+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Well, the MP's held their vote on our animal abuse Bill and we're not satisfied.
    Those found guilty can receive a fine of up to $5,000 and up to 5 years in jail. Three special interest groups got the ears of the MP's and scared them off from putting anything with teeth into it, including hunters, farmers, and the people who use rats and animals for laboratory. Frankly, I don't see why they couldn't specify "house pets" and "hobby farm animals" or something. Right now, there's a Bill, but there's nothing to really allow the Courts to make them use it. Not happy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2909075;
    I have to say this about the girly cats, ...they are smart...
    Here's what I found when I realized Lexi wasn't outside anymore....

And here's my two sweet kitties snoozing together...Mr. Tootles unknowingly stretched his big footsie over lil Peanut's head!

Last edited by misskitty; 04-11-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

misskitty- Is that a harness? and she got out of it.... wow. How is my girl miss gracie doing?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love the pick with Tootle's leg thrown over Lexie's head! She is completely knocked out; he's "playin possum"!! They are precious!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm sorry the animal abuse bill didn't go the way you wanted, misskitty.

I actually got some good news on the animal and people front last week. I work for a rape crisis center. We work closely with a lot of other agencies including domestic violence centers. Last week one of our local animal shelters, Animal Friends, started a program to board the pets of people who are fleeing their homes to live at the shelters. They are doing this at no cost to the pet owner. A lot of people would stay in dangerous situations because they were afraid of what the abuser would do to their pets if they left. And most domestic violence shelters simply don't have the space to take animals as well as people.

As a pet owner, I know it would be impossible for me to leave Chico behind, no matter the danger to me.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2913708;
    I'm sorry the animal abuse bill didn't go the way you wanted, misskitty.

I actually got some good news on the animal and people front last week. I work for a rape crisis center. We work closely with a lot of other agencies including domestic violence centers. Last week one of our local animal shelters, Animal Friends, started a program to board the pets of people who are fleeing their homes to live at the shelters. They are doing this at no cost to the pet owner. A lot of people would stay in dangerous situations because they were afraid of what the abuser would do to their pets if they left. And most domestic violence shelters simply don't have the space to take animals as well as people.

As a pet owner, I know it would be impossible for me to leave Chico behind, no matter the danger to me.

That is really Great BT. I know that a few years ago in Florida, they finally started opening hurricane shelters that let people bring their pets, because so many people just would not evacuate because they couldn't leave their pets behind.
    I'm glad that animals are finally starting to get the recognition as family members and reasons that people might stay in dangerous situations and something is being done about it so that people will not only help themselves, but be assured their pet is helped as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2913732;
    That is really Great BT. I know that a few years ago in Florida, they finally started opening hurricane shelters that let people bring their pets, because so many people just would not evacuate because they couldn't leave their pets behind.
    I'm glad that animals are finally starting to get the recognition as family members and reasons that people might stay in dangerous situations and something is being done about it so that people will not only help themselves, but be assured their pet is helped as well.

I was so glad when I heard they were doing that. How could you evacuate and leave your pets behind when you know that there is a hurricane coming? I don't think I could have done that.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2913763;
    I was so glad when I heard they were doing that. How could you evacuate and leave your pets behind when you know that there is a hurricane coming? I don't think I could have done that.
    Me either. Our plan before they did that was to take the dogs and get in the car and hightail it either to relatives or a pet friendly hotel out of the strike zone. I'd still rather not do the shelter thing unless it was absolutely necessary. Those places while supposedly safe, are also supposedly really difficult to live in, with people everywhere and the pets are usually kept in a separate area away from the people and MUST be crated. So it's like a large kennel with crates of animals in a large room, all barking and whining and meowing and scared and you're not really allowed to be with them except to exercise and feed them. So while I think its good to have shelters that are pet friendly, they still aren't as friendly as I'd like for MY pets. But I can understand because otherwise, it would be a zoo with pets and children and adults all running around. Utter chaos.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think I'd try to stuff my gurls into "my gurls" and make for really huge boobs!!! Of course, they would be moving boobs. Seriously, I don't know what I'd do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2909407;
    Well, it was only a matter of time. I have been busy unpacking boxes for the last week, and my Mastiff decided to jump in the little pond we have on the property while I was busy. Boy, she was so proud of herself as she stood at the sliding glass doors reeking of swampy, leafy, water. There is supposed to be Koi in there but I don't know if they have much of a chance, poor things. Why do dogs like to smell so awful? Sigh.
    Wait a minute...I have two questions. How is it that your pond isn't frozen and did you snap a picture?

Like Mariner, I had a labrador who was backpacking with us and several other couples. The last day, as we were hiking out to our cars, he spotted a dead fish along a lake shoreline, and threw himself on it wriggling in dead-fish-stink glory. That was a memorable drive until we found a gas station with a hose.

BT, that's good news because like you said, who could make such a heart-breaking decision to leave your pets behind.

MK
    , the picture of your babies is so darn cute.

It's been eighteen days, and a new baby hummingbird has entered the world! It's tough to see, but there's a baby hatched in there.

Mama's feeding - see the teeny beak?

Keeping him/her warm.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread