+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ***Ok, I need your help, people*****

Leo
    Premium Member
    I can't give any medical advice at all, but I hope she gets well soon enough.

Each of my children have had prolonged fever at one time or another. Our doctor told us to give them tylenol then three hours later give advil. I did that for three days with my son. He had a fever for 3 days before that. Keep in mind my kids are 5 and 3. Dosages are so different for all ages. Your best bet is to get a second opinion. I would go to the ER. Keeping her hydrated and cool is so important. I know she will probably want to be under a huge comforter, but a light sheet is better at keeping her body temp low. If she has chills, that means that her body is trying to cool down more. Light clothing is a must. A tepid bath will releave that boiling brain feeling. If her eyes are red or her fingers have that pruney look then she needs more fluids. Gatoraide, water, popcicles all help. Soup is a great hydrater. Be careful about juices ans sodas(anything with a lot of sugar). They can induce diarhea and that will further dehydrate her. I can not think of anything else. I hope she is feeling well soon. You just have to get that temp down.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Rox, it sounds strange, but that is really close to what my daughter and I got when we vacationed in Fla. last month. It felt like it lasted forever, me-5days, my daughter-4days. The dr. told us that it was strept/ear/allergy infection. amoxicillan worked in 3 days for each. Hope she feels better after the doctor visit.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

My son, who is almost three, has been hospitalized every winter with pneumonia (twice bacterial, once viral). In all three cases, his cough has been really deep and wet, and he's had obvious trouble breathing. Your doctor should be clipping a little thingy on her finger to measure the oxygen in her blood when you go to visit. That is really important to know if it is pneumonia. If it's bacterial, it should respond fairly quickly to antibiotics (if they gave her amoxicillan, it might not work though. That antibiotic is pretty weak and over used, so a lot of strains of bacteria are immune to it--with a fever that high and long they should be giving her a strong antibiotic, either through IV or injections). If it's viral, pretty much all they can do is monitor her and give her oxygen and fluids.

Hopefully, she's better by now and this is all unnecessary. I know how hard it is for moms to suffer and worry through an illness. I hope you're both feeling well now.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Re: ***Ok, I need your help, people*****

Originally posted by Rox
    Doc sends her for blood tests and gives her amoxicillian.
    Her cough has gotten progressivly worse, but still is just a dry hacking cough.
    Have any of you had pneumonia?? I am wondering if this is what the child is heading towards. Also, have any of you had a high fever that lasted this long??
    PS> I have been giving her tylenol cough around the clock, every 4 hours.
    I had pneumonia and bronchitis myself mostly when I was a child/teenager (I used to ignore cold rain/snow and go out with only a t-shirt on.)
    My suggestions:
    Doctor's advice should have highest priority, so the amoxicillian should be taken on time and normally the whole bottle should be finished. The antibiotics is great against bacterial infections but is only marginally helpful against viral infections. Tylenol and cough serum might alleviate symptons but are useless as a cure. Regardless of the medicine, the child should help build up her body's own immune system. So:
    (1) get plenty of sleep and rest.
    (2) drink plenty of liquid.
    (3) eat chicken soup, which helps clear the flam from the throat and has proven to boost the immune system.
    (4) Vitamin C (e.g. 250 mg tablets / oranges/ orange juice) help boost the immune system even more, especially in the longer term.
    (5) Echinacea (especially in droplets form) is most powerful in boosting the immune system, but overuseage in the long term may cause allergy. And it may conflict with other medication so should consult doctor to be safe.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    HIYA! all

Thanks for all your great advice.. this place is great.

I passed on your warm wishes to MB, she says hi

Well, I took her back to the ER this morning, they did more blood tests, a whooping cough test.
    We were then sent to the clinic. The doc we saw this time was @ the fact an X-ray had not been taken already. He (and his trusty intern) said the lungs sounded 'not bad' but they could hear fluid. So back to the hospital for an X-ray.. doc says he will phone with results.

Oh, and doc switched her to a different anti-biotic, Zithromax.

I will let you know of any updates.

Rox
    I forgot to mention.. cause some were wondering.. D is 13

Rox
    He just phoned and she does infact have pneumonia.

Damn doctors (took 4 trips to even get a damn frikin X-ray)

Anyway, she is on the right meds, he said, she just needs an increased dose.. so is giving her more, and she needs a return trip to doc next Monday.

You know what I did wrong????? I took her too the doctor too soon.. I knew she was sick, but should have waited until she was at deaths door. Thats what you get with free health care :rolleyes
    Oh, and I kept my mouth shut.. I should have DEMANDED an X-ray on Friday.. or at least Saturday.

Oh, well, live and learn. At least now I know... and she will mend.

I'm glad they FINALLY figured out what it was and hope she gets well soon!

I did the same thing the first time my son had pneumonia. I didn't know you had to insist on X-rays and fun stuff like that. Naive me, I thought the doctors would do what was necessary. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm glad to hear MB is doing better and getting treated. I hope she's up and around soon.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast