+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2905763;
    I got all excited and planned a visit to Canadian Tire this weekend, until I remembered that I can't even put out the regular feeder until Finley gets too old (or blasé or fat or lethargic or something) to be climbing every structure and/or tree in a three house radius in search of birds to kill. He still climbs on top of the neighbour's pigeon coop to stare inside whilst licking his chops, even though they've been gone for a year. No winged thing is safe where the Fin is in earshot, unfortunately. Little bugger. If I didn't love him so much, I could just kill him sometimes.

ETA: Actually, I just remembered - the hummingbirds I saw at our last house were flitting around the honeysuckle vine growing over our fence. So planting some honeysuckle might do the trick as well.
    Rattus, I don't think you have to worry about the hummies. They are way quicker and littler than regular birds, and are always zipping around so the cats really don't have a chance. Just hang the feeder from a branch on shrub or something. Or as you mentioned, get a honeysuckle vine (if you can get the red flowering kind, they really do love tubular red flowers of most any kind. )

MRD, you do have hummingbirds, and plenty of them. If you put out a feeder now, they won't use it so much until about June, when the flowers start geting fewer. But, put it out anyway so they will see it. Come summer, you will be surprised at how much hummingbirds can eat!
    I use the little cheap feeders because the birds really don't share so well.

Bunny,
    In hope the vet is wrong--or at least that there is some medicine to keep your pup seizure free.
    Last edited by queenb; 04-10-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Bunny555 - I hope the vet is wrong, but in the event Duncan does have Epilepsy, it is controllable, my Aunt & Uncle had a German Shepard who had it and lived a long life, with medication.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2908190;
    Does anyone have any experience with dog Epilepsy? Our lil rescue beagle Duncan had a seizure 2 nights ago. He is a very hyper lil guy by nature so I knew something was wroong when he just laid on the sofa looking sad. The travelling vet who came by today on a pre-scheduled visit to give everyone their shots did bloodwork on him to be sure but she seems to think it's Epilepsy.
    Bunny, how scary.

We had a friend with an epileptic dog and while it was scary until they got the dog on medication, once on it, the she did very well and was fine. She liked quite a long while after being diagnosed and didn't have seizures as long as they kept her on the medication. In fact, she did quite well and unless you knew about the problem, to see her, you'd never know she had one.

so I wish you luck and lots of hugs, but I think it will be ok as long as the vet is able to keep the seizures controlled.

Queenb, thanks for the info. I'd love to have some hummingbirds. Wonder if Dollar General (my favorite store) might have the feeders. They seem to have EVERYTHING else.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2908190;
    Does anyone have any experience with dog Epilepsy? Our lil rescue beagle Duncan had a seizure 2 nights ago. He is a very hyper lil guy by nature so I knew something was wroong when he just laid on the sofa looking sad. The travelling vet who came by today on a pre-scheduled visit to give everyone their shots did bloodwork on him to be sure but she seems to think it's Epilepsy.
    Oscar the auxiliary Newf that I fostered last year has epilepsy. It is controlled with low doses of phenobarbital, and the phenobarb is very inexpensive.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do dogs have the confusion that people do after their seizures?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I had a seizure several years ago (was medicine induced) and I did not have confusion upon "coming too". In fact, I was more annoyed than confused because the EMT's were asking me who the president was and what year it was and I remember thinking, what kind of stupid question is that. OF COURSE I know what freaking year it is.
    But maybe non medicine induced seizures are different. (I no longer take that medicine), but they did put me on phenobarbital for a bit and I remember being a ZOMBIE. Felt like they should just prop me in a corner and let me drool on myself all day. I got off that stuff as soon as I possibly could.

I had a wonderful experience last night. First off, Waldo MUST always run ahead of you when you are walking and get right in front of you and either stop or go slower than snail on a walker. So I kept having leg cramps in the night and would bail out of bed to walk them off and guess who thought it was a game to get in front of me and stop and look back at me? I was so mad at him as I needed to WALK and fast and he was always in the way. And thought I was playing at 2 and 3 and 4 a.m. Of course, now the big loaf is sleeping peacefully while I step over him. I guess my being up kept him from getting HIS beauty rest. I'm so tired, I could lay my head on the keyboard and go to sleep.
    And for the record, Rosie never once even moved while all this was going on last night. God forbid anything interupt the Queen's beauty rest. In fact she growled and grunted at me when I got back in bed everytime, expressing her displeasure that I was disturbing HER.
    yes, my dogs ARE spoiled.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes. While we won't know Duncan's condition for certain until his blood work is in, he does seem to be back to his old self today.
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2908591;
    Do dogs have the confusion that people do after their seizures?
    His seizure lasted about 3 minutes and while all of us were freaked out for the rest of the night, Duncan was none the worse. He went right back to stalking the cat.
    CYA

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2908751;
    Thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes. While we won't know Duncan's condition for certain until his blood work is in, he does seem to be back to his old self today.

His seizure lasted about 3 minutes and while all of us were freaked out for the rest of the night, Duncan was none the worse. He went right back to stalking the cat.

Would you believe that I first read that as "talking to the cat."!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Bunny: I'm so sorry to hear about Duncan's condition. I hope that you are able to find a treatment that keeps him happy and healthy for a long time!

I may just buy a little hummingbird feeder from the Dollar Store here. I used to grow a honeysuckle vine but it froze one spring. I'm not sure if I should ask Mr. Squirrel if he would mind the feeder hanging from one of his trees.

Lil Lexi is just so smart. The other day, she figured out she could push her wee little pink nosie against my roll-out screen door (Phantom) and get out! I couldn't believe it! Four kitties and she's the one that figures it out. Well, today I discovered it works both ways....she was able to force herself into the porch from outside because she wanted in! I have no idea what I'm going to do now. The screen door was the perfect solution for getting fresh air into the house without the kitties being outside on leashes.

BTW: Gracie appears to be having a good day today!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I hope Duncan is going to be ok Bunny!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread