+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2926288;
    That's amazing! You see, that's where cats are different. They want to get close enough to see what is going on, but they seem to be of the opinion that their housemates are on their own! It's like, I'm curious, but I'm not in this mess...
    I'd have to say not entirely true. A few years ago, I heard something someone chowing down at the food bowl, and turned to see which of the boys had come in. Who had come in was a rat literally the size of a large squirrel, and he was very much enjoying his meal. I stared at him (completely freaked and in a bit of a state of shock), he stared at me, and Harvey watched the whole thing from the kitchen table because cats are smart enough not to take on a rat that size. So anyway, the rat apparently takes offense at being stared at and makes a run at me. Harvey is off that table like a shot and chases the giant rat out of the house. He is such a good, good boy and he got many, many treats for being such a good, good boy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2926307;
    I'd have to say not entirely true. A few years ago, I heard something someone chowing down at the food bowl, and turned to see which of the boys had come in. Who had come in was a rat literally the size of a large squirrel, and he was very much enjoying his meal...
    Ewww! A huge rat! I'm so glad we don't have rats here.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2926212;
    Doxie,
    I think the same thing would happen with my dogs, whoever got them would bring them back. Well, they would barely get out of the parking lot with Waldo before he got carsick, so he'd be brought back immediately!

I had the dogs out last evening and they were all in the yard, behaving for a change. A man walked down the street and they started barking at him. (usually anyone walking is fair game for them to try to get petted and they are happy and tailwagging). This is the first time they've barked like this at anyone. I had them all under control and rounded up headed for the back door, when the man yelled something at me. (we were clear on the otherside of the house from the street which is a right far piece. ) I turned around to see what was going on and he stepped into my yard and the dogs went ballistic! They were growling and snapping. I had Waldo's collar and he was lunging against it, and the other two were standing between me and the man with their hackles raised. I have NEVER seen this happen. They all LOVE people. The man stepped back out of my yard and told me I'd "BETTER get my dogs under control". Duh, they were all under control and circled around me in protection mode. I was slightly ticked at this point and I told him, he'd better not set another foot in my yard again.
    They have NEVER acted like this towards anyone. They wouldnt' settle down even once I got them in the house. They all paced and stood sentry at the windows for almost half an hour afterwards.
    It made me very uneasy. Usually we have a lot of walkers and joggers in the neighborhood and most of them know Waldo, Bogie and Rosie and will either stop to talk to me and pet them or will wave and the dogs just wag their tails. This is the first time they barked and went into "protect mom mode".
    And the guy was middleaged, in jogging pants, so he didn't look any different than anyone else. What do you think spooked them like that? They had started barking at him and raising hackles before he stepped in the yard.
    I'm telling you, I'm really glad that Waldo is big and has a big, deep bark. And this is the first time I've ever seen him, not in his happy mode, but in a "this is MY house and yard and mom and you'd better not mess with me" mode.
    Dogs are a good judge of character, maybe they thought something was off about this guy. It is good to have protectors, isn't it?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2926212;
    They have NEVER acted like this towards anyone. They wouldnt' settle down even once I got them in the house. They all paced and stood sentry at the windows for almost half an hour afterwards.It made me very uneasy. Usually we have a lot of walkers and joggers in the neighborhood and most of them know Waldo, Bogie and Rosie and will either stop to talk to me and pet them or will wave and the dogs just wag their tails. This is the first time they barked and went into "protect mom mode".
    And the guy was middleaged, in jogging pants, so he didn't look any different than anyone else. What do you think spooked them like that? They had started barking at him and raising hackles before he stepped in the yard.
    I'm telling you, I'm really glad that Waldo is big and has a big, deep bark. And this is the first time I've ever seen him, not in his happy mode, but in a "this is MY house and yard and mom and you'd better not mess with me" mode.
    I am sure they could sense something. Smart ones they are. I would just be a bit leery myself and kind of keep your eyes and ears open and near a phone.

Somewhat along the same lines, If there ever was someone that Mona didn't like she (little dickens she was) would walk up to that person and HISS and SPIT, give them the look and walk away. Who would have thunk a 9 pound tabby could be threatening?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2927080;
    I am sure they could sense something. Smart ones they are. I would just be a bit leery myself and kind of keep your eyes and ears open and near a phone.

Somewhat along the same lines, If there ever was someone that Mona didn't like she (little dickens she was) would walk up to that person and HISS and SPIT, give them the look and walk away. Who would have thunk a 9 pound tabby could be threatening?
    I did alert the neighbors. But this neighborhood is filled with walkers, joggers, dog walkers, etc. It's fairly busy with foot traffic and right now everyone is outside gardening, so I doubt much would go unnoticed.

I am being precautious. And just call me Annie Oakley, but I have the shotgun and I know how to use it! (seriously, the gun is in the closet that is steps from my bed and I used to target shoot, so if it came down to it, I think that between the dogs, the gun and the phone to the police, I feel pretty safe. Keeping all the doors locked as always.)

Isn't it amazing how dogs are good judges of character? Most of the time. My grandmothers dog HATED my husband. Just hated him. But she was wrong cause he's a great guy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

The man with the black lab finally got his own dog back yesterday. The woman that got his sounds like an airhead. But at least both dogs are back to their rightful owners.

Yahoo news has the story if you are interested. It doesn't have much new news in it other than the dogs were finally switched. I would have posted it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2927274;
    The man with the black lab finally got his own dog back yesterday. The woman that got his sounds like an airhead. But at least both dogs are back to their rightful owners.

Yahoo news has the story if you are interested. It doesn't have much new news in it other than the dogs were finally switched. I would have posted it otherwise.
    I saw that too mrd. I was happy they got their dog back. The clip I saw didn't offer much info but it sounds like it was a different person who had his dog then the woman he originally thought. I bet they won't be using that kennel any longer.

About your stranger, I agree that dogs seem to know the real baddies. There's a difference in a dog not liking someone (as in the case with your grandmother's dog, which might have just been jealousy) and a dog raising the alarm so specifically. In this case all three of them. Maybe whatever it is that he may be up to, he knows not to come back around your area. You have to wonder if some criminals dress up like joggers to case the area. Okay, maybe I've been watching too many crime scene shows .

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2927353;
    I saw that too mrd. I was happy they got their dog back. The clip I saw didn't offer much info but it sounds like it was a different person who had his dog then the woman he originally thought. I bet they won't be using that kennel any longer.

About your stranger, I agree that dogs seem to know the real baddies. There's a difference in a dog not liking someone (as in the case with your grandmother's dog, which might have just been jealousy) and a dog raising the alarm so specifically. In this case all three of them. Maybe whatever it is that he may be up to, he knows not to come back around your area. You have to wonder if some criminals dress up like joggers to case the area. Okay, maybe I've been watching too many crime scene shows .
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to do around here because there are so many walkers and joggers. But you read so much about stupid criminals, but I guess there are smart ones too.
    Everything has been ok since then, but I will keep a sharp eye out and so will my neighbor.

Actually the story I read said the woman that had the man's dog is the same one they contacted originally. The man owned "Callie" and Callie got mixed up with "Dixie". Dixie's owner said she thought her dog had undergone a "personality" change. But now its apparantly straightened out.

I saw that on Yahoo too. I'm glad that the guy got his dog back.

MRD: Be careful! It sounds like your pups are protecting you well, but I hope that you keep an eye out for the guy who bothered y'all. I know that Simon would trade my safety for food or a tennis ball, but he is extremely protective of my husband. Henry would probably protect me if he was awake (and that is not often). Henry does HATE the UPS delivery guy and the hackles go up and a lot of growling goes on whenever the UPS truck is in our subdivision. Henry does have a very loud, deep bark for a small dog and I think that the UPS guy thinks that Henry is a much larger dog. UPS guy usually just drops off the package and runs back to his truck without even ringing the doorbell.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I sure hope that both owners get their dogs micro-chipped.

It won't be long before people have to be chipped for security and banking and such, and you will have to micro-chip your kids too to prove you haven't abducted somebody elses!

There was a tv show where young adults were actually "chipped" so they could enter a bar without having ID and money. The chip was scanned to ensure they were of drinking age, and scanned whenever they ordered drinks. The bill showed up on their credit cards to pay later. I don't think that is going to be far off in the future.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread