+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Those are the cutest pics Roses! I have never seen a hummingbird's nest before! I miss seeing them all the time. Around our neighborhood you don't see them too often. When I lived in California you couldn't take 2 steps without seeing one.

Is it too cold up in Canada to see hummingbirds?

Well, today, little Missy Lexi showed me that she is truly a feral outdoor kitty. We had a great blizzard and awoke to a lot of snow. I let Lexi and Tootles out for a sniff of fresh air after I shovelled the deck and Lexi just wandered straight out into the snow. It was so deep, her tummy was making prints as well as her toes! I got some cute photos. At one point, I wasn't sure if she just didn't care she was in snow, or she couldn't feel her toes anymore. Even Mr. Tootles looked at me with his "what the ....?" look. I'll post photos soon.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

** threadjack**
    Important Notice to Canadian Animal Lovers

Warning: I'm going to get political here.

Please, Stop Senate Bill S-203 - Support Private Member's Bill C-373

I am urging you to e-mail and ask your MP NOW to stop the Senate Bill S-203 dealing with animal cruelty as it lacks the teeth to effectively prosecute abusers. In fact, this bill is opposed by 145,000 Canadian citizens from across the country who signed a petition in support of a private member's Bill C-373.

Senate Bill 203 will be up for it's final reading on Wednesday, April 9th!

The CFHS, CVMA and IFAW have been actively fighting for several years to update Canada's animal cruelty laws that haven't substantially changed since 1892. They are strong proponents for legislation like Bill C-373 that not only increases penalties for animal cruelty offences, but closes the loopholes in the Criminal Code that make it difficult for enforcement agencies and the courts to convict animal abusers.

Under the existing laws, conviction rates of animal cruelty complaints are only one quarter of 1% due to the antiquated wording of our 116- year- old legislation. Bill S-203 does nothing to change these statistics, it merely adjusts the fines for inflation.

Bill S-203 is also opposed by every major animal welfare organization in Canada including our veterinarians and humane societies. It makes absolutely no sense to pass a bill that is opposed by our frontline workers.

I have provided this link to Pet-Abuse.com for you to review some current high-profile cases. This site also indicates the low conviction rates of these cases.

Pet-Abuse.Com - Animal Abuse Database - Search Results

This federal government has made dealing with violent crime a cornerstone of their mandate and yet continues to ignore the documentation linking acts of animal cruelty and violent crimes against humans, particularly women and children. In my mind, animal cruelty, particularly pre-meditated mutilation where tools were used such as flammable agents, weapons, rope, duct tape etc., are serious in nature and should be viewed as a threat to the safety of our society.

Yesterday Bill S-203 went to 3rd and 1st hour of debate in the House of Commons. The NDP introduced two amendments to delete the bill, but they were not successful.

Go to Queen Waldorf for more information on differences between these two bills. Click on Animal Cruelty Laws, Animal Cruelty Amendments at a Glance. If you are convinced that Bill 203 is not enough, as I am, please e-mail your MP NOW and urge them to vote against the bill.

Find you MP here Contact Your Government | Canada Site

--------------------------
    Here is what you need to tell your MP:

Dear Mr. Minister:

Dealing with animal cruelty is not a partisan issue. Please represent your constituents when the free vote is held in the House. You have one final chance to vote against the Senate bill on behalf of those who strive for a better caring society.

As my representative, I ask that you will:

1) Vote in favour of the NDP amendment to delete Bill S-203;

2) Convince others that the Conservatives need to introduce a bill similar to C-373 and actively strive make it government legislation;

3) Continue to work on this issue and address the other flaws within our cruelty laws such as training animals to fight each other, removing the term "wilful" from the neglect section.

Sincerely, (your name)
    -------------------------------
    For the Love of Animals and Pets in Canada, please take action now and e-mail your MP NOW. Send this to everyone you know in Canada who loves animals and their pets.

I thank you. And our animals and pets thank you.

**end threadjack**

ETA: No animals were harmed in the writing of this post.
    Last edited by misskitty; 04-05-2008 at 11:39 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Roses, thanks for posting the pics of Ms.Hummingbird--be sure to take on when it hatches as well. That little nest is so cute, and looks really nice and soft for the baby!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A little off the subject, but not really, I was surprised at how stinky birds' nests are.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2898180;
    A little off the subject, but not really, I was surprised at how stinky birds' nests are.
    and to a bird your "nest" stinks also... so there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I would never invite them into my nest, thank you very much, but I get stuck picking up theirs!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm catching up on everyone's news and photos after being seriously attacked by the flu bug for the past ten days or so. I'm glad to hear that everyone and their furry friends are doing well and I especially loved the Hummingbird pics!

We had some severe weather on Friday. When the tornado warning was issued, I took blankets and pillows (and a large bloody mary) and the dogs and we huddled in our "place of safety" (closet) for awhile. After the weather moved on, I went about my usual activities. Mr. Doxie arrived home a few hours later and we realized that Henry didn't run to greet him as he usually does. So, we searched for Henry and found him still in the closet, sound asleep in the little nest that he'd made for himself out of the blankets and pillows.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Smart boy Henry, found a comfy spot and stayed there.

MRD

I am happy to report that Bogie is healing very well. We no longer have need of a bandage and all seems to be well. And he's still trying to get Waldo to roughhouse with him. Hasn't learned a darn thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread