+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Crossword Puzzles, Anyone?

Re: Crossword Puzzles, Anyone?

What I do when I get stuck on a puzzle is to put it aside for a while and then go back to it with a fresh view. On a really difficult puzzle, I might do that several times. It frequently works for me. They also get easier for me once I figure out the puzzle's theme.

Once I get to the point of being really stumped on a clue or two, I'm not above doing some research to find an answer. That helps me to learn new things and it might just provide stimulus for other answers to come to me. And, since it's not a competitive activity, I don't think of it as cheating, but rather as learning. Just my take.
    Maveno and Gutmutter like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm kind of different in that I like doing my puzzles with a pen. To me, a pencil can smear and make the page messy so I'd rather use a pen.

For some puzzles, if I can't solve them and know I'll never be able to figure out the answer, I'll look it up. If it's something I can figure out in time or through trial and error, I'll just set it aside and move on to another puzzle. Sometimes I go back to incomplete puzzles and work on them until I finish.

I always puzzle in pen. Whether a puzzle is in a newspaper or magazine I will go as far as I can and if "stumped" on something, I will look to the answer page to see what I missed. Doing these puzzles for over 50 years has been a remarkable education. I am old enough to know the name of Nick and Nora's dog, but those much younger than I am are winning these crosswords tournaments because they know the history that precede them because they taught themselves history "according to popular questions" by reading the answers they had no experience to know first hand. What I am saying is, don't be such a purist as to never look at the answer page if you might learn something that might come up in a future crossword! I've gotten lot of knowledge from crosswords and do quite well in trivia games as a result.

Sorry for confusion, if any, somehow my 'overwrite' took over my 'insert' and it is dark and I am helpless to figure out the problem.
    Florimel and inthegarden like this.
    Tell me again about the day you brought me home and I was all cold and hungry and you became my forever human... It's my favorite kitty bedtime story.

I like the attitudes here! I've only ever done crosswords out of a newspaper and the answers don't come until the next day. Maybe I'll try a book that has the answers in the back. And you're right - how is it cheating if you're only doing it for fun and your own edification?
    Punkin, Florimel and AmyKay like this.
    Count your blessings!

Puzzles are great learning tools and great to keep your mind going! My mom and friends go to the lake and copy puzzles so they all have the same one and then compete to see who wins!
    Punkin, Florimel and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I wanted to add for those who might be new to them that what I called "crazy crosswords" in my earlier post are called that in the U.S. In Britain they are called "cryptic crosswords." I find them great fun and very challenging because the clues include not only definitions, but all kids of word play such as anagrams, reversals, containers, double definitions and more. They aren't always easy to find here, but are available online at several sites. So are instructions and hints on how to solve them and to recognize each type of clue.
    I like those too. I also enjoy Word Jumbles or Picma puzzles.
    I would love to know how to solve Sudokus. I'm horrible at them. They make my mind shut down.
    Punkin and Florimel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I would love to know how to solve Sudokus. I'm horrible at them. They make my mind shut down.
    I'm quite good at Sudoku. I do them all the time. But then, I'm a numbers person. Numbers are constant. They don't need to be interpreted. They are what they are.
    I'm not all that good at Word Jumbles. I tend to be able to find all sorts of words from the assigned letters, that just aren't the ones they want. That frustrates me. I feel like "But I gave you a correct answer! The fact that it isn't the one YOU pick is not my fault!"
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Sudokus are not my favorite kind of puzzle, but the key for me is to realize that there is only 1 of each number is a row or column. I start by looking for number with the most entries and and finding a place for that number somewhere that doesn't break that rule, then rinse and repeat. It becomes easier as you fill in more numbers. As with all puzzle types there are varying degrees of difficulty. Trickiest for me of the ones I do are the diagramless crosswords.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

That's how I usually start Sudokku, too... look for the ones that occur the most often and cross check rows and columns and squares. Then I go 1 - 9 and do the same cross reference to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious. Then I look for rows, columns, or boxes with only 3 missing, figure out which three they are, and check each option to see if anything can be eliminated. The more you do it the more tricks you learn.
    Florimel and inthegarden like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Mely97 View Post
    I solve crosswords everyday during my break in the office or sometimes when I'm bored. I love learning facts from it. They say that it is a good exercise for the brain. Is there anyone who also loves solving the puzzle?
    I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread, Mely97. I never would have thought of it, but I'm so glad that you did.

Puzzling has been one of my favorite pastimes since childhood, and that is a long time! For me, aside from the study of Latin and Greek in high school, doing puzzles was some of the best prep I found for my verbal SATs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast