+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3030744;
    *does the sideway half glance* hokey dokey
    Actually there are people that do eat that and call it that. NOT ME! I have tried possum and it was nasty. I wouldn't even TRY armadillo. Yuck, nasty, no way.
    My husband used to hunt. He hasn't in years. He'd like to start again now that we live somewhere where it's possible again, but I've had dove, quail, rabbit, squirrel, possum, wild turkey, wild hog, deer and cooter (turtle). Everything but the squirrel and possum I'd eat again.

But I don't want to see it until it's ready to eat.
    We have animal skins in the musuem in our Native American classroom activity. They don't bother me, but they are just the skins. I don't want to see the animal unless it's alive or dinner. Nothing in between.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've had several funny experiences with possums. When I was growing up we had an apple tree in our yard, but the apples weren't very tasty so most of them fell and rotted. We'd occasionally get a glimpse of a possum or coon eating them. One spring we hadn't cleaned them all up in the fall and they'd fermented. One day we saw a possum that had definitely had more than his limit. He was staggering all over the place!!!!

Another time, we'd had a lot of snow and then just the right thawing-refreezing to make the snow crust over. This poor possum was trying to walk on top of the snow, he'd put a paw down and be okay, but then when he shifted his weight, he'd sink through. It took him forever to make it make to the line of trees on the creek bank!!!

The last experience was when we were having problems with a feral cat using our flowerbed as his bathroom. The animal control officer set a live trap for it. We never did catch that cat, but we did catch two coons, a possum, a crow and a blue jay!!! My son was about 7 at the time and would run out each morning to see if we'd caught the cat. On the day we caught the possum, he came back so fast and his eyes were really big. "Mom, there's something really ugly in the trap!!!" I knew immediately that it had to be a possum.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Possum = California speedbump
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3030751;
    Actually there are people that do eat that and call it that. NOT ME! I have tried possum and it was nasty. I wouldn't even TRY armadillo. Yuck, nasty, no way.
    My husband used to hunt. He hasn't in years. He'd like to start again now that we live somewhere where it's possible again, but I've had dove, quail, rabbit, squirrel, possum, wild turkey, wild hog, deer and cooter (turtle). Everything but the squirrel and possum I'd eat again.

But I don't want to see it until it's ready to eat.
    We have animal skins in the musuem in our Native American classroom activity. They don't bother me, but they are just the skins. I don't want to see the animal unless it's alive or dinner. Nothing in between.
    I've never eaten possum and don't plan for it to be on my menu any time soon! Eww! I've tried most of the other meat that you mentioned. No squirrel though!

Speaking of hunting, Henry almost managed to catch his own dinner tonight. I let him out into the backyard and there was a bird sitting on the edge of a planter on the patio, I didn't see it at first, but Henry did and he waddled towards it at HWS (Henry Warp Speed) with his mouth wide open - all ready to catch it! The bird took off right as Henry got to it and he missed it by about a foot. This led to a lot of jumping and barking because the bird flew to a tree branch that was just out of Henry's reach. He finally passed out in the grass and the bird was still on that branch squawking at him. Henry actually DID manage to catch a bird (albeit a very small bird that was just learning to fly ) a few years ago and, for the two hours a day that he is actually awake, he's usually on the lookout for another feathered friend.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3031101;
    but Henry did and he waddled towards it at HWS (Henry Warp Speed) with his mouth wide open -

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That IS funny right there, and bless all the pygmies in new guinea
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

OK, so I have the BEST news! We got a brand new kittie on Saturday! A girl in our Venturing Crew had two litters that she was caring for until they were old enough to leave their mothers. I mentioned it to my husband a couple of weeks ago, and he said definitely "no more cats"! So I kind of gave up. He was pretty emphatic. So he saw the girl on Saturday and she mentioned that she had two kittens from the one litter left. He said the only way he would take one was if it was a calico, because he's always wanted a calico cat. Well, guess what?? You got it! It was fate!!! So home he came with the cutest little kitten you've ever seen! We decided to name her Callie (because she's a calico). She's a little nervous, but has been eating, drinking, purring, pooping (although doesn't always make it to the little box, but she's trying!!), and playing. She has the cutest little face - oh, I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Whiskers and Duncan reacted as expected. Duncan doesn't seem to care too much, except he's been coming around for more pets, which I'm happy to give him. Whiskers just hisses if Callie gets a little too close, but that's about it. That's exactly how Whiskers reacted when we brought Duncan home, and before long, they were rolling around playing, so I'm not concerned about that.

She's just so doggone cute!!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Scout.......now we need to see pictures of Callie the cutie calico!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I was going to take some pictures of her yesterday, but she's still a little on the nervous side. I was afraid the flash would put her over the edge! (Well, that and I have to wait for my son to download the pictures from the camera, because I don't know how to do that!!) I'll try to get some soon. She's just so cute! She has this little itty bitty head!

I love calico cats, they are so pretty. I can't wait to see pictures.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread