+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2886626;
    Miss Kitty, those photos and captions of the kitties are too cute.

Gabriel, Joey could be a spokescat for Crest White Strips now.

Archie, I think you are right, he was really hurt and was trying his best to let me know. I still feel the guilt (where is the hanging head in shame smilie?)

Hey, everyone, come to my house for Beer and Waffles! And you can watch mom try to catch Bogie and bandage his wound. It's Happy Hour with entertainment! No where else can you get a treat like this!!!!

The dog looks like he's dressed for Halloween. I have obviously used a lesser brand of gauze and it is RAGGED in less than a day! He looks like Mummy Dog Meets Abbott and Costello.

Ok, the wound is not getting worse, but its also not getting a lot better. I have to wonder if now the gauze rubbing it (it will NOT stay in place no matter what I do, because he's an active dog) is irritating it. But it still needs to be covered and not left open. Any suggestions??? I'm thinking of taking one of my husband's clean tube socks and cutting the foot off and using that over the gauze pad and gauze wrapping. Kind of like a turtleneck sweater with out the sweather. Think it would work?
    Buy a kids PJ jumper and cut out holes for him to do his business. My kitty (god rest her soul) loved the taste of the medicine we put on her injury and would rip off the bandage to get at it (she had a hole in her leg, so it was like a convenient little cup ... ewwwwww).

A smart dog can take off a sock (they like to play with them and my dog would always undress himself quickly ... OK I was a kid then!). But they can't take things over their head

and beer and waffles? New taste treat. Ohhh. I'll bring syrup and champagne!

Gabriel, Joey could be a spokescat for Crest White Strips now.
    Okay -- voiceover - *morris the cat type* "My STAFF treats my teeth with Crest White Strips - wake your staff up now and have them do it."
    Archie, I think you are right, he was really hurt and was trying his best to let me know. I still feel the guilt (where is the hanging head in shame smilie?)
    Sometimes it happens- at least you got it before it got worse and he still loves you - we all do.
    Hey, everyone, come to my house for Beer and Waffles! And you can watch mom try to catch Bogie and bandage his wound. It's Happy Hour with entertainment! No where else can you get a treat like this!!!!
    Laughing picturing us forters sitting around - using German accents drinking beer and eating waffles...
    The dog looks like he's dressed for Halloween. I have obviously used a lesser brand of gauze and it is RAGGED in less than a day! He looks like Mummy Dog Meets Abbott and Costello.
    Ok, the wound is not getting worse, but its also not getting a lot better. I have to wonder if now the gauze rubbing it (it will NOT stay in place no matter what I do, because he's an active dog) is irritating it. But it still needs to be covered and not left open. Any suggestions??? I'm thinking of taking one of my husband's clean tube socks and cutting the foot off and using that over the gauze pad and gauze wrapping. Kind of like a turtleneck sweater with out the sweather. Think it would work?
    Is the would itself healing over at all? I like the sock idea. Does Bogie wear clothes at all? How about a real sweater? You might want to strongly consider a vet visit.

MRD

The wound is on his neck, so he's left it alone, but just his activity causes the bandage to slide around his neck (like my necklace does to me), so I'm thinking that if he has the "tube" part of the tube sock around his neck, it might help with the slippage.
    The neck is a really hard place to bandage as I have had to literally wrap the gauze around his neck, but with all the fur, you can't tape it.
    And he can't pull this off his neck.
    He's been very good about the whole thing and leaves it alone (Probably because he really can't get to it), but it's just in a hard place to do anything about.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2886698;
    Okay -- voiceover - *morris the cat type* "My STAFF treats my teeth with Crest White Strips - wake your staff up now and have them do it."
    Sometimes it happens- at least you got it before it got worse and he still loves you - we all do.
    Laughing picturing us forters sitting around - using German accents drinking beer and eating waffles...

Is the would itself healing over at all? I like the sock idea. Does Bogie wear clothes at all? How about a real sweater? You might want to strongly consider a vet visit.
    Oh Gabriel, you have me about the Staff and the white strips. I can just picture it.

Bogie HATES clothes, but I think the sock might work. He could get the sweater off, he has before.

It was healing fine until we started having bandage trouble and I serously think that the guaze rubbing back and forth has irritated it because it has rubbed the scab off. If it is not better tomorrow, we will go to the vet. But I wasn't worried until today and I'm not all that worried as it's not infected at all. We only started having problems last night and its been the bandage in the last 24 hours that has been a pain in the neck (apparantly literally) and so I do think it is the bandage problem. If we can solve that, I think it will healing fine. It's really not a deep wound, but the scab has kind of been rubbed off today. That's really the whole problem I think.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2886720;
    The wound is on his neck, so he's left it alone, but just his activity causes the bandage to slide around his neck (like my necklace does to me), so I'm thinking that if he has the "tube" part of the tube sock around his neck, it might help with the slippage.
    The neck is a really hard place to bandage as I have had to literally wrap the gauze around his neck, but with all the fur, you can't tape it.
    And he can't pull this off his neck.
    He's been very good about the whole thing and leaves it alone (Probably because he really can't get to it), but it's just in a hard place to do anything about.
    hmmm .. neck? I missed that part. Darn. My suggestion won't work. How about a headband? It is already bigger cut, won't ravel and is made to gently hug something to keep it down.

Rosiedog, if it were me, I'd take the bandage and his collar off and only put it on when he goes out to P. Your house surely is't that dirty. Even if it means No outdoor playing for a few days, till it starts scabbing real well. Plenty of Neosporin. If you feel that it really needs a bandage, borrow a pair of clippers and shave all the fur off for a couple of inches around the wound and tape to that.
    If the wound is a little icky, you could go to the feed store and get some Gentian Violet (or whatever name brand medicine they are overcharging for nowadays) or other would dressing intended to dry up sores as they heal.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

So it's kind of like a kid who keeps picking the scab off. Will he sit still long enough for you to either trim or shave the hair around it? If so - then go with that bandage idea.

myrosie, don't feel bad. A few months ago my indoor/mostly outdoor cat had a deep wound on his neck and by the time I noticed it I could tell he'd had it a little while (maybe over a week). His attitude and appetite were fine, which is one reason I didn't notice anything. Even with him getting his petting and scritching I didn't see it. He turned to his side to get a better petting and that's when I finally saw it. I felt awful for not seeing it earlier. It wasn't bleeding either, it was just a deep hole. I thought maybe someone got him with a bb gun.

I put some neosporin on it but he ran off and I wasn't able to get hold of him again for a few days. I finally got him to the vet and she said it looked like he might have gotten into a fight with another animal. He's updated on his shots but she prescribed an antibiotic and said to leave the wound as it was, that it would heal. I thought he needed stitches but she didn't think so. It wasn't easy getting the two doses of liquid in him a day for 7 days but I did and it's healing up slowly but surely. She told me it would take a while.

So what I'm saying after all that () is that it might be fine to just leave it open to air out and it will heal in its own time. If you're worried about bacteria maybe neosporin or some other ointment will be enough to keep it covered but without needing a bandage. (oops, I see queenB said pretty much the same thing)
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 04-01-2008 at 10:02 PM.

MRD

Thanks all for the help and advice.

He hasn't had his collar on (which makes me nervous) at all, because its right under the collar.
    The tube sock thing worked like a CHARM!
    I did clip the hair off on Sat. when I discovered it as I couldn't really get to it because of the fur, but I used scissors, I didn't shave it. But so far so good with the tube sock over the gauze.
    I do hesitate to keep it open because my carpet probably isn't the cleanest right now and he lays with it on the carpet (and he's the one that drags his butt on the carpet periodically, so.......) and Rosie wants to lick the neosporin off as soon as I put it on.

Anyway, I've been keeping neosporin on it since I discovered it and n ow that we seem to have the bandage rubbing taken care if, I think things will be ok. It's just going to take time to heal. It's not infected, the skin around is pink and healthy looking and there is no pus or bad smell, so I'm fairly sure that he's ok. He's eating, pooping and playing and totally back to his normal self, so he isn't feeling any ill effects.

Now we just wait and see. But if it's not a lot better in a day or so, I will go to the vet.
    I had thought about using that "clear skin" stuff on it. But wasn't sure about it. A lady from Greyhound rescue was telling me about it in Walgreens the other day.

Thanks for all the support guys. I hate it when the dog is hurt or sick because they can't tell you and you can't tell them to LEAVE IT ALONE.
    I will be glad when he's all healed.

MRD: Awww poor Bogie. I hope that he gets better really soon! I'd like to come over for beer and waffles too, please!

gabriel: Meowza, what gorgeous teeth Joseph has! Definitely should be a spokeskitty!

Please send some get-well wishes for my Gracie-kins. She has been somewhat grumpy and not herself the last couple of days. I saw she was having some trouble going in her litter box as well. So yesterday I wisked her off to the Emergency Vet Hospital at 7:30pm.

It took quite a while to see the Dr. as it turned out to be a busy evening there. Gracie was good in her pet tax ride and wait in the waiting room and exam room. She has a fever of what would amount to 104F in people terms. She has an infection and has colitis/inflammatory bowel which is painful. The vet thinks that the stress of bringing in Lexi and all the construction, or destruction, noise from the reno's next door have contributed.

She had two shots of antibiotics last night and I have some medication for the next few days. Yes, I have to pill the cat! I slept with her last night in the downstairs bedroom so we would have peace and quiet and she wouldn't have any visitors. She purred and slept well. When I got up, I went back to bed upstairs so Mr. Tootles and Lexi wouldn't feel rejected and slept another hours or so. How I love playing musical beds with my kitts!

Gracie is definitely feeling a bit better. She wanted to go outside for a sniffy and some sunshine. She's resting comfortably and did eat her treats today. I'm sure she's on the mend. But any well wishes and healing energy would be appreciated!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread