically in Portland?
    candor likes this.

Re: Job Offer with Relocation

Hi tealtacos
    I lived in Portland off and on for 20 years. There's only one town I love better (and I'm there now). It's a nearly perfect city -- lots of cute neighborhoods, a river running through it, reasonable housing prices, no sales tax, great food and music scene, super interesting people. You can't pump your own gas and you have to buy hard liquor from a liquor store because it can't be sold in grocery stores. Also, lots of rain and really bad traffic. The TV show "Portlandia" is a farce, of course, but also kind of true.
    Leftcoaster and Cootie like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by tealtacos View Post
    I recently got a job offer and this requires me to move to Oregon. The offer is good but I am quite hesitant because of relocating. Is there anyone of you who can give me any idea anything about living Oregon specifically in Portland?
    I'm from Oregon, too. My son lives in Portland and I spend as much time as I can there. It has a great urban atmosphere, but if you like outdoor activities like hiking, camping, boating, biking, skiing, surfing, etc, those activities are either right in the city or a drive to the coast or to the mountains that aren't too far away. There are city parks in neighborhoods all over the city. I belong to the Portland Art Museum and there are great book stores, farmers markets and lots of good local food. Clean air and water, too. The price to register your car is much cheaper than California (I'm not sure where you live) and gas and housing are cheaper that most places in California, but Portland is one of the more expensive for rent in comparison to the small town I live in.

I live in Washington, which is only a couple hours from Portland. Portland is a great place to live.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm surprised at how many jobs these days require people to move. With today's technology, theoretically you could work anywhere from where you live. Depending on the job, of course. You can make phone calls, do teleconferencing, write reports, etc from anywhere but if you physically have to be at the location, like for construction, that's a different matter.

Good luck with your decision, tealtacos! They must really want you if they're willing to relocate you instead of hiring someone locally so if I were you, I would go for it! Unless you would prefer to stay close to family in your own area.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Oregon and Washington are breathtakingly beautiful and GREEN! I don't know where you are relocating from, but you can't go wrong with Oregon! It's California, but without all the nonsense and people.
    Ellen, Cootie, AZChristian and 1 others like this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

If, for some reason, I'd have to move from San Diego, choice #1 is San Francisco. Portland, OR, is a very close #2.
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Hi tealtacos- congrats on the job offer!!

It sounds exciting to me! I've always dreamed of the west coast.

Would the move be temporary? If the job was really enticing, I would probably take it. I would imagine it would be difficult to be away from family though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If, for some reason, I'd have to move from San Diego, choice #1 is San Francisco. Portland, OR, is a very close #2.
    I love SF, but I could only move there if I had A LOT of money. That means I'd have a parking place or a garage. Parking in the city is SO bad. I just couldn't deal with traffic and then fight to find a parking place once I got home. I spend a lot of time in SF, but I don't think I could live there, unless I had a MUCH smaller car! Maybe a SmartCar....

My #1 and #2 are probably Portland and Seattle.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-12-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Punkin and Cootie like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast