+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What standout gifts did you receive this year? Best, worse, strangist, etc.

What standout gifts did you receive this year? Best, worse, strangist, etc.

Tell us about a gift or gifts that stood out for you this year. Maybe a super wonderful gift or perhaps a weird useless gift or a gift you would like to send to your worst enemy.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Re: What standout gifts did you receive this year? Best, worse, strangist, etc.

I have a blender. A very old blender. It's so old it's Harvest Gold. Remember them? When my adult grandson moved in with me he asked to use a blender. After much searching I found it and he has used it a few times. It seemed to work OK. So, what did he give me for Christmas? A new blender, that's what . I wonder if he will ask to "borrow" it when he moves out!

On the other hand, my daughter bought me a new front door lock set (my old one was not working properly) and she installed it for me!
    Punkin and Miss Scarlet like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I have a blender. A very old blender. It's so old it's Harvest Gold. Remember them? When my adult grandson moved in with me he asked to use a blender. After much searching I found it and he has used it a few times. It seemed to work OK. So, what did he give me for Christmas? A new blender, that's what . I wonder if he will ask to "borrow" it when he moves out!

On the other hand, my daughter bought me a new front door lock set (my old one was not working properly) and she installed it for me!
    I loved this.
    My old blender is Olive Green with Panelling accents. I think we probably got them around the same time. The darned old thing still works pretty well, although VERY old fashioned. It doesn't like ice cubes or anything frozen. I haven't even attempted anything hard like veggies. It probably would have had a heart attack & died.
    I've been into healthy smoothies lately, so I bought myself a dandy new one on Black Friday.
    Now we can blend stylishly & modernly.
    Photobabe likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

My very best gift was my grandson coming home for Christmas! He's been in Dallas since March and, except for a brief weekend visit to surprise me for my birthday in May, I've missed him terribly! He brought his Texas girlfriend home with him and she is beautiful and charming. While home, he told his mom, "I'm a Bay Area guy and I will always be a Bay Area guy! And when I get married and have kids I will be in the Bay Area!" Best gift or all of us who love him! We've worried that some Texas cutie might steal him away from us, but he intends to only work in Texas two years and then transfer home.

DH and I are giving ourselves a new gas range for Christmas after the holidays. First I need to find a charity to pick up our perfectly good and operational (but 13 year old) stove to be sure it gets to someone who can use it instead of ending up in a landfill, as I suspect it will if I let Sears take it when they deliver the new one.

Good luck with that stove Punkin. Someone could really use a working stove. I have my theory about older appliances. They are often better than a new model. I hate to let go, because they are often more reliable, IMO. Good luck getting a charity that will pick up.

I didn't get any odd gifts. I loved everything. The most unusual gift was a pair of holly earrings with berries. They are very cute.
    Punkin likes this.

I got very thoughtful and sweet gifts. Nothing "big" which is fine by me as we are trying to focus on remodeling, saving for a car, etc. The most surprising gifts were from Mr. C who went to a store and smelled candles for the best scents (he bought two) and he gave me chocolate and lotion that he knew I liked. These are gifts my daughter or girlfriends would normally give me that I love. He's been paying attention - I love that. He's come a long way over the years and used to be totally uncomfortable buying me gifts unless I hinted as to what to give. After 38 years together, he should have some ideas. Our daughter and I got a kick out of the idea of him going out to buy candles for me.

Ah, Cootie, that's so romantic. I love a nice candle with just the right fragrance. It's so therapeutic.
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I got very thoughtful and sweet gifts. Nothing "big" which is fine by me as we are trying to focus on remodeling, saving for a car, etc. The most surprising gifts were from Mr. C who went to a store and smelled candles for the best scents (he bought two) and he gave me chocolate and lotion that he knew I liked. These are gifts my daughter or girlfriends would normally give me that I love. He's been paying attention - I love that. He's come a long way over the years and used to be totally uncomfortable buying me gifts unless I hinted as to what to give. After 38 years together, he should have some ideas. Our daughter and I got a kick out of the idea of him going out to buy candles for me.
    I love to get gifts like that. The fact that they took the time to notice what you like or need and then spend the time to shop. Those are gifts from the heart.
    Cootie likes this.

I already wrote about mine in the "Good News" thread - a little book called What I Love About my Mom... with 50 prompts and all 3 kids answered each one. Very, very heartfelt and touching. I will always treasure it.
    Critical and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Count your blessings!

My unusual was a black cat statue. What is unusual is its position. The base is not the lowest part. The cat is sitting (that's the base), but it's leaning far forward and down, peering at whatever is below it. I presently have it at the edge of the mantelpiece. Initially it was on the edge of the piano where my cats like to hang out. The cat is almost their size and they've found it rather disturbing, LOL.

The best present was an invite to Christmas dinner since this is my first Christmas alone in quite a while. I would have been ok but this was really lovely. The kids in the family are now young adults. They have grown up so finely and their significant others are a delight as well. We played Apples to Apples far into the evening (someone here posted about it a week or so ago). I wasn't familiar with it so I just watched for a while, then joined in and won!
    Gutmutter and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast