+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

More about Lincoln, and it's relevant to the conversation . Lincoln is a lovely cat with one truly unsavoury habit. Fortunately it's only happened a couple of times so far, but he has taken giant poops in front of the door right under the mail slot. We don't know whether or not he has ever actually used the litter box (three cats, all with outdoor access - hard to determine), but he really needs to learn to use it. Does anyone have any good tips on training a full grown adult cat to use the box?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2919940;
    More about Lincoln, and it's relevant to the conversation . Lincoln is a lovely cat with one truly unsavoury habit. Fortunately it's only happened a couple of times so far, but he has taken giant poops in front of the door right under the mail slot. We don't know whether or not he has ever actually used the litter box (three cats, all with outdoor access - hard to determine), but he really needs to learn to use it. Does anyone have any good tips on training a full grown adult cat to use the box?
    Maybe he's protesting the bills you get for you!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My daugher lives next door, and they have a female husky puppy (about 7 months old now). For a long time we found poop on our front doormat. I guess she was mad we wouldn't let her in.
    now she doesn't do that anymore, but she does drag the doormats out into the front yard. We had a snowman one for winter - that one ended up in pieces (many, many of them). the jute type she just hauls out there, no matter how many times we take it back.
    weird dog. She doesn't do it to my daughters front doormat - just ours.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2919960;
    My daugher lives next door, and they have a female husky puppy (about 7 months old now). For a long time we found poop on our front doormat. I guess she was mad we wouldn't let her in.
    now she doesn't do that anymore, but she does drag the doormats out into the front yard. We had a snowman one for winter - that one ended up in pieces (many, many of them). the jute type she just hauls out there, no matter how many times we take it back.
    weird dog. She doesn't do it to my daughters front doormat - just ours.
    Don't put out a mat that says "WELCOME" unless you mean it
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2919940;
    Rattus, both my cats came from the farm and had never seen a litter box before they came to live with us. What I did was put a litter box right beside the door. Leave it there for a while, then slowly move it to the spot you want it. I don't know how many boxes you use now (we have two for two cats) but if you already have 2, then I would use a third one beside the door for the time being.

It's kind of gross for a while, but Lincoln will probably learn fast.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here is a cute picture of Jaxi - Mike put her lips up around her underbite.

She doenst' seem fazed by it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2920169;
    Here is a cute picture of Jaxi - Mike put her lips up around her underbite.

She doenst' seem fazed by it at all!
    And she just laid there? What a sweetie!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2920150;
    Rattus, both my cats came from the farm and had never seen a litter box before they came to live with us. What I did was put a litter box right beside the door. Leave it there for a while, then slowly move it to the spot you want it. I don't know how many boxes you use now (we have two for two cats) but if you already have 2, then I would use a third one beside the door for the time being.

It's kind of gross for a while, but Lincoln will probably learn fast.
    Thanks, AJane. Mr. Rattus had made that same suggestion, but I wasn't sure if it was viable and I've been trying to work out some sort of bag-taped-to-the-door thing in order to keep mail from landing in the box *blechh*. Fortunately we use the back door as our main entry so we won't have to deal with shoving a box o' turds out of the way every time we come in. However, I am kind of dreading the slow march of the (third) litter box from the front door, down the hall, across the living room, through the kitchen and down the basement stairs to its final resting place. But better than regularly shampooing poop out of the rug, I guess .

Actually, when you say "slowly move", how far and how often did you move the box?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2920255;
    Thanks, AJane. Mr. Rattus had made that same suggestion, but I wasn't sure if it was viable and I've been trying to work out some sort of bag-taped-to-the-door thing in order to keep mail from landing in the box *blechh*. Fortunately we use the back door as our main entry so we won't have to deal with shoving a box o' turds out of the way every time we come in. However, I am kind of dreading the slow march of the (third) litter box from the front door, down the hall, across the living room, through the kitchen and down the basement stairs to its final resting place. But better than regularly shampooing poop out of the rug, I guess .

Actually, when you say "slowly move", how far and how often did you move the box?
    Now seriously - Have you thought about really just sitting down with the boy and having a heart to heart discussion about this? It might just work.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2920263;
    Now seriously - Have you thought about really just sitting down with the boy and having a heart to heart discussion about this? It might just work.
    I did that last night. While he hasn't done it since, I still don't believe he was actually paying attention to that aspect of the conversation. I think he was more interested in the head skritches and the promise of food.

+ Reply to Thread