+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ***Ok, I need your help, people*****

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair

***Ok, I need your help, people*****

My daughter (known as madbananna around here) has had a high fever since Wednesday night.

I took her to the doctor Thursday (because the fever came on so suddenly, and she had other symptoms of west nile), but the doc did nothing .. not even a blood test

I took her back on Friday, because she was no better and now had developed a dry hacking cough. Doc sends her for blood tests and gives her amoxicillian.

--- Mono tests showed negative, her white cell count was within normal range and that were the only test results we were given (they did those while we waited.

Now it is Sunday, the child has had this fever (which has dipped below 39 only twice (once on Thursday morn when we were at the docs, and this morning for a few hours) since Wednesday.. it has been ranging from 39 - 40.2 (102.2 - 104.4). Her cough has gotten progressivly worse, but still is just a dry hacking cough.

Here is where I ask for help.

Have any of you had pneumonia?? I am wondering if this is what the child is heading towards. Also, have any of you had a high fever that lasted this long??
    PS> I have been giving her tylenol cough around the clock, every 4 hours.

thanks for all input.

Rox.

I don't know Rox. I have never had a fever last that long, nor have my children.

I hope you find the answers you need soon though. High fevers are not cool.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Rox
    Thats the thing, Cali... neither have I EXCEPT when I had mono.. but I don't remember it being that high.

I am concerned.. normally I am not too, kids get better, you know? but this time I am a bit worried.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Rox, my dad had pneumonia a couple summers ago, and it was accompanied by a non-stop fever. Maybe you could bring her to a local hospital instead of the doctors? That's just my suggestion, I really don't know, but I'll definitely keep you and madbanana in my thoughts.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Rox
    Yes, I think that is what we are going to do this aft/evening. Poor kid is getting so run down..

thanks.

My understanding of pneumonia is that it feels like you got kicked in the ribs. But I'm no doctor.

From [url=http://my.webmd.com/content/article/8/1680_54544.htm?lastselectedgui d={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}]WebMD[/url

What Are the Symptoms?

Viral pneumonia usually comes with a combination of low fever and chills, muscle aches, fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes in the neck, chest pain, sore throat, and coughing. The cough generally brings up only a small amount of mucus.
    Bacterial pneumonia usually comes with a combination of high fever, cough with thick greenish or rust-colored mucus, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, sharp chest pain that is worse with deep breaths, abdominal pain, and severe fatigue. There can be profuse sweating and mental confusion.
    In children, labored and rapid breathing (more than 45 breaths a minute); sudden onset of fever; cough; wheezing; and bluish skin, lips, or fingertips are general signs of pneumonia.
    Mycoplasma pneumonia is often very benign and resolves without any treatment. Symptoms can consist of violent attacks of coughing that bring up only a small amount of mucus. There are chills and fever; some people get nausea or vomiting. Some patients become very weak for up to a month.

below is a link from webMD again... it asks questions about your (her) other symptoms... you may want to check it out

click HERE

Rox
    Thanks so much, Cali.

She does not want to go to the ER tonight, so I have agreed to wait until morning (unless she gets worse)

I'll keep you updated.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I have had pneumonia lots of times , (bad lungs) One of the big indicators for me is the feeling like someone is sitting on my chest ,and the inability to take a deep breath even when you try.
    It's nothing to fool around with, and if she does have it the sooner you get antibiotics , the sooner she will start to fight it off.
    Not to scare, but I've had the "even in this day and age pneumonia kills" lecture given to me lots of times, because I'm always so long going in...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast