+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Who looks up spelling and meaning of words and phrases? Does it matter anymore?

Who looks up spelling and meaning of words and phrases? Does it matter anymore?

Just reading through posts, so many misspellings and too much time on my hands I guess. Here are some interesting phrases...

"Shoe in" when the poster probably meant "Shoo in".

"To the manner born" when the poster probably meant "To the manor born".

The word "snuck" somehow made it into the dictionary! There was a time when there was so such word.

"They hung him by the neck" when the poster probably meant "They hanged him...". People get hanged. Things get hung.

"There airing it next week" instead of "they're airing it next week".

And oh so much more...

Whew!
    Punkin likes this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Re: Who looks up spelling and meaning of words and phrases? Does it matter anymore?

My spelling is excellent and I'm quick to look up words I'm not sure about, but sometimes my fingers are on automatic and type something spelled correctly but not the word I had in mind. So for me it's a matter of successful proofreading, because even checking through a post before I launch it the mistake might not register.
    Miss Scarlet and Photobabe like this.

Re: Who looks up spelling and meaning of words and phrases? Does it matter anymore?

Well me too, my own typos drive me nuts - and I'm one who actually does try to spell things right, get syntax right, and use verbs appropriately. But I do hope grammar doesn't go completely out of style.
    Punkin and Miss Scarlet like this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

As far as I know, snuck is a correct word. I've never heard of to the manor born.

Anyway, I see misspellings and poor grammar on the internet all the time. It used to really bother me but now I figure if I can understand what they were trying to say, I'm not going to make a big deal of it.

Of course grammar and spelling is important to me. I'm not saying that it isn't! But you have to pick your battles or you'll get worked up over everything.

Unfortunately, this site is very unforgiving. You only have a limited time to fix your posts and then you're not able to edit them anymore. I cringe when I see one of my old posts with a typo in it and there's nothing I can do about it. On other sites, it may be weeks, months, or even years before I catch one of my boo-boos but if I'm able to fix it, I do.

Using phones and tablets often results in auto corrects that really aren't correct. And it is hard to see text properly on phones to proofread adequately. It bothers me to see misused or misspelled words, but I guess I am getting used to it and like Pikachu, if I understand the intent of the writing, I am okay with it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

It's a whole new world, isn't it? I've learned to overlook and forgive things that appear to be honest errors, but the whole "there / they're / their" thing will make me crazy until the day I die. Poor hubby was uploading some pictures to Facebook of our whale-watching expedition in Victoria, and typed, "These are the whale's we saw." He pressed "Enter" just as I saw the typo. I made him go in and fix it, because that whole incorrect 's thing makes me crazy, too. Fortunately, I'm retired, so I don't have a real life. LOL.
    Punkin, Lil Bit and Prism like this.

I've been called a grammar/spelling nazi at times. Some of the posts I see on Facebook almost make me cry.

Speaking of auto correct, my oldest granddaughters name is Alexis and my phone constantly tries to change her name to Alex. I guess it's just a misogynist.
    Punkin, ClosetRTWatcher and Prism like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I fear for the future of spelling because so many younger (than me) people are texting and using u for you, r for are, y for why, etc. It seems that communication (and the expeditious abbreviation thereof) has become more important than proper spelling or grammar.
    AZChristian and Photobabe like this.
    Gravity, it's not just a good idea. It's the law!

I read sites like Failbook and feel really lucky that the vast majority of my FB friends are pretty darned smart and have a better than average grasp on the English language. I do have a few FB friends who have problems with your vs. you're and one whose posts I can't really understand about 95% of the time. On the whole though, it's not bad.

Being online has forced me to have a lower set of expectations about the grammar and written communication skills of others. It's for my own sanity, really. I'd make myself crazy if I focused on all the mangling of the English language. What I don't have tolerance for is poor grammar from so-called journalists online and I'm not talking about sites like examiner.com. I'm talking Huffpo, CNN and lots of others. I see so much poor grammar, incorrect word choice and just bad writing. That's the fault of the writers and the editors, who clearly don't have the aptitude necessary for their jobs.

Oh, and I totally make allowances for proper English vs. colloquial English. I know my posts on this site or FB aren't always grammatically correct. I don't always use correct grammar, but at least I know it.

I know some people will talk about the evolution of language, but what I see isn't positive change. It's people not being able to communicate in their native tongue and not caring. I find this seemingly unapologetic ignorance to be really disturbing. Why would anyone want to sound like an idiot? Will everyone just have 100 word vocabularies supplemented by grunting and pointing in 100 years?

I've had people ask me what a word I use means (can't think of an example right now, of course) and when I tell them what it means, they ask why I didn't use a word that everyone knows - say that word would be "big." It makes me want to scream. The dictionary is packed with LOTS of wonderful words that are often far more applicable or interesting than "big." Plus, I don't want to sound like a monosyllabic cave woman.

I love the phrase "To the manor born."
    Punkin, Prism, AZChristian and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You bring up a good point critical about journalists (or editors of books). That drives me more crazy than finding errors elsewhere. I always think it's their job to know how to spell, and which word to use.

Auto-correct is not always correct. We have a huge joke in our family about how bad it is. It certainly doesn't know which version of a word to use, even if it might "fix" the spelling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast