+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3054707;
    veejer, I thought I would make a lot of noise the next time I take the dog out in the middle of the night. Now that I know about the sensitive ears, I will definitely do that.

After I settled down, I got to thinking.....I don't drink tomato juice and never have it in the house. But if the dog (or worse, me!) had been sprayed, someone would have had to go to the store to get some juice. Think I will add a can of tomato juice to the grocery list and keep it on hand, just in case!

And then your dog will smell like a Bloody Mary I'm sure that's better than the alternative! Seriously - the tomato juice DOES work. I have a friend who's dog had THREE run-ins with a skunk within a month. You'd think the dog (or the skunk) would learn, but noooooo..... They bathed the dog with tomato juice and he was fine aside from his white fur taking on a slightly pink tinge

I woke up to a howling, snarling mess this morning. Our JRT decided that Henry looked a little too comfy on the foot of our bed and attacked him! Henry is ok but he has two bites on his face and he was really scared. NOT a nice way to wake up.

Gabriel - loooove Joey's new cat tree! I'd get one for Henry if I thought he could heave himself up onto it and get out of Simon's reach. Joey looks like he is truly enjoying his new playground!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

All hail King Joey. That's what he looks like.

Yeah- and after the first trip and check out of the "tree" he hasn't gone on it since... HO HUM!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

NO to tomato juice for de-skunking a dog. That's bush-league. If you want to REALLY de-skunk the dog, this works GREAT--it has kept Gustav in my good graces when he's had encounters.

1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    A few drops (maybe a half-teaspoon) of liquid dish soap

Mix ingredients and use immediately to bathe the dog. Follow up with a regular shampoo bath if you want, but a good rinse afterward is all the dog really needs. Very simple, VERY effective, no disgusting tomato juice odor lingering in the air . . .

* DO NOT STORE LEFTOVERS--the chemical reaction between the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide releases a lot of gas, which can explode a storage container. For the same reason, you do not want to mix up a batch for future use.

I generally keep a skunk kit available in my pantry. A quart of mix is enough to de-skunk an entire Newf
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I lived in a very old, huge Victorian house (inherited from my grandfather), there were mice. I had a kitty that I had received as an "Easter Bunny" gift. She definitely got her kicks out of hunting/capturing the mice. She'd strip the mice of their fur and skin, ingest it, and leave the dead, denuded mouse gift lying in the middle of the floor, to be discovered by me. Freaked me out everytime!!! Caused me to coin a new word: gross-i-o-sity!!!

bbnbama, that email you posted brought that all back to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3054977;
    NO to tomato juice for de-skunking a dog. That's bush-league. If you want to REALLY de-skunk the dog, this works GREAT--it has kept Gustav in my good graces when he's had encounters.

1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    A few drops (maybe a half-teaspoon) of liquid dish soap

Mix ingredients and use immediately to bathe the dog. Follow up with a regular shampoo bath if you want, but a good rinse afterward is all the dog really needs. Very simple, VERY effective, no disgusting tomato juice odor lingering in the air . . .

* DO NOT STORE LEFTOVERS--the chemical reaction between the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide releases a lot of gas, which can explode a storage container. For the same reason, you do not want to mix up a batch for future use.

I generally keep a skunk kit available in my pantry. A quart of mix is enough to de-skunk an entire Newf

Thanks Newf, I like those ingredients better than going the tomato juice route. And since the pup is a bichon, he would have that lovely pinkish tinge to his fur after the tomato juice treatment....as well as that smell! Yuck.

Joey looks great up on his tree, Gabriel. I am glad to see he has his apartment set up just the way he likes and even left a little space for you

This is an amazing story with a happy ending!

fawns1.jpgfawns2.jpgfawns3.jpgfawns4.jpgfawns5.jpg

TWO FAWNS RESCUED FROM DEAD DOE
    A sad situation ended happily last weekend when a farmer south of Saskatoon delivered two fawns from a deer that had been hit by a car overnight and left to die by the side of the road. He saved two fawns: one female and one male. For the past six days, the farmer and his wife have been keeping the fawns in their basement living room during their first hours of life. Annie, one of their cats, has taken to following the female deer around. The couple have arranged for the fawns to be picked up by the province's wildlife branch when they will be taken to a farm. They will be released into the wild, when they are strong enough to manage.

Oh, deer
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3055671;
    Joey looks great up on his tree, Gabriel. I am glad to see he has his apartment set up just the way he likes and even left a little space for you
    just like the bed, I have my little corner of the world.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3055107;
    Thanks Newf, I like those ingredients better than going the tomato juice route. And since the pup is a bichon, he would have that lovely pinkish tinge to his fur after the tomato juice treatment....as well as that smell! Yuck.
    Just be sure to halve or quarter the ingredients, since Newf has a Giant Economy Size Dog and you have the NEW! Extra Concentrated kind.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread