+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Crossword Puzzles, Anyone?

FORT Newbie

Crossword Puzzles, Anyone?

I solve crosswords everyday during my break in the office or sometimes when I'm bored. I love learning facts from it. They say that it is a good exercise for the brain. Is there anyone who also loves solving the puzzle?
    Punkin likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Crossword Puzzles, Anyone?

My favorite puzzles are Cross Sums and Cryptograms. I look through puzzle magazines before buying them to see which ones have the most of those two.

I'm not as much of a fan of regular crossword puzzles because it's hard to find ones that are the right difficulty level. Most are either too easy and boring or too hard and frustrating for me to enjoy them.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

I'm a life long crossword puzzle devotee. I also do cryptograms, logic problems, and crazy (or British) crosswords.
    Kip likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I do crossword puzzles daily. My doctor said it is a good idea as it keeps the mind active.
    There's no place like home!

I do them when my mom comes to visit. Between us, we usually can finish them. I know current popular culture and she knows history/famous people from her generation. We aren't below hitting Google if we're stumped.
    I am a HUGE Sudoku fan, though.
    PGM35 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I love crosswords, the more difficult the better. On Saturdays the SF Chronicle has the Sunday NY Times puzzle and on Sunday it has the LA Times, Premiere Crossword and Merle Reagle puzzles. I get up around 5:30 Sunday mornings to settle in with my puzzles, a cup of coffee and MSNBC. It's my favorite "me" time!

I prefer words over numbers, so Sudoko has no attraction for me.
    Maveno likes this.
    Gravity, it's not just a good idea. It's the law!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I like crosswords, cryptograms, anacrostics, other word puzzles, and easy sudoku. I've never been able to do those dang logic puzzles.

I love the cleverness of some crossword puzzle clues, like the clue "overhead light" for the word "halo".

I love doing them all...I'm not always good at them, but it's sure nice when I finish one!
    inthegarden likes this.

I wanted to add for those who might be new to them that what I called "crazy crosswords" in my earlier post are called that in the U.S. In Britain they are called "cryptic crosswords." I find them great fun and very challenging because the clues include not only definitions, but all kids of word play such as anagrams, reversals, containers, double definitions and more. They aren't always easy to find here, but are available online at several sites. So are instructions and hints on how to solve them and to recognize each type of clue.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I get too frustrated if I can't finish crosswords... what do you guys do then? Just leave them unfinished? Cheat and look things up?
    I love the medium hard and hard Sudokus. If I get a book with all levels I don't do the easy ones and only do the medium ones if I run out of the others. I don't guess at all, I only write them in if I'm sure. I do write tiny reminders in the hard ones if I've narrowed it down to 2 squares. Sometimes I finish one and the puzzle is a bloody mess, but it's so satisfying to crack it!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast