+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Jewelsy, that Jasper is definitely a plus-size. They're both lovely cats, love Dusty's colours. Our Dorito is a heavy boy as well, and I'll echo gabriel - we had to severely limit dry food. Although now I think he's eating the dog's food.

Oh, the hummingbird thing (beautiful pics, Roses) - my husband's grandma had a hummingbird feeder at her farm and got many of them in the summer months. That's in southeastern Manitoba. Grandma also had a lot of flowers that apparently attracted them, so I think if the conditions are right, they will come even in chillier zones.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Jewels, picture #2 made me laugh! Our babies are sooo rotten! Dusty looks like my Miss Sashay. Keep in mind that age 7 is when our kitties are declared "seniors". Hate that! You definitely have a couple of snuggle-bunnies there.

My stalker, Miss Celie, is still the different animal that she returned to me as after her 2 day outdoor adventure, but she still likes to tear around the house like a nutcase, running from floor to floor. She seems to like to start out in the tile hallway, where you can hear her spinning her "wheels" not getting traction, like a car peeling rubber. She reminds me of those yard things of Mickey and Minnie Mouse that you can see in people's front yards with the legs going around and around when the wind blows but they go no where!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Dog owners - has anyone got a solution for digging? I belong to a board for Labs, and the general consensus there is that a digging dog is either under-exercised (we walk Stryker at least once a day for 30-40 minutes, and sometimes we get out twice a day) or he's lonely. But someone is home with him 95% of the time, and he's rarely outside alone for more than 15 minutes. He seems pretty happy and content to me, and two weeks ago he was proclaimed totally healthy by the vet.

Is there anything I can do? He's dug around some shrubs, a flower bed, and by the steps. I think if I put chicken wire around the shrubs and bed he'll just dig underneath it.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Sounds like he needs some RUNNING exercise in addition to his walking.

Damn, I don't want to run. I think I'll have to look into a nearby off-leash park.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2903490;
    Damn, I don't want to run. I think I'll have to look into a nearby off-leash park.
    I think that is the perfect solution AJane. I know that my sister and brother-in-law's lab lives to run. The park works great when they can't or don't want to take a three mile run with her.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Jewelsy--I do think Jasper is Boo Boo's cousin or something. Actually, I've gotten her tolose a couple of ponds since I got her, and she feels a lot better. The tummy is still bigger than it needs to be, though.
    I'm happy to report that the kitties have at least gontten to the point Ican have them out at the same time, at least while i'm home. I don't mind the slow progress, so long as there is progress!

Rattus and Misskitty-- you might get a nice surprise if you put out hummingbird feeders about the end of May--I actually saw a couple in Alaska during August at a feeder.
    This list is of hummingbirds found in Canada...
    Anna's Hummingbird, Calypte anna
    Calliope Hummingbird, Stellula calliope
    Rufous Hummingbird, Selasphorus rufus
    Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris
    Black-chinned Hummingbird, Archilochus alexandri
    Green Violet-ear, Colibri thalassinus (Rare or Accidental)
    Broad-billed Hummingbird, Cynanthus latirostris (Rare or Accidental)
    Costa's Hummingbird, Calypte costae (Rare or Accidental)
    Last edited by queenb; 04-08-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Dogpark.com: off-leash, on-line | Welcome to Dogpark.com

Dog Fun Directory

Animal Planet Dog Park Map

Here are a couple of directories that might lead you to a dog park in your area. You might also check out to see if there are any obedience schools that offer playdates (lol I know it sounds silly). Some obedience schools have indoor facilities and offer free for all nights for dogs to burn off energy.

Jewelsy: Your pudgy boys are just adorable! I know how you feel about them getting older. Our Simon (JRT) is 14 and his entire head is grey and his eyelashes and the little brown markings that he used to have over his eyes have turned white. Henry is about 8 and his muzzle and feet have started turning grey and I noticed the other day that the hair between the pads on his feet is now white!

Ajane: Does your dog like to play ball? Every lab I've ever come across has been obsessed with tennis balls. Maybe you could play ball with him and that would distract him from digging. Also, the doggie playdate idea that someone else suggested isn't a bad idea. I used to take our JRT to "Doggie Daycare" twice a week. It was held at an obedience school and they had indoor and outdoor (fenced) play areas for the dogs. He loved it and came home so worn out that he could barely eat, much less dig up anything! Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Jewelsy, your kitties are adorable. I'd love to bury my face in Jaspers big furry Buddha belly.

Rosie and Bogie are losing their brown "masks", the grew is slowly replacing the brown. And Bogie had an adorable brown eye patch over one eye that is now almost completely white.

As for the digging. Bogie is a digger and playing ball really distracts him from that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread