+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Drivers >:(

Standard = manual transmission?

I started driving extremely young (I was always tall for my age), and also grew up with an assortment of motorized playthings (motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc). Driving was no problem. My stepdad is a motorcycle racer in his spare time, and teaches other racers how to ride. I grew up with fast cars and a "teacher" who knew how to handle them. I still remember the day my dad taught me how to put the car into a controlled power-slide. Ah, 16...

I need to learn that John.

Yes, standard = manual Trans
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It was kind of funny - my driving instructors were teaching me how to drive, and my stepdad was teaching me the fastest way to take corners, by braking at the right time and sliding the arse end around a little.

I completely agree about learning how to drive on a standard. My parents insisted that I do this, and even though I resisted at the time, I've always been so glad I know how to do it. Their rationale was "if you learn how to do it right off the bat, you'll always know it and you'll be able to drive anything in any situation." Granted, so far I haven't needed to drive a tractor in order to escape a raving madman, but you never know...

My biggest pet peeve are the people who don't know the difference between "merge" and "yield". If it says "yield", then *I* have the right of way, pal. I've had several close calls because of this.

ajg, the yielding thing is a big pet peeve of mine also! Another one is people getting of the highway from the far left lane. What's up with that? Can't you people slow down for one second instead of cutting me and others off?! Ahhh!
    Who shot who in the what now?

I feel for ya, greenflute. I was in Boston last year for a job interview, and the biggest impression I came away from the city with was "Holy God. How do those people DRIVE in that mess every day???" I was honestly afraid for my life there. I would have expected Chicago to be worse, but it's not even close.

It was all worth it, though. I saw the world's funniest road sign EVER on a Boston highway. I managed to take a picture of it (there was a big snowstorm, and it was stop and go traffic. Mostly stop), and that pic is now one of my most prized possessions. I'd post it in here, but I'd be breaking all the PG-13 rules. Suffice it to say, it was friggin' hilarious.

Oh no! You can't tease us like that! I must see what the sign says.

We like to not have any street signs around here. I don't know why, but I think we like to make sure non-locals get lost.

And if we do have signs, it's after the fact like "Hey you just missed the exit for 95, dumbass".
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'll PM ya the link for it

OK, curious. Please pm me the link My imagination is running rampant... not always a good thing
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I love it. Now I'm just worried that it really isn't all that funny, and I'm just the one sick freak in all the land who took it out of context.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast